Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Can i recommend this, in case it's of interest:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/CD86-Tracks-From-Birth-Indie/dp/B000HT3KO2

This is the best C86 compilation out there IMO - from the obscure to the classic. No Furniture (sorry HKFC), but dripping with fantastic songs. Apart from the obvious ones, I love The Sun A Small Star by The Servants and Vibrato by East Village. So when's our big C86 party? East Stand, August 10th? I'll wear a flowery shirt. We need some songs - Upson Down? Velocity Greer?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Can i recommend this, in case it's of interest:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/CD86-Tracks-From-Birth-Indie/dp/B000HT3KO2

This is the best C86 compilation out there IMO - from the obscure to the classic. No Furniture (sorry HKFC), but dripping with fantastic songs. Apart from the obvious ones, I love The Sun A Small Star by The Servants and Vibrato by East Village. So when's our big C86 party? East Stand, August 10th? I'll wear a flowery shirt. We need some songs - Upson Down? Velocity Greer?

That's a great CD as is this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rough-Trade-Shops-Indiepop-1/dp/B0002SF76M

Well up for a C86 meet. The Wedding present festival after the Burnely game ( August 24th) would be a perfect opportunity/ venue. Concorde 2.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
That's a great CD as is this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rough-Trade-Shops-Indiepop-1/dp/B0002SF76M

Well up for a C86 meet. The Wedding present festival after the Burnely game ( August 24th) would be a perfect opportunity/ venue. Concorde 2.

I've got that compilation too. A fair bit of overlap, with some strange but not unpleasant choices (Mary Lou Lord and Love Is All - whose debut i like a lot). Can't live with that Spearmint song though - there's such a thing as trying too hard to write a "classic". Alas, am on hols on the 24th, but I'm sure it'll be a goodie. Hasn't Pevenseagull already pledged the rest of his liver for this one?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I've got that compilation too. A fair bit of overlap, with some strange but not unpleasant choices (Mary Lou Lord and Love Is All - whose debut i like a lot). Can't live with that Spearmint song though - there's such a thing as trying too hard to write a "classic". Alas, am on hols on the 24th, but I'm sure it'll be a goodie. Hasn't Pevenseagull already pledged the rest of his liver for this one?

Indeed he has. As for Spearmint I agree exactly with what you are saying. I know the guy who produced this actual song so must be careful!!!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
There's also this new box set from Cherry Red which I noticed the other day:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scared-Happ.../tracks/B00CI5MXNM/ref=dp_tracks_all_3#disc_3

Bizarrely tempted by it even though I've got everything that I want on it already. Nice to see a Bodines track other than Therese on a compilation though.

I'm exactly the same. I'm desperate to hear the "indie version" of Are You Ready To Be Heartbroken. Will probably sound very similar to the original...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
All my vinyl went years ago. This thread reminded me that there was one record bag in the garage, with about a dozen discs in it. Dug it out this evening, and found these.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The one next to the McCarthy one is a Creation records charity long-player from 1988

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
All my vinyl went years ago. This thread reminded me that there was one record bag in the garage, with about a dozen discs in it. Dug it out this evening, and found these.

View attachment 44804

View attachment 44805

The one next to the McCarthy one is a Creation records charity long-player from 1988

Ha! I had that Creation sampler. Some great stuff on it. Christine by the House of Love is a good tune frinstance.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ha! I had that Creation sampler. Some great stuff on it. Christine by the House of Love is a good tune frinstance.

I don't even know if I still have a working turntable. If it does work I'll give this a spin.

image.jpg

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Cheers for that. Just bought it for £13. Nice little treat to myself.

Tiny's one at £33 is a bit rich!

Happy to burn CDs for anyone - PM me. I've got loads of stuff on all relevant record labels. First release on Creation by The Legend is absolute cack. Loved The House of Love before they got a bit boring. Saw them supporting Felt once, which was a great gig. I think they're on HKFC's compilation, if i remember rightly. Red Sleeping Beauty by McCarthy is premier league C86 - one of the greats.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Happy to burn CDs for anyone - PM me. I've got loads of stuff on all relevant record labels. First release on Creation by The Legend is absolute cack. Loved The House of Love before they got a bit boring. Saw them supporting Felt once, which was a great gig. I think they're on HKFC's compilation, if i remember rightly. Red Sleeping Beauty by McCarthy is premier league C86 - one of the greats.

I would absolutely love that compilation you linked to, and also would love to have Growing up Absurd, and the McCarthy album I've pictured above, onto CD. I don't have the technology to transfer them.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
All 3 McCarthy albums are worthwhile - their third's probably their best. There's also a singles/ sessions compilation which is quite hard to get hold of now I think. I've got mp3s of them all plus a few live tapes if Tinycowboy can't oblige you.

Never really rated the Brilliant Corners except for the odd song.

One band missing from all the compilations is Bogshed- always one of my favourites. Apparently Phil Hartley won't allow any of their stuff to be rereleased.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I would absolutely love that compilation you linked to, and also would love to have Growing up Absurd, and the McCarthy album I've pictured above, onto CD. I don't have the technology to transfer them.

I can do the first, but not the other two (unless you sent them to me by post - probably cheaper to buy a second hand CD on eBay?). I've got one McCarthy album, something about business and bankers. Is there anything on Spotify? I've still got most of my vinyl - going through boxes of 7" singles in wraparound sleeves with bits of photocopied paper inside is one of life's indulgent pleasures.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
One band missing from all the compilations is Bogshed- always one of my favourites. Apparently Phil Hartley won't allow any of their stuff to be rereleased.

They were one of the leftfield Ron Johnson style bands. I have Let Them Eat Bogshed with the classics Panties Please and Hand Me Down Father. Occasionally unlistenable, mostly entertaining. Morning Sir is probably my favourite.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads

View attachment 44804

View attachment 44805

Still have the Creation one. Features the underrated Razorcuts & Weather Prophets

There was also a compilation called 'Take the subway to your suburbs' featuring The Chesterfields, Rosehips & PWEI

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here