Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

Flex Your Head

Some more precocious teenagers for you. There's a hint of Belle & Sebastian here, lyrically and sonically.

I really like that Si, but they don't so much as wear their influences on their sleeve as carve them into their arms with a big knife, Richie Manic style.

Been listening to a lot of The Feelies again recently, possibly inspired by The Twerps. Doesn't get much better than this. Honestly.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I've found some old tapes of stuff recorded off Peel & Kershaw shows, Turn It Up and Mark Radcliffe's psych shows in the late 80s early nineties. The tapes are mainly stretched and unplayable, but they have the names of bands and songs that I haven't thought about for years and, of course you can find a lot of them on Youtube. There is something great about hearing a song on a radio show and listening to it for years and knowing nothing about who made it, but now being able to find out more.

Anyone remember The Blind Mice - It's Not Heaven?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL_st_u7CDY

Lonesome Heart by Angst?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5kLhylMhvk&list=PLuw2PhExbxjnoy7t8hWWrMtOmf8xCS8zW&index=5

T.S. Was It Really Me? by the Vanilla Chainsaws (Australian apparently)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjbtjVlKbDQ&list=PLuw2PhExbxjnoy7t8hWWrMtOmf8xCS8zW&index=31

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Hi Staly, have you moved or were you always in Manchester? I bought a new Hood 7” the other day, felt a bit like the late 1990s. I went to Shrewsbury again a year or two again - can’t stay away from the place. Did a self-guided tour of alleyways. The kids still complain about it even now.

Sorry, sorry. Have to say I don't come on here much any more. You're far less interesting now you're a lower half Premier League team- it must be hard for you to retain interest I'd have thought.

So yeah, I'm fine. Worked from home for a year. Tried unsuccessfully to home educate the kids.

I work in Manchester (in normal times) so I always put that as my location, given that the time I spend on here is largely work time.

Flex Your Head

Also, anyone know these people?

https://preciousrecordingsoflondon.bandcamp.com/

Lots of Peel/ Long sessions I'd like them to put out. The Clouds Janice Long session, The TVPs Kershaw session, The Soup Dragons sessions etc etc

Not heard of these folk before, but yeah, there are some crackers that never got released by Strange Fruit, including a couple by 14 Iced Bears I'd love to hear again.

Flex Your Head

That's great and I love her voice. Initial misgivings on covering Buzzcocks soon fell away too.

The Reds, Pinks and Purples first LP was released on Pretty Olivia too - goes for an absolute fortune now if you can find it. Their 3rd LP 'Uncommon Weather' came out last week and is an absolute beaut. I was lucky enough to get one of the pre-order limited edition jobbies; already a copy listed on Discogs for 80 quid. It's nuts.

Uncommon.jpg

[video]https://theredspinksandpurples.bandcam p.com/track/i-hope-i-never-fall-in-love-2[/video]

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
It's getting really expensive to buy records these days. Vinyl's fashionable for collector scum now, and postage from anywhere outside the UK has rocketed after Brexit. Might have to go back to CDs.

Flex Your Head

The new Lodger album too, and they did a fabulous Rainyard reissue a few years ago which now goes for £170 on Discogs!

Blimey! That's nuts. I saw The Lodger just once, back in 2005/6 with Ballboy and Decoration - was a good night.

I normally buy CDs too, and as you say, Brexit has really f**ked up mail-order and postage costs for anything other than domestic releases. US costs are just crazy too - the postage is normally more than the LP / CD or whatever.
But I've been treating myself to an LP every 5 weeks or so since lockdown. I'm saving so much by not commuting that £20 or so once in a while doesn't really notice. Also, surprisingly, Amazon (boo, hiss) have a decent selection of sensibly priced LPs. I bought the Twerps and Smokescreens LPs through them - free postage, next day delivery, really well packed.

Anyway, apropos of nothing, here's The Bartlebees - it's all about the second song really. Still the band I most regret never having seen play live.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Also, anyone know these people?

https://preciousrecordingsoflondon.bandcamp.com/

Lots of Peel/ Long sessions I'd like them to put out. The Clouds Janice Long session, The TVPs Kershaw session, The Soup Dragons sessions etc etc

Yes - I picked up their first two releases. Think it's Blueboy next, but I think I recall that you're no fan! Really good packaging but, as people have said above, vinyl is really expensive at the moment (the two 7" singles were about £15 each), and if you miss a release and try and buy it after it's sold out, you end up being asked for £60 odd for stuff. Even bog-standard 80s and 90s albums seem to be for sale for £40+ these days....

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Even bog-standard 80s and 90s albums seem to be for sale for £40+ these days....

Yes, but only ones I haven't got.

80s and 90s albums that I do own are still dirt cheap, ones I don't own or which I do own but which are scratched and need replacing are all really expensive.

Figure that

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Yes, but only ones I haven't got.

80s and 90s albums that I do own are still dirt cheap, ones I don't own or which I do own but which are scratched and need replacing are all really expensive.

Figure that

Yeah, I noticed that too. Want an East Village 7"? Yes please. OK - that's £80. Wow - my East Village 'Circles' 12" must be worth quite a lot then? Well, maybe £4. :(

Regarding your earlier comment about Brighton not being so attractive as a middling Premier League team: I think we all feel a bit weird about that sometimes. The question of what we are now aiming for is a difficult one. If the answer is "not being relegated", then it's hardly the world's most exciting aspiration. However, looking up rather than down doesn't really appeal either. If there's one thing we've learned, it's don't forget where you've come from, but it may be that future generations of supporters will be blissfully unaware of BHAFC in the 1990s. Still, you can't stand in the way of change for too long.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here