Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Incredibly boring train travel logistics question

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I did warn you.

On the day of the Marseilles game, I have to go up to London in the morning (from Angmering, but can be Arundel if somehow makes things easier) via train to Victoria, then later I need to head back down from Victoria to BRIGHTON (around 4pm), for the bloody old footy.

How do I book the necessary trains for this without spending more than I need to? Can I do a return from Angmering to LDN VIC, but guessing barriers would stop me getting off at Brighton? Can I do Gatwick Express on way down to make it to the Amex quicker? Will it have to be 2 separate tickets rather than a return? Why are you still reading this, when it's so boring?

By way of apology for how boring this is, here's a nice picture of great 90s WWF tag team for you;

1701693933062.png

Thanks for your time.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
unless it's a super strict ticket you should be able to get off at brighton as it's technically "on the way" to angmering (in the sense that you could legitimately break up your journey there)

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
You should be fine. Certainly I have come back to Durrington via Brighton and gone through the turnstiles to use the toilet, get a drink, etc. before.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
if you have a return from Angmering to Victoria then i wouldn't worry about the Brighton part of things because when you come back from London the travel zone kicks in so you'll be able to go via Lewes or via Brighton to get to the Amex - whatever takes your fancy.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Not sure about the rest of it but at 4pm (if that’s the time you are arriving in Brighton) would that be in the correct time for you match ticket to get you through the barriers at Brighton?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Well personally l didn't find that question at all boring, however the bit that l DID find boring was the bit that l SHOULDN'T have found boring, the pics of the flipping WWF tag team or whoever they are.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For reasons unknown Angmering to Victoria takes literally a bazillion year's longer than Arundel to Victoria - literally.

For that reason I'd go up via Arundel.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The Gatwick Express isn’t that much faster unless it’s the next train

Don’t bother buying a ticket to Brighton, buy one to Haywards Heath and use your match ticket from there

EDIT - this link gives you train times off VIC to Haywards, but you might need to change to reach Brighton

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Can you get from Angmering to Wort-hinge and up to Vic that way? Get a return . . . . With the added bonus of going through Shoreham by sea and Port e s'lade😂

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
For reasons unknown Angmering to Victoria takes literally a bazillion year's longer than Arundel to Victoria - literally.

For that reason I'd go up that way.
Angmering is the start of the crawl along the coast, whereas Arundel is the faster route as avoids all the smaller stops beyond Horsham

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Can you get from Angmering to Wort-hinge and up to Vic that way? Get a return . . . . With the added bonus of going through Shoreham by sea and Port e s'lade😂
it's the same train, starts at Littlehampton and Angmering is the second stop

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I did warn you.

On the day of the Marseilles game, I have to go up to London in the morning (from Angmering, but can be Arundel if somehow makes things easier) via train to Victoria, then later I need to head back down from Victoria to BRIGHTON (around 4pm), for the bloody old footy.

How do I book the necessary trains for this without spending more than I need to? Can I do a return from Angmering to LDN VIC, but guessing barriers would stop me getting off at Brighton? Can I do Gatwick Express on way down to make it to the Amex quicker? Will it have to be 2 separate tickets rather than a return? Why are you still reading this, when it's so boring?

By way of apology for how boring this is, here's a nice picture of great 90s WWF tag team for you;

Thanks for your time.
I've done this plenty of times with an SSE-VIC return – and then jumped back on a Brighton to Shoreham-by-Sea train later on and never had a problem.

Legion of Doom FTW, by the way :rock:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
it's the same train, starts at Littlehampton and Angmering is the second stop
Same line yes, but wasn't aware the London train stopped at all the village greens, Angmering notably. There are , or waas, quick/slow options . . .

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thanks everyone - very helpful.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Same line yes, but wasn't aware the London train stopped at all the village greens, Angmering notably. There are , or waas, quick/slow options . . .
it does! Angmering is quite a busy station- two trains an hour to London

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Well personally l didn't find that question at all boring, however the bit that l DID find boring was the bit that l SHOULDN'T have found boring, the pics of the flipping WWF tag team or whoever they are.
Of course, the OP could take the route via Horsham and then come back, get off at Horsham, and take the number 17 to the park and ride at Mill Road.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here