Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Increase in Squad Value

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Indeed - in absolute terms the player values may be static or even drop, but in relative values compared to their peers, our squad must be increasing with the consistently excellent style of play (and recent run of results).

I was thinking about this yesterday.

A dip in the transfer value of players might be bad news for the club finances in the short term, but if it seriously bombed it might mean we keep hold of the stars for longer.

Bear with me on the numbers - they are just for illustrative purposes.

If selling one player in a buoyant market (Biss?) brought in £75m, we'd be less likely to need to sell anyone else and Tony might see that as a good bit of business (limited disruption to the squad because it's just one player, albeit a VERY good one) to start balancing the books.

If the only offers coming in are 'low' (£30m?) because of a deflated market, Tony's more likely to dig a bit deeper, or secure loans (very low interest rates available if you're credit worthy at the moment :)) rather than cash in one of his most valuable chips when he'll get far less for it.

I'm in no position to comment on the health of Tony's nest egg at the moment but it just wouldn't make sense, given his gambler's nature and previous investment decisions, to sell while the market is low.

So maybe a depressed transfer market is good news for us fans - maybe it makes it more likely that we'll see the whole gang, IN THE FLESH, in a packed Amex. :amex:

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
If we’re not back watching matches live soon, then values will fall across the world - the bigger clubs are being hardest - think of the likes of Man Utd match day income loss, Liverpool buying a Preston player, Arsenal borrowing £100+m, Barca with over €1bn debt and Real (€900m) in debt and as part of COVID handouts and I think I read that all Spanish clubs have to pay the govt the same amount as whatever the pay for a player. So apart from maybe the hydrocarbon economy based clubs there isn’t money to spend at all. I can see a lot of unemployed footballers this summer.

Depending on Tony’s financial position this may be good as no one can afford to by our best players.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I was thinking about how the value of the squad has increased since the start of this season, with many players soaring in value:

White was worth £25m, must now be £40m
Lamptey hadn't played much, so maybe a few million back then... now being talked about at £50m
Bissouma was probaly a £20m player, now double that.
Sanchez was the 4th choice keeper, now 4 consecutive clean sheets.
MacAllister has come from getting the odd appearance to being integral to the way we play

Anyone else?

The only players I would say have dropped in value are Ryan and Propper

It's all just 'talked about' really. We'll only find out if and when somebody actually buys of of them.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If we’re not back watching matches live soon, then values will fall across the world - the bigger clubs are being hardest - think of the likes of Man Utd match day income loss, Liverpool buying a Preston player, Arsenal borrowing £100+m, Barca with over €1bn debt and Real (€900m) in debt and as part of COVID handouts and I think I read that all Spanish clubs have to pay the govt the same amount as whatever the pay for a player. So apart from maybe the hydrocarbon economy based clubs there isn’t money to spend at all. I can see a lot of unemployed footballers this summer.

Depending on Tony’s financial position this may be good as no one can afford to by our best players.

Absolutely not true

Smallest clubs are being hit hardest. They rely on matchday income to a much greater degree.

The clubs you mention are getting a fortune from UEFA for Champs league money and and a fortune from the PL. They've only lost about 10%.

Don't pity Liverpool because the can only pay £1m for a defender.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I was thinking about this yesterday.

A dip in the transfer value of players might be bad news for the club finances in the short term, but if it seriously bombed it might mean we keep hold of the stars for longer.

Bear with me on the numbers - they are just for illustrative purposes.

If selling one player in a buoyant market (Biss?) brought in £75m, we'd be less likely to need to sell anyone else and Tony might see that as a good bit of business (limited disruption to the squad because it's just one player, albeit a VERY good one) to start balancing the books.

If the only offers coming in are 'low' (£30m?) because of a deflated market, Tony's more likely to dig a bit deeper, or secure loans (very low interest rates available if you're credit worthy at the moment :)) rather than cash in one of his most valuable chips when he'll get far less for it.

I'm in no position to comment on the health of Tony's nest egg at the moment but it just wouldn't make sense, given his gambler's nature and previous investment decisions, to sell while the market is low.

So maybe a depressed transfer market is good news for us fans - maybe it makes it more likely that we'll see the whole gang, IN THE FLESH, in a packed Amex. :amex:

Do you see Tony as a sell while the market is low type of guy?

Is that how he built him property empire do you think? Does that type of short term, cut your losses thinking permeates through in his time as BHA chairman?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think Bloom would disagree. He wants the club to be self-sustainable which really means selling a player for big money every 1 or 2 years. Apart from the style of football, it could also be argued that Hughton lost his job because of his hesitance to play the youngsters.

I'd agree with the CH comment . . . value is only applicable now once the season ghas finished.

Biss out for £40m+ should keep the pot from running dry.

hopefuly we have some new boys steppping up to the plate by then.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Absolutely not true

Smallest clubs are being hit hardest. They rely on matchday income to a much greater degree.

The clubs you mention are getting a fortune from UEFA for Champs league money and and a fortune from the PL. They've only lost about 10%.

Don't pity Liverpool because the can only pay £1m for a defender.

True what I meant was those that could pay big money for players

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Personally I see transfer fees and eventually wages being depressed for the next few years

Even if vaccinations widespread, the debt levels throughout the game have spiralled upwards and this will keep prices low.

Whether matchday income and hospitality recover soon is in question. Personally, I think it will be a good few years before it gets back to where it was.

We're very well positioned in comparison to some, as we don't have to sign players as much as others due to the academy players coming through and our wages bill is under some semblance of control (again compared to some similar ranked clubs)

The one think we have against us is players on long term deals. It means the likes of Ali J, who were previously difficult to shift are now going to be impossible to shift. But we're protected in the ones who have done well, which is the majority

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Do you see Tony as a sell while the market is low type of guy?

Is that how he built him property empire do you think? Does that type of short term, cut your losses thinking permeates through in his time as BHA chairman?

Nope, hence the point I made

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Moises Caicedo, now that his ownership/representation has been sorted, his value without even kicking a ball for us must have risen considerably.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Don't be surprised to see a willy waggling contest once all this blows over. The bigger clubs still have money, and it's all about the ego. I can see a couple of them (Real for sure) seeing this as an opportunity to close the gap/increase the gap over their rivals or just show off their (love) muscle.
With Biss, clearly he could be wanted by at least a few of those clubs. Potentially astronomical transfer fee.

If the new boys for Liverpool don't work out you could imagine them coming in for White in the summer.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Moises Caicedo, now that his ownership/representation has been sorted, his value without even kicking a ball for us must have risen considerably.

Yeah someone (maybe Vickery) said as much. That if he was Brazilian or Argentinian he'd be worth 5 times as much, and simply by buying him his value increases hugely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here