Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] In your mind, have we qualified for the Europa League?

In your mind, have we qualified for the Europa League?

• Yes - we're in the hat

Votes: 290 85.0%
  • No - fearing the nerves of being 5-0 down to City at half-time on Wednesday night

Votes: 51 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
I had a horrible thought, if the FA were to suddenly grow a pair and hit City with a big enough points deduction to knock them out of the top 6 and City won the FA cup and City didn't win the Champions League, wouldn't they get our Europa League spot?

Of course, the probabilities there are probably something like: City lose Champions League final > City win FA Cup final >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> FA grow a pair.
But surely if they get knocked out of the top 6 we move up a place?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
....and RDZ also refers to us as competing in the Europa League.
Reckon that most non-anoraks like me will be only dimly aware of the differences between the two Europa 'leagues' tho will be vaguely aware that the 'Conference' version is the lesser of the two. Whatever. Most normal people won't - quite rightly - look beyond the word 'Europa'.

And hurrah for that! It's EUROPE Baby!

:albion: :clap:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Roberto is leaving nothing to chance. I think I read that previously in his career (maybe as Sassuolo) they missed out on goal difference and he's kept that lesson with him since.
Did he also have a 16 GD overturned in two matches?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Roberto will be desperate to showcase his style against Pep's team. There is no way we will shut up shop on Wednesday. And rightly so, we should all look forward to a cracking game of football where the result is not everything...:oops:

PS. The only time I can recall RDZ shutting down the game this season was Palace at home. I'd like to think it was in part because he knew how much a win would mean to the club, fans etc. 3 points+.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Roberto will be desperate to showcase his style against Pep's team. There is no way we will shut up shop on Wednesday. And rightly so, we should all look forward to a cracking game of football where the result is not everything...:oops:
Fair to say it's not got 0-0 written all over it 😄

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I’m happy for us to roll over and let Villa win 1-0 to be honest. 6th place for us, 7th for Villa. I wonder if we could lure Harry Kane down to the South Coast and give him a chance at some European silverware…..!!!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Even if City beat the Premier League record and beat us by 10 goals, Villa would still have to beat us by 4 on Sunday.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
This last month has been filled with incredible football and enthusiastic posts. But also a tidal wave of bedwetting limp squealing. Pull yourself together this is not the time for flaccidity - we're on our way!

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Simplist answer - Pep will respect RDZ and it will be no more than 4 if it starts looking that way. He is a football purist and will want us to get into Europe.

Also, when was the last time we didn't score for 2 games in a row. I expect us to net somewhere.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
I'm saying yes on the basis that City have won the title and their key concern in these last two fixtures will be to avoid injuries to key players before the two finals. Yesterday's game against Chelsea, they played like an exhibition match.

Villa are one point ahead of Spuds with an identical goal difference. So they need to equal or better Spurs result to make the Conference. Hence can't see them throwing caution to the wind. If they do, there's evert chance they'll get picked off on the counter.

I really want us to finish with a flourish and beat Villa. The most shitehouse side at the Amex this year.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Yes, but one thing concerns me. What if USG end up in the Europa League too? The rules on having 2 teams with the same owner seem pretty clear https://www.claims.co.uk/knowledge-base/football-law/dual-ownership-of-football-clubs#:~:text=UEFA%20rules,-UEFA's%20'Integrity%20of&text=This%20states%20that%20no%20two,managed%20by%20the%20same%20person.
Even if USG make it to the CL, they could still end up in the Europa League if they finish 3rd in their group.
Bloom is the majority shareholder but not the decision-maker in the Boardroom. It’s not a problem. We are within the rules.

It’s almost as if Tony planned for this eventuality……..

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It's done. You have to consider that Villa won't come and chase a 4/5/6/7/8 goal win against us and risk losing out on 7th place. They'll play a normal game.
That was my thinking too. Say if Villa need to win 5-0 for Europa but could miss Europe completely by not winning at all, they would just try and win the game and not be concerned about battering us. If they go all-out attack they run a huge risk.

That said, if they found themselves 3-0 up with 10 mins to go we might be in trouble.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Isn't a default a 3-0 win ? Can't we just turn up late for both games ?

sir_gullahad

Dec 20, 2013
Cheltenhamshire
I had a horrible thought, if the FA were to suddenly grow a pair and hit City with a big enough points deduction to knock them out of the top 6 and City won the FA cup and City didn't win the Champions League, wouldn't they get our Europa League spot?

Of course, the probabilities there are probably something like: City lose Champions League final > City win FA Cup final >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> FA grow a pair.
From what I have heard, the case isn't going to be resolved this year, next year or anytime soon.

If point deductions or actual punishments are the outcome, I imagine that the prospect of an end to the case recede even further into the future.

Put an asterisk on the final table and forget about it for now.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Over the season as an (almost) whole, I’d say this table is a genuine meritocracy:

- we were better than Villa, Spurs, Fulham, Brentford. We achieved 6th without Villa’s rolling around on the floor or the awful Conte 9 man defence, the beautiful game came out on top.
- Arsenal and Trossard in no way deserved to be champions, their luck run out after 29 games.
- this is good for football, we’ve torn up norms. Wolves, Spurs, Fulham, Everton, Villa and Chelsea have invested eye watering sums on the playing side. Now watch all the imitators!

IMG_4200.png

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Well, us nervous little flowers can relax now. I even did a little jig in the front room.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here