Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] In praise of Fulham, Brentford and, cough, them lot…

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Just watched the last half hour, they are a little lie we were under CH at times, defend well hoof it clear, hopefully yer man up front can relieve the pressure

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Toney is a very good striker who if he didn't have the betting issue would have been picked up by a top 6 club (though Newcastle must be regretting letting him go). Interesting that Brentford are still playing him , yet England decided not to .

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Toney is a very good striker who if he didn't have the betting issue would have been picked up by a top 6 club (though Newcastle must be regretting letting him go). Interesting that Brentford are still playing him , yet England decided not to .
To be fair it was down to him or Wilson and could have gone either way in my opinion

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Brentford arguably done better than us in PL since joining. The mindset from majority our fans I recall upon promotion was we couldn’t expect more than 4th from bottom/slowly slowly season by season slight improvements. Brentford and Fulham both showing that actually you can just go for it and don’t have to settle for 17th,16th,15th…ie it’s possible to come up and finish higher immediately.
Fulham have had to endure two immediate relegations before finally making it stick. Let’s also bare in mind we’ve turned into the new year but not at the halfway stage yet.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
To be fair it was down to him or Wilson and could have gone either way in my opinion
Who would you have picked , me it would have been Toney by a long way he is more versatile & powerful more like Kane than Wilson. England didn't pick him because Wilson was in better form or maybe Southgate just thought Wilson must be better as he is at a better(higher) club.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I really like Brentford. Great fans and Frank gives some of the most insightful interviews in the league. Answers questions honestly, rather than using managerspeak, which in turns generates better questions by pundits.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Brentford arguably done better than us in PL since joining. The mindset from majority our fans I recall upon promotion was we couldn’t expect more than 4th from bottom/slowly slowly season by season slight improvements. Brentford and Fulham both showing that actually you can just go for it and don’t have to settle for 17th,16th,15th…ie it’s possible to come up and finish higher immediately.
Fulham 'went for it' and spent 100m and went straight back down 2 season ago. I rather think they are learning their lessons and building a decent team with a good young manager. And Brentford finished 13th last year only 6 points away from 17th. Si I'd argue in their own way they've both slowly improved and learnt lessons over time.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Any teams that are local and not the haven of the glory hunter do it for me. Brentford, Fulham, and even that lot.

Good luck to them, obviously not at our expense.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
We are the media darlings by comparison, lots of nice comments for past 2 seasons etc.

Surprised these 3 aren’t getting as many plaudits when there’s hardly anything in it really. Brentford especially have impressed since promotion.
Thosd clubs don't appear to have the same corporate strategy to have a press release lined up for literally everything or get the CEO on talksport every time they win a couple of games

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Fulham have yo-yoed for years so I don’t think their “1st” season up is really comparable to us or Brentford.

Are Brentford a one man team? (A genuine question as I don’t watch enough non Albion football at the moment to know).
No

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Fulham 'went for it' and spent 100m and went straight back down 2 season ago. I rather think they are learning their lessons and building a decent team with a good young manager. And Brentford finished 13th last year only 6 points away from 17th. Si I'd argue in their own way they've both slowly improved and learnt lessons over time.
13th is very respectable for their initial season. Better than ours, and the following. Fulham have also finished impressively higher, enjoying a European run too, in previous PL seasons following promotion so it depends if you choose to ignore that as part of ‘leant lessons.’ Certainly I’d love us to experience the same!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I think it is probably that we are held up as the medium sized club to follow, not just on the field of play but set up. We are often mentioned now as the club to emulate when achieving EPL status. Palace you can discount from that and even Fulham to a lessor extent, Brentfofd though are almost a mini-me. Not surprising considering the chairman's background.
Indeed - they seem to have copied just about everything we've done except they've concentrated their recruitment in particular from Denmark. I was in Denmark in the summer and the Danes love Brentford.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Watching the game last night, an impression I've had for a while was reconfirmed. There is a gradual levelling of the playing field underway. Up and coming - us, Brentford, Palace, NUFC, Fulham. Feeling the pace - well. Liverpool, Spurs, Wet Sham, Everton. That's a good thing for the League.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Most big clubs have been too lazy and content and thought it would just sort itself if they spent more cash. Others have caught up.

Two years of bad recruitment usually takes two years to fix, three years take three years to fix and so on. This is not particularly good for some top sides.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
It's fair to say that no Fulham fans thought we'd be this high up the table at this stage of the season. It's 3rd time lucky (actually, learning from past mistakes and an excellent coaching team) in our summer window purchases (Willian, Pereira, Leno and Palhiñha especially) and excellent blending with the existing squad that's got us here. Having said that, we're short of strikers - Mitro is out for the game against Chelscum that we desperately want to win - and we expect a characteristic losing streak soon.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Be interesting to see what happens to Everton's new stadium plans if they go down?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I see Brentford are signing a striker from Germany - preparation for 'possibly' being without Toney for long, long time....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here