Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] In full Bloom: Brighton well set for success with or without De Zerbi

el punal

Probably the greatest English manager of all time.
Herbert Chapman. He won the First Division twice in a row and the FA Cup with Huddersfield and again with Arsenal. Oh, and don’t forget how Bob Paisley did at Liverpool. Brian Clough, in my view, was successful because of his partnership with Peter Taylor.

el punal

................................. and one of the worst ever Brighton managers.

I've never before or since seen a team trotting out to start a home game for Brighton scared shitless to go anywhere near the ball, and certainly showing every possible bit of body language that they didn't want to be there. Clough's 'work'.
Best thing he ever did for the Albion was buggering off.
I suggest that you read Spencer Vignes’s excellent book ‘Bloody Southerners’ for the real lowdown on Clough at the Albion.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nope, both…..as we lost

All we can say about football is there are certain things that increase the probability of a win. But they cannot guarantee it.

Expensive players
Good manager (coaching, team selection, tactics, motivation, ability to adapt during a game)
Weaker opposition

The chances of a win for us today are low, with tactics and the ability to adapt during the game critical if we are to get anything.

el punal

All we can say about football is there are certain things that increase the probability of a win. But they cannot guarantee it.

Expensive players
Good manager (coaching, team selection, tactics, motivation, ability to adapt during a game)
Weaker opposition

The chances of a win for us today are low, with tactics and the ability to adapt during the game critical if we are to get anything.
Just a thought - two years ago we played Arsenal at the Emirates. We’d won just one PL game in the previous eleven fixtures, and scored only one goal in the previous six games. Yet we put in a stellar performance and beat the Gooners 2-1. We then went on to complete the season with just one defeat (Man City) and four wins and two draws. A repeat of that would be good. :drink:

Exilegull

Mar 14, 2024
Bottom half budget, we sold our two brilliant CM’ers, we lost a huge number of PL goals (Mac, Enciso, Solly, Mitoma). I know not playing Verbruggen is one of your many criticisms, I agree now that he should be no.1, but Steele got us into Europe and his distribution in a passing based team was key to our many successes.

Then that question again …. why did no one say on NSC say that Potter was better between the Chelsea 4-1 and Sept 23?
Youve asked that question a few times now. If you remove the Potter part that has nothing to do with anything the answer is that before Sept 23 we won games played well and scored goals. Since then we have 6 league wins in nearly 7 months and a goal average of about a goal per game. Our squad is not as good as last year but its a lot better than that. Cult of Zerbi is strong like someone said but I´m sick and tired of losing and playing bad. If he need two world class midfielders to win then why would anything look better next year we cant buy world class players we need to make them

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Youve asked that question a few times now. If you remove the Potter part that has nothing to do with anything the answer is that before Sept 23 we won games played well and scored goals. Since then we have 6 league wins in nearly 7 months and a goal average of about a goal per game. Our squad is not as good as last year but its a lot better than that. Cult of Zerbi is strong like someone said but I´m sick and tired of losing and playing bad. If he need two world class midfielders to win then why would anything look better next year we cant buy world class players we need to make them

The CM point is that other than work in progress Baleba, we’ve had no one with mobility/power who naturally destroys opposition attacks for 90 minutes. Critical to every successful team in football. No one said we need to spend £150m. Endo, Palhinha .. the PL has many examples.

Added to loss of good goal stats from Mac, Solly, Mitoma, Enciso.

The effect, we’ve found our natural PL place.

Were you attacking the cult of RDZ when we played the greatest football ever and highest league place? Would be interested to see your multiple posts criticising the cult of RDZ at the time.

Exilegull

Mar 14, 2024
Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes.
Brian Clough.

So, it was the player, not the tactics?

We lost to Wolves because we didn’t score a goal not because Steel conceded a goal. Had Bart saved that, it would still be 0-0.
Going to stop making the math behind this logic before getting an aneurysm but the idea here seems to be the tactics are never right or wrong and players lose games tho nothing about them winning games. But there is an exception when Roberto is putting his adopted son in goal because then it can never be his fault if something like a goalie clanger happens its Barts fault for not playing. Guess Bartolomew is no apostle in this religion

Exilegull

Mar 14, 2024
The CM point is that other than work in progress Baleba, we’ve had no one with mobility/power who naturally destroys opposition attacks for 90 minutes. Critical to every successful team in football. No one said we need to spend £150m. Endo, Palhinha the PL had many examples.

Added to loss of good goal stats from Mac, Solly, Mitoma, Enciso.

The effect, we’ve found our natural PL place.

Were you attacking the cult of RDZ when we played the greatest football ever and highest league place? Would be interested to see your multiple posts criticising the cult of RDZ at the time.
No I didn´t because we played great football and won games but now when were on down ward spiral with no sign of improvement. Ebb and flow with Potter and Houghton but this poor run is getting long. In 1 month its 1 year since Everton 5-1 defeat unless we win games now the great start to this season will be hiding our worst 12 months of results since Chris last year in charge not good enough no one can say this squad is that bad. When will it be ok to have different opniion from what I had Sept 22 2023??

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
The mistake was made in the 2nd minute of the game. We had about another 100 minutes to get an equaliser, but didn't. The whole team and subs are responsible for that part.
The goal changed the game completely, at 0-0 Wolves don’t play the way they did for as long as they did. It could have been a 2nd minute 25 yard worldie, but it wasn’t it was a 2nd minute keeper f*** up.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
The goal changed the game completely, at 0-0 Wolves don’t play the way they did for as long as they did. It could have been a 2nd minute 25 yard worldie, but it wasn’t it was a 2nd minute keeper f*** up.
Yes of course Steele has major responsibility for the goal but Van Hecke was turned by the attacker on the halfway line and made to look like a cart horse and the goal scorer got in front of Estupian and beat him to the ball. This is a team game and the whole collection of them should have done much better.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
I anticipate he will want to stay because he won’t actually be offered a job that will be better than the one he has.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I anticipate he will want to stay because he won’t actually be offered a job that will be better than the one he has.
Fair point, you may well be right. Maybe though he'd be tempted to go home to Italy if a half decent Serie A club made him an offer?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
And that would be a real shame as I would rather give someone else the job that actually wants it.

De Zerbi out !!

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
The thread is about Albion so don't wish to deflect it further but imo Clough was exceptional. Yes he was best with Peter Taylor, yes he was rubbish here and yes he was clearly flawed(aren’t we all?), but with Derby and Forest he built two teams that were far more than the sum of their individual abilities. There were undoubtedly many who didn’t respond to his man management but those that did exceeded their natural abilities and were fulsome in their appreciation of what they were part of.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here