Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

In Chris Hughton we trust

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Kayal is certainly one, not sure Best can count as significant though, the returns of Lua Lua and Stephens are significant however.

I also think keeping Halford was a good bit of business. He looked very good prior to his injury.

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
I think we'll come good in a couple more games and show what a good team we are with every player fit.

With JFC and Holla replaced and a midfield/attack consisting of Ince, Stephens, Kayal, Tex, kazenga and Best.

If they gel that's going to be easily mid table to playoff quality

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
When are season ticket renewals due?

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Everyone on here seems a lot more confident than me. There seems to be an opinion we will pull away from the relegation zone relatively easily ( I hope so!). I was away in Asia on business for the Ipswich and Arsenal game so have perhaps missed the upturn. Can someone please explain why we are suddenly looking like a decent mid table side please?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Brighton prepared for window - Bloom

"In terms of recruitment, we are ahead of the game".

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30645197

More spin, exactly how were/are we ahead of the game?

I expect some more smoke and mirrors over the next few days from Barber, telling us what a fine job we did in the window and how difficult everything is, but we came up trumps.

We have renewed a loan, brought in an out of favour forward with little game time and an injury prone midfielder. It may all work out but it's not really earth shattering business is it? In fact both permanents are a bit risky.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Everyone on here seems a lot more confident than me. There seems to be an opinion we will pull away from the relegation zone relatively easily ( I hope so!). I was away in Asia on business for the Ipswich and Arsenal game so have perhaps missed the upturn. Can someone please explain why we are suddenly looking like a decent mid table side please?
Because, ignoring the Blackpool farce, we have taken 10 points in the 5 championship games since SH resigned: Reading, Fulham, Charlton, Brentford, Ipswich. And we also beat Brentford in the cup and pushed Arsenal close.

Even if you include the Blackpool result it's still 10 points from 6, which is play off form. It's been done to death, but anyone who went seems to agree that Saturday's pitch was so poor that the performance and result shouldn't be taken as any sort of indication of our current form.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
The wrap up this morning on the Albion website rather looks like an apology for not signing any other players. They may have been trying but didn't succeed, or perhaps there's movement coming on the emergency loan market. The Nzuzi Toko story is the biggest mystery (and waste of money) for me. Was he half a million ? - contract cancelled it says - that means a write off equivalent to £20 per season ticket holder. Could have kept the beer prices down if that deal hadn't been done.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
TThe Nzuzi Toko story is the biggest mystery (and waste of money) for me. Was he half a million ? - contract cancelled it says - that means a write off equivalent to £20 per season ticket holder. Could have kept the beer prices down if that deal hadn't been done.

He arrived on a free transfer (see: http://www1.skysports.com/football/...first-signing-of-summer-midfielder-nzuzi-toko ) and his contract was mutually cancelled. (http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11741/9654577/brighton-and-toko-part-ways ) so just his wages...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The wrap up this morning on the Albion website rather looks like an apology for not signing any other players. They may have been trying but didn't succeed, or perhaps there's movement coming on the emergency loan market. The Nzuzi Toko story is the biggest mystery (and waste of money) for me. Was he half a million ? - contract cancelled it says - that means a write off equivalent to £20 per season ticket holder. Could have kept the beer prices down if that deal hadn't been done.
He signed from a decent club as a first teamer, so his wages would've been in the region of 10K a week. Given that he has been here since June, and the probable signing fee that tends to accompany a 'free' transfer, I'd imagine that in total Toko has cost the club in the region of 500k, or, as you say, £20 per season ticket.

The above is an excellent example as to why the club should not be making panic signings that have to be paid for over the next 6 months, when, based on January's results, they can have a reasonable degree of confidence that the current squad are good enough to keep us up.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Because, ignoring the Blackpool farce, we have taken 10 points in the 5 championship games since SH resigned: Reading, Fulham, Charlton, Brentford, Ipswich. And we also beat Brentford in the cup and pushed Arsenal close.

Even if you include the Blackpool result it's still 10 points from 6, which is play off form. It's been done to death, but anyone who went seems to agree that Saturday's pitch was so poor that the performance and result shouldn't be taken as any sort of indication of our current form.

OK, so with regards to how we are playing can you explain that a little more. I'm assuming the ball is sticking upfront with COG, bringing the midfielders into the game much higher up the pitch. Is it as simple as that? Or are we also looking more organised in defence etc?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Should have moved for a new scapegoat during the window -- it's not safe going into a relegation scrap with only one player at that position.

He might come good, and then where would we be?
Easy, blame Greer! He seems to be the back up when the main scapegoat is out of action.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking

Fair enough but you can't cherry pick the results that you consider "valid" when assessing our chances. The fact is that both Brentford and Blackpool happened. We have definitely seen signs of life far better than anything we saw under Hyppia but we remain in 21st within one match of the drop zone and other teams have started picking up points. The notion that we are in anything other than a relegation battle is laughable (I don't have the figures to hand but there can't be many teams making the playoffs that were 21st in February).

I think we will have enough about us to escape relegation but I don't expect to see us easily climb away. It's going to be nervous and messy. That's just the way life is at this end of the table.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I've never been a betting man. This goes some way to explaining why :lol:

So I have given us a 35% chance of relegation and they have given us 12.5%. I am perfectly happy to give way to the experts on this one.

We are actually 1/9 to stay up with both firms - so 10%!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Me too. Can't help it.

I think the club think there are more of us willing to just keep handing over money than there actually are. I predict a massive falling off in renewals next year. One because of the lack of ambition this season and two because it's dead easy to get a ticket with the size of the stadium.

The downside is that we"ll probably sell anyone we get an offer for and replace them with risks and kids or loans as the revenues will fall away dramatically. Just staying up will probably be our ambition until the academy produces.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don't trust anyone who picks JFC.

And, therefore, you don't trust Hughton. In addition, you don't trust Jones, Hyypia, Garcia or Poyet either. Who is it that you trust to pick the team? The options seem to be restricted to you. And get this: I don't trust you, because you're woefully underqualified and inexperienced.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here