Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Improving

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Not really sure if Ulloa's performance was an 'improvement' on previous performances. He was awful before the goal, no first touch and just seemed lacklustre. If he hadn't scored people wouldn't be saying that.

-gully-

The Flux Capacitor
Nov 7, 2009
Shrewsbury
We are well overdue giving some unlucky team an absolute tonking with the number of chances we are creating. One of those matches where everything clicks can't be far away.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I liked the short corner that got passed back to the half way line.

That was just dumb. Having two players standing over a corner is fair enough, as the defence don't know whether they're defending an outswinger or an inswinger. But to tap it to each other with no consequence is fcking stupid. And that of course is exactly what they did. And we all knew they would.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Our last six games are P6 W3 D1 L2 F4 A3 Pts 10

We could have won or lost at Burnley, could have drawn at Derby, could have lost to Donny had Billy Sharp not missed a sitter.

The defence (except against Watford) is our strength, but relying on 1-0 victories to get us to the playoffs could be our downfall as if we concede we struggle.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
relying on 1-0 victories to get us to the playoffs could be our downfall as if we concede we struggle.

I don't think we are though, at least not intentionally. We haven't had a settled attacking unit all season - KLL in and out, Buckley largely out and not any good when in, Ulloa being out and then off-form, Barnes filling in and then sold, Lita briefly appearing, CMS not here at all and Crofts getting injured at a key time - it's no great surprise that we've been perpetually misfiring coming forward.

It does seem to be coming together now and Garcia shows signs of preferring to try for 2-0 than gambling on holding out for 1-0.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not really sure if Ulloa's performance was an 'improvement' on previous performances. He was awful before the goal, no first touch and just seemed lacklustre. If he hadn't scored people wouldn't be saying that.

Yes they would, as evidenced by Saturday's game, when he also scored, but people still rightly pointed out, he was very poor. He was noticeable better yesterday. Not fully firing by any means, but significantly better

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I wasn't there last night but the commentary made a few references to Ulloa's "heavy touch" when receiving the ball, but he scored which is what he is paid to do, his touch can only get better as it was one of his attributes last season. More game time will see this happen. Ince and March can only improve with more game time to I imagine. Lua Lua, according to the Argus still has niggly injury problems so may well continue to be used sparingly as an impact sub. Buckley being back is also a big plus but I have my reservations about how many games he can play with his hamstring problems.

We won again and had plenty of shots. although less on target than Leeds according to the stats.

The thing I like most about Oscar are his positive substitutions and his desire to make attacking subs, unlike Gus who would almost certainly have made defensive subs. It will misfire in some games but overall I think the Oscar way is the way to go.

We are going to tonk a team soon, I hope it's Wigan.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, the two wins are good. Yes, being 1 point outside the play-offs is good.

The best thing though, surely, is how we do seem to be coming into form at just the right time. We were considerably better than Leeds last night to the point I think 1-0 flattered them. Our defence is, by and large, rock solid and the attacking side of our game is now beginning to show what we know we are capable of. Kaz is probably the only one of our established offensive players who is really firing still, but Ulloa seems to be moving in the right direction at last, Buckley is back, March is like having a decent new signing and it can only be a game or two until CMS is on the bench. Finally Spanish Rodney doesn't look out of place and must only improve with some match sharpness and we might even see Hoskins again this season.

Yes, things are looking good for us right now.

I don't think we are though, at least not intentionally. We haven't had a settled attacking unit all season - KLL in and out, Buckley largely out and not any good when in, Ulloa being out and then off-form, Barnes filling in and then sold, Lita briefly appearing, CMS not here at all and Crofts getting injured at a key time - it's no great surprise that we've been perpetually misfiring coming forward.

It does seem to be coming together now and Garcia shows signs of preferring to try for 2-0 than gambling on holding out for 1-0.

Nailed it. But, as someone else said, Ince deserves a mention; he's been consistently good.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I wasn't there last night but the commentary made a few references to Ulloa's "heavy touch" when receiving the ball, but he scored which is what he is paid to do, his touch can only get better as it was one of his attributes last season. More game time will see this happen. Ince and March can only improve with more game time to I imagine. Lua Lua, according to the Argus still has niggly injury problems so may well continue to be used sparingly as an impact sub. Buckley being back is also a big plus but I have my reservations about how many games he can play with his hamstring problems.

We won again and had plenty of shots. although less on target than Leeds according to the stats.

The thing I like most about Oscar are his positive substitutions and his desire to make attacking subs, unlike Gus who would almost certainly have made defensive subs. It will misfire in some games but overall I think the Oscar way is the way to go.

We are going to tonk a team soon, I hope it's Wigan.

Spot on. Oscar is finally getting the players (back) he needs to go on the attack, and he is doing so. Refreshing.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Garcia shows signs of preferring to try for 2-0 than gambling on holding out for 1-0.

That does seem to be the case. We finished last night with a nominal front 3 of Buckley, Obika and KLL who all seemed to be pushing up on to the Leeds defenders even in the final few minutes. Not sure that Uruguayan chap we had last season would have been quite so bold with a 1-0 lead and only a few minutes left on the clock?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
That does seem to be the case. We finished last night with a nominal front 3 of Buckley, Obika and KLL who all seemed to be pushing up on to the Leeds defenders even in the final few minutes. Not sure that Uruguayan chap we had last season would have been quite so bold with a 1-0 lead and only a few minutes left on the clock?

Agreed - what made it all that much more pleasing was that rather than look like a gamble it proved to be the right thing to do. We just got stronger and stronger after we scored. My mate said to me last night that after scoring we'd be in for a long, long 15 minutes but the time zipped by - as did the added 3 minutes. We fully deserved that win last night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here