Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Immigration soaring

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
I work in education and deal with a lot of foreign students. The amount of unfounded, ignorant nonsense I've read on this thread is hilarious. Nobody has any actual facts just rubbish they've read in The Mail or some guff UKIP pamphlet that came through their door. Embarrassing.

Trust in Tony

Banned
Aug 17, 2014
Worthing
The fact is most of us if we trace our line back with have immigrants as our ancestors. All this little England stuff shown by some on here is shocking. Since the end of the second war most immigrants have done the jobs that British people have seen as below them. Also the fact we spent hundreds of years ruling and abusing countries with our so called Empire is now coming back to bite us on the bum.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Theses figures are always deliberately vague to create histeria. Let's face it people with views like the OP don't care about wealthy south Americans or Europeans coming to our university towns and cities, they're worried about the brown people becuase rather than having an issue with migration par se they have an issue with other races.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
That has hit the nail well and truly on the head. Well said!

I have been called a bigot for my views on immigration, but the truth is I have no problem whatsoever with limited numbers of foreigners in my village/county/country. What I do have a real problem with is when they take over whole neighbourhoods and turn them into corners of some foreign land. This is ENGLAND. If you want to live somewhere that looks and smells like India, Pakistan, Africa, China ... then go and live in that country.

Strangely didn't mention Australia,Canada or South Africa, where a lot of immigrants come from. So remind me they call you a bigot because……….?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Strangely didn't mention Australia,Canada or South Africa, where a lot of immigrants come from. So remind me they call you a bigot because……….?

Because I'm unaware of any areas in England that have come to look/feel/sound/smell like parts of Australia, Canada, or South Africa. If there are any please let me know and I'll go and investigate. There were a lot of Aussies in Earls Court in the 60s/70s, but they hardly made the place look like a foreign land.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Also the fact we spent hundreds of years ruling and abusing countries with our so called Empire is now coming back to bite us on the bum.

With the benefit of hindsight wouldn't you agree that nearly all of the countries of the Empire were in fact much nicer places to live (for everyone) and better ruled then than they are now? After independence most countries went to hell in a handbasket. I give you Zimbabwe, Nigeria, Congo, Angola, etc.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Just a musing really, but I've always found it interesting that people feel they are entitled to a much better standard of living than others purely because they were lucky enough to be born in the right place.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm struggling to find a problem with people coming here to study and pumping their money into our economy. Could someone please enlighten me?

Just a musing really, but I've always found it interesting that people feel they are entitled to a much better standard of living than others purely because they were lucky enough to be born in the right place.

and this! Why does one person have more right to be somewhere than another. This also calls into question the very concept of owning a piece of land.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

Muse away. The USA has a higher standard of living than the UK (in my opinion). I wasn't born there and I don't believe I'm entitled to their standard of living. That's the way it is.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Muse away. The USA has a higher standard of living than the UK (in my opinion). I wasn't born there and I don't believe I'm entitled to their standard of living. That's the way it is.

It has much greater inequality. I'd rather have a slightly lower standard of living than massive inequality.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

Because they are too stupid to realise that he doesn't have quite such a problem with people who share a broadly similar culture, as opposed to a Bangladeshi who wants act as if he's still in rural syhlet or an African who wants to eat smu ggled in diseased bush meat ?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I'm struggling to find a problem with people coming here to study and pumping their money into our economy. Could someone please enlighten me?

and this! Why does one person have more right to be somewhere than another. This also calls into question the very concept of owning a piece of land.
OK if I move into your flat tomorrow , not a problem is it ?

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010

You mean like the Royal Family?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Because I'm unaware of any areas in England that have come to look/feel/sound/smell like parts of Australia, Canada, or South Africa. If there are any please let me know and I'll go and investigate. There were a lot of Aussies in Earls Court in the 60s/70s, but they hardly made the place look like a foreign land.

And wouldn't you know it they are predominantly white. No, no bigotry at all.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Because they are too stupid to realise that he doesn't have quite such a problem with people who share a broadly similar culture, as opposed to a Bangladeshi who wants act as if he's still in rural syhlet or an African who wants to eat smu ggled in diseased bush meat ?

Diseased bush meat! Pahahahaha! Do they chuck spears at you too?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Most of the immigration we are talking about is from Europe.

As has been shown, most of the immigrants from Europe are in employment and paying UK taxes.

No doubt some are concerned about the cultural implications. Personally, I see the positives that immigration brings to our culture rather than the negatives.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here