Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Immigration detention centres

Dec 29, 2011
Hmm, ok... Probably some language thing then because when I got this question:

... I actually thought the question was about "genuine immigrants" which is quite frankly a term I've not come across previously.
The irony of your second-language English being better than GT49er isn't lost on me. It's funny how Brexit gammons are so ill prepared to learn the language of the country they claim to love so dearly.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Any comparison with the rest of Europe is irrelevant. The number is way way too high.. I don't mind immigration, but there is a system through which to apply. If you want to come to this country follow the correct procedure.
Just having had a quick look at the Government website about asylum seeking, it seems you have to be in this country to apply for asylum.
in the past, I believe, President Macron offered to help set up centres in France where people could apply for asylum. We refused.
so what are they supposed to do? Maybe small boats is the only answer.
and any comparison with the rest of Europe is FAR FROM IRRELEVANT. the rest of Europe is more humane and understanding than we are, and that doesn’t mean they are bending over backwards to let everyone in right left and centre.
I have just watched the Channel 4 news where Caroline Nokes, the Conservative MP for our neighbouring constituency of Romsey, and a former immigration minister, was utterly condemning of how we are doing things, how much priority we are giving the matter and how much we need to give to it. She was also utterly condemning of the Home Secretary, what she is doing - or not doing - and the inflammatory language she is using.
Sir Roger Gale, the Conservative MP whose constituency includes Manston is also utterly condemning of Ms Braverman and the regime she is understanding.
And I would doubt very much whether messrs Gale or Nokes read the Guardian or eat Tofu, but maybe they number among the wokerati!

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
Not all asylum seekers are fleeing war. Many are fleeing modern slavery, sexual slavery, forced marriage, persecution due to sexuality, poverty etc
All those thousands of young men fleeing forced marriage and sexual slavery ! Just the thought of it makes you want to weep - doesn't it?

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Does that not suggest that the majority claiming asylum are 'genuine'.

According to the Home Office or Appeals Tribunal.

Rather odd that that people are more likely to be granted refugee status in the UK.

Perhaps we are too leniant.

Is the world generally more dangerous than it was 20 years ago?

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Just having had a quick look at the Government website about asylum seeking, it seems you have to be in this country to apply for asylum.
in the past, I believe, President Macron offered to help set up centres in France where people could apply for asylum. We refused.
and any comparison with the rest of Europe is FAR FROM IRRELEVANT. the rest of Europe is more humane and understanding than we are, and that doesn’t mean they are bending over backwards to let everyone in right left and centre.
I have just watched the Channel 4 news where Caroline Nokes, the Conservative MP for our neighbouring constituency of Romsey, and a former immigration minister, was utterly condemning of how we are doing things, how much priority we are giving the matter and how much we need to give to it. She was also utterly condemning of the Home Secretary, what she is doing - or not doing - and the inflammatory language she is using.
Sir Roger Gale, the Conservative MP whose constituency includes Manston is also utterly condemning of Ms Braverman and the regime she is understanding.
And I would doubt very much whether messrs Gale or Nokes read the Guardian or eat Tofu, but maybe they number among the wokerati!

This is just nonsense.

What do European countries do that we don’t when you say they are more humane and caring than we are?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
This is just nonsense.

What do European countries do that we don’t when you say they are more humane and caring than we are?
Well maybe, if you think this is rubbish, you could put up your understanding of the current British asylum laws since Johnson's Brexit cabal got in, with some links to actual facts backing up your understanding ?

That would certainly show all these woke, tofu munching etc ... :shrug:

After all, I'm sure you aren't trying to look stupid. I'm off for now, but look forward to your sources in the morning and I promise to go through them (y)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
According to the Home Office or Appeals Tribunal.

Rather odd that that people are more likely to be granted refugee status in the UK.

Perhaps we are too leniant.

Is the world generally more dangerous than it was 20 years ago?
Yes. Look around the world at conflicts, wars, famine, homophobia etc. I’m sure you keep up to date with current affairs.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
All those thousands of young men fleeing forced marriage and sexual slavery ! Just the thought of it makes you want to weep - doesn't it?

Oh. What a shock. I was right.

“The majority of Albanian asylum seekersgranted leave to remain in the UK in the past year were trafficked women, according to data obtained by The Independent.

Analysis from the Oxford Migration Observatory reveals that 86 per cent of Albanians who received positive decisions on asylum applications in the year ending June 2022 were women, whose leave to remain was granted on the basis that they were likely to have been trafficked and in genuine need of protection”.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Yes. Look around the world at conflicts, wars, famine, homophobia etc. I’m sure you keep up to date with current affairs.

20 years ago there were equal if not worse conflicts. LTTE were right at it in Sri Lanka. Zanu PF were causing havoc in Zimbabwe. Sierra Leone and Liberia were having brutal civil wars. Somalia was a seriously bad place if you were in not in a majority clan. Ethiopia and Eritreans were fighting. South Sudan did not exist and the Christian South and Muslim North were fighting. Things were still bad in the former Yugoslavia. Poland, Bulgaria and Romania were not in EU and Roma people were not having easiest of times. DRC was in civil war, the list goes on.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012

Oh. What a shock. I was right.

“The majority of Albanian asylum seekersgranted leave to remain in the UK in the past year were trafficked women, according to data obtained by The Independent.

Analysis from the Oxford Migration Observatory reveals that 86 per cent of Albanians who received positive decisions on asylum applications in the year ending June 2022 were women, whose leave to remain was granted on the basis that they were likely to have been trafficked and in genuine need of protection”.

What other grounds would Albanians need international protection for, other than trafficking claims?

Dec 29, 2011
20 years ago there were equal if not worse conflicts. LTTE were right at it in Sri Lanka. Zanu PF were causing havoc in Zimbabwe. Sierra Leone and Liberia were having brutal civil wars. Somalia was a seriously bad place if you were in not in a majority clan. Ethiopia and Eritreans were fighting. South Sudan did not exist and the Christian South and Muslim North were fighting. Things were still bad in the former Yugoslavia. Poland, Bulgaria and Romania were not in EU and Roma people were not having easiest of times. DRC was in civil war, the list goes on.
I believe the number of displaced humans was higher two decades ago, but there were more countries near them able to accommodate them. Since the disruption in Afghan, Iraq, Syria, much of Africa due to climate change and wars, Europe is really one of the only stable destinations right now. It's depressing.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Maybe not the whole of Europe is 'humane and understanding'...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It’s interesting how there was a terrorist attack on a detention centre in Dover and yet so many are still prepared to stick the boot in to the intended victims.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
We need to be able to offer a home to genuine asylum seekers. We need immigration to fill much needed roles in eg health and social care etc. But it needs to be controlled and currently it isn’t. We shouldn’t allow unlimited immigration as it creates significant unplanned demands on housing, social services, education etc and we need to weed-out potential criminals and terrorists. But they shouldn’t be put in squalid accommodation while being processed - it’s wrong.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
I believe the number of displaced humans was higher two decades ago, but there were more countries near them able to accommodate them. Since the disruption in Afghan, Iraq, Syria, much of Africa due to climate change and wars, Europe is really one of the only stable destinations right now. It's depressing.

2022 and people are still persecuted because they believe in a different god, or because they are attracted to people of the same sex, or because they support a different political party.

Pathetic.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I do wonder why so many people want to come here. The U.K. is a hostile shit hole with a racist government that treats it’s workers like serfs and pays them poverty wages.

They sling them into decrepit detention centres and threaten to illegally transport them to Rwanda before stirring up hatred for them and blaming them for all of our self inflicted f*** ups.

It really must be life or death for them because nobody would come here if they had a choice. Being poor in the U.K. under a Tory government is not only incredibly hard, it’s practically a crime.
Since leaving the EU, they can have a crack at asylum elsewhere in Europe, and if it fails, come and have a crack here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here