Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Immigration detention centres

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I just thank my lucky stars. It’s despairing. No easy answers. Of course majority now coming are economic migrants, the profiteers are criminals and the modern equivalent of slave traders shipping their ‘cargo’ for they care not about these people, only money. These poor (literally) people have and are continuing to leave home countries because the UK is their dream, their hope. That’s a basic and powerful human instinct, without which life isn’t much worth living. Things are going to get a lot worse, and soon, because of climate change as well as war. The only practical situation I can think of is to welcome these people and try to integrate, educate and make them feel part of Britain as a nation. What’s the alternative? Let them drown? Give them an Arsenal shirt and persuade them to Visit Rwanda?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Why are they coming to Britain? Why not apply to stay in France, or Italy, or Germany, or Holland, or Belgium? The majority are economic migrants. If they want to come to the UK they should apply through the proper channels.
On paper, in theory, you’re correct. Problem is it bears no resemblance to reality and probably belongs to the past such is the now overwhelming scale of the issue dealing with millions rather than thousands.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Not sure is someone already posted this, but please be aware it is truly shocking and disturbing as per the warning. I don’t say this lightly so please be aware.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
In the first six months of 2022, more than half were from three countries:
  • 18% came from Albania
  • 18% from Afghanistan
  • 15% from Iran
The number of Albanians making the crossing has risen sharply since 2021.

We (the West) have a direct responsibility for Afghans, Iraqis and Syrians - and I fully understand Iranians fleeing Iran, but why so many Albanians?
In the early 90s, the Albanian communist rule collapsed and the economy initially changed very rapidly for the worse causing a lot of poverty. When that happened, tens of thousands of Albanians ventured into eh... alternative economic solutions; namely cannabis cultivation (Albania is one of the biggest cannabis producers in the world) and heroin trafficking (since they have a large coast line they can easily recieve shippings from Pakistan and Afghanistan, and since they have a lot of neighbours where corruption is high, moving it around across Europe is easy).

Drug trafficking turned out not only to save the day but to be very profitable and by the late 90s there were Albanian hubs and criminal gangs in every important (drug-wise) city in Europe. Albanian clans are among the most influential and important ones in the global drug trade, thanks to a combination of experience, geographic conditions and the authorities of Albania neither being willing or able to deal with it (because a) you might die if you interfer and b) the country collapse without it).

I experienced the Albanian influence myself when selling cannabis 11 years ago. As long as I was selling to friends etc. no one bothered, once more people heard of me and randoms were appearing all day all night... it turned out I was in trouble and one night a group of Albanians broke into the student corridor I was living in (and selling from), taking my shit and my money and quite firmly (with a knife against my throat) asking me to stop selling. I was not the first or the last to experience this... They had no fear. One bloke even added me on Facebook in case I had "questions or information".

Obviously a lot of the income from the Albanian dominance on the European drug scene does not end up in the average Albanian blokes wallet (though some of it do, which is why few Albanians are going to have any complaints about this business). Many people live on the verge of poverty and the stability of the country relies on import from Russia as their shit is usually cheaper than things produced elsewhere.

Some Albanians arrive as refugees because they are unable to live in Albania, especially now when trading with Russia isn't too easy. Some Albians arrive as refugees because they want to expand the drug trade. For the last 20 years or so, Albanians not only dominate heroin and cannabis trafficking, but also the cocaine market - which is an entirely different one (the average heroin user and the average cocaine user comes from very different demographics), with a lot of growth potential. The UK seems to have a thing for coke; whether this means that Albanians want to take over that market, or if they already rule it and need more manpower for it - I don't know.

There's a lot of good reasons for people to flee from Albania to other countries... and there's a lot of bad ones as well.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I can understand you wanting to come to the UK if you are Afghan, Iranian, Iraqi, Syrian etc as those countries, with the exception of Iran, have all been ravaged by wars in which, rightly or wrongly, we had a major involvement. You only need to look at the news to understand why Iranians might want to leave and come here. The largest group of migrants this year however are young Albanian men almost all of whom are coming here to work in Albanian criminal enterprises. The Albanians control vast parts of the production and supply of illegal drugs in many UK cities, Brighton & Hove being one!, they set up hundreds of loss making businesses to launder money through and rarely let outsiders into their networks hence why they import labour from home. I fully support genuine refugees seeking shelter and safety in the UK but there does need to be a solution to thousands of foreign criminals entering the UK illegally.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Sir Roger Gale, Conservative MP

The voice of reason and a dying breed in the Tory party, sadly all Braverman is interested in doing is stoking culture wars in the hope of making political capital.

Sunak had the perfect excuse not to give here a job, such poor judgement to reinstate her

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The voice of reason and a dying breed in the Tory party, sadly all Braverman is interested in doing is stoking culture wars in the hope of making political capital.

Sunak had the perfect excuse not to give here a job, such poor judgement to reinstate her
It saddens me that Sunak is f***ed as a prime minister already. I mean, I want the tories out, but I am not enjoying our country turning into an international comedy gift that keeps on giving. The depths of stupidity seem to have no limit. Sunak already seems weak and, well, pathetic really.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The Tories don't want to solve the problem, its easy political points.

Claim they want to stop it, but then blame labour/media/left/French when whatever they come up with fails.

If they really wanted the flights to leave with passengers on it, it would have - when it didn't it was a success for them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The Tories don't want to solve the problem, its easy political points.

Claim they want to stop it, but then blame labour/media/left/French when whatever they come up with fails.

If they really wanted the flights to leave with passengers on it, it would have - when it didn't it was a success for them.
its popular to look and act hard on immigration, obvious the current policies arent working. i reckon Sunak knows it has to change, giving Braverman enough rope then replace with new Home Secretary and new approach. there were hints in the summer campaign, things like changing definitions (like recognise and handle difference between an Albanian and a Syrian), getting through claims quicker (easiest way is to allow them in!) and clear way to return failed claimants.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
and that's what the asylum process is there to arbitrate on. doesn't make it acceptable to keep them in slum conditions while that process is ongoing
In Dorset there was in the 80s an old ww2 nissan hut village in a field used for troops while waiting orders , they were there for a few days/weeks at a time .These "huts" had corrigated roofs , single course brickwork and NO heating , in the 80s they were used for homeless ,young couples who couldn`t afford private rented properties , or people waiting for a council property .

My wife myself and new born (one week ) old daughter were given one of these cold tin roofed mould ridden temporary huts for 2 f***ing years to the week . We didn`t beat up the people who helped us , we didn`t set fire to it , we waited with our now 2 daughters until a place became available . This place is 6 miles from the nearest town , with 2 buses each day , no phones , no shops , and no added facilities .

You misguidedly say these ILLEGAL Immigrants have to live in poverty and bad conditions , are the only conditions we have worse than the conditions they CLAIM to be escaping , and if so why bloody leave ? .

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Whatever the answer is, its not using terminology like "invasion", "patriots" etc - that belongs with Britain First, the NF and the other fascist groups that we thought were in the dustbin of history but now seem to inhabit the corridors of this wretched government.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
On a purely personal basis I am disgusted, as a proud British citizen that we have let this situation develop. The only thing that disgusts me more is that I believe this situation has been engineered by a group of people who thought this situation would be to their benefit.

If you close down every legal way to claim asylum, this is what you get, but the terminally naïve will be on board immediately.
i don't think anyone could have foreseen the numbers involved , interesting that whilst refugees from muslim /arab countries are being corralled in such facilities Indian and Chinese immigration to the UK is at an all time high.......i read it on here so it must be true.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
i don't think anyone could have foreseen the numbers involved , interesting that whilst refugees from muslim /arab countries are being corralled in such facilities Indian and Chinese immigration to the UK is at an all time high.......i read it on here so it must be true.

Pretty sure it was pointed out that by leaving the EU the French would give less of a shit about people leaving for the UK.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
unaccompanied children being taken to detention centres and allegedly pressed by officials to lie about their age, being told they will be released if they say they're over 18

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I will struggle to catch up on this thread but I assume it’s a bit more civilised now the Bear Pit Fairy Godfathers have mostly been binned off?

Anyway. Cruel detention centres. That is what you get with a Tory government. Especially a Tory government that has had at least two elitist racists as Home Secretary in Braverman and Patel in the last two years.

Immigrants are a convenient and oft exploited scape-goat to throw the Gammony Thickets off the scent of Tory failures, corruption and tax evasion.

Plough them all into a pit.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I will struggle to catch up on this thread but I assume it’s a bit more civilised now the Bear Pit Fairy Godfathers have mostly been binned off?

Anyway. Cruel detention centres. That is what you get with a Tory government. Especially a Tory government that has had at least two elitist racists as Home Secretary in Braverman and Patel in the last two years.

Immigrants are a convenient and oft exploited scape-goat to throw the Gammony Thickets off the scent of Tory failures, corruption and tax evasion.

Plough them all into a pit.

Was mildly amusing listening to James Max this morning who was winding the gammons up, “what would you do”

Arrest them and charge them - can’t do that
Stop all immigration - nope, we need it
Send them back to France - nope, can’t do that
Take all the benefits away - can’t do that

Etc etc

I think my favourite idea was close off all ports of exit/entry to everyone

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
All comes back down to Br*xit tho. Albania is about an hour from Corfu by slow pedalo. These migrants are clearly economic migrants. Probably attracted by reports of crops left to rot in UK fields due to UK homegrown chavs considering it beneath them to get out of bed for

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here