Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Immigration detention centres

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
One rather fears you are shouting into the wind.
I will keep shouting into the wind. I cannot bear nationalism, being told I’m anti British for criticising the government’s racist policies.
This old gal is going down fighting.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Have you got figures for those who are caught as opposed to those who ask for asylum?
no idea, not about numbers but process. cant claim asylum if you dont make a claim.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
In the first six months of 2022, more than half were from three countries:
  • 18% came from Albania
  • 18% from Afghanistan
  • 15% from Iran
The number of Albanians making the crossing has risen sharply since 2021.

We (the West) have a direct responsibility for Afghans, Iraqis and Syrians - and I fully understand Iranians fleeing Iran, but why so many Albanians?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Irrelevant. It was a balls up before Brexit and it's been a balls up since, The government made cuts after cuts after cuts after cuts until there was no control. Put it down to the Government's mantra of cut everything, because that's the problem - and if the remainers haven't noticed, Brexit hasn't changed the party in power.
Project Fear did in fact frighten away many people whose presence here was useful and appreciated, and who fled this country unnecessarily - it has a lot to answer for. Not that its proponants will ever acknowledge that.

So the ever spiralling increase in people coming across the channel since Brexit and the closing down of legal channels to cross forcing people to use smuggling gangs since Brexit are just coincidence ?

Channel migrants: More children crossing to UK since Brexit as official routes ‘can’t compete’ with smugglers

We'd have a lot more of them (and much appreciated and very welcome too) if it hadn't been for Project Fear telling them they'd all be toast after Brexit.
And I can only assume that what Brexit did to free movement has passed you by completely :dunce:

I really think we need some more sources for definitions, figures and facts from one side of this discussion if we are going to keep it 'balanced' :wink:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just out of interest what would your solution be?
At the very least, I'd have an open and transparent process, collaborate with all vested parties, and provide the resources to administer it. These fundamentals seem to be what is causing most of the issues. Working with others is a must, as clearly the UK Home Office, for whatever reason, is incapable. Taking back control was the mantra...... now the UK Home Office has their wish it's even worse than it was. Immigration of this sort will never be perfect, but it could be a hell of a lot better than it is in the UK. In short, the current situation is shameful, grubby and a stain on the country.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In the first six months of 2022, more than half were from three countries:
  • 18% came from Albania
  • 18% from Afghanistan
  • 15% from Iran
The number of Albanians making the crossing has risen sharply since 2021.

We (the West) have a direct responsibility for Afghans, Iraqis and Syrians - and I fully understand Iranians fleeing Iran, but why so many Albanians?
I do not know the reasons for so many Albanians fleeing to the UK but I can tell you, like most aspects of immigration and contrary to what many beleive, it is not unique to the UK. Albanian asylum in the EU is up 70% this year.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
And another question. If things are so bad in all these countries that people are willing to risk their lives to come to the UK, how come so many of them have babies and young children? Surely if your country is such an awful state the last thing you'd want to do is bring a helpless baby into the world? Difficult to feel much sympathy for people who make such stupid decisions.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I do not know the reasons for so many Albanians fleeing to the UK but I can tell you, like most aspects of immigration and contrary to what many beleive, it is not unique to the UK. Albanian asylum in the EU is up 70% this year.
Albanians won’t get granted asylum and are already being returned.

The rhetoric is being ramped up by politicians using inflammatory language like invasion and illegal when neither are true.
Do people realise the King is a son of a refugee?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
And another question. If things are so bad in all these countries that people are willing to risk their lives to come to the UK, how come so many of them have babies and young children? Surely if your country is such an awful state the last thing you'd want to do is bring a helpless baby into the world? Difficult to feel much sympathy for people who make such stupid decisions.
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

you are determined to misunderstand this, aren't you

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You cannot legislate against stupidity though, which I am sure you, especially, will agree is a good thing? :wink:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well, it appears you know all about stupid.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
At the very least, I'd have an open and transparent process, collaborate with all vested parties, and provide the resources to administer it. These fundamentals seem to be what is causing most of the issues. Working with others is a must, as clearly the UK Home Office, for whatever reason, is incapable. Taking back control was the mantra...... now the UK Home Office has their wish it's even worse than it was. Immigration of this sort will never be perfect, but it could be a hell of a lot better than it is in the UK. In short, the current situation is shameful, grubby and a stain on the country.
Preciseley. The Brexit-tory process is to have nothing to do with the French/EU. 'manage' everything ourselves, and do the latter by jolly well not spending any money on the problem, which makes it possible to cut taxes. Anyone who thinks the data below have nothing to do with tory policy is frankly insane.

channel crossings.PNG

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Preciseley. The Brexit-tory process is to have nothing to do with the French/EU. 'manage' everything ourselves, and do the latter by jolly well not spending any money on the problem, which makes it possible to cut taxes. Anyone who thinks the data below have nothing to do with tory policy is frankly insane.

View attachment 153292
Is that the graph for 'Taking Back Control'?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is that the graph for 'Taking Back Control'?
To hear that oaf, Braverman, yesterday, you'd think the tories have just arrived on horseback, at the eleventh hour, to fend off the swamping of these great lands, caused by 12 years of a Corbyn government.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Phew!

I was getting vexed. Page 4 and nobody had blamed Corbyn yet. Thank you for restoring my faith.

Altogether now:-

"IT'S ALL CORBYN'S FAULT"

:lolol::lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:
Extraordinary isn't it? Twelve years of Tory mis-management, a disastrous Brexit, more Prime Ministers since July than Gillingham have won League Two football matches in the same period, a reappointed Home Sec who seems to spring a leak every time she touches electronic equipment and the bogeyman is still a geriatric ex-Labour leader. LOL.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here