Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Immigration detention centres

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
They may be. They may not be. Same as in England, Germany, Sweden. The Netherlands, anywhere else you care to name.
But they'll have gone through five or six countries to get to France, yes? Why is the sixth or seventh the problem?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yes i have a definition , a genuine immigrant gets out of the country that he/she is being persecuted and crosses a free border .

A non-genuine immigrant crosses multiple countries , avoiding borders and heads to France , then instead of settling in France or the 8 or 9 other countries they have traversed , all of which are governed by EU law to help them , decide good old Blighty is the "Cash Cow " .
Sounds like both the genuine immigrant and the non-genuine immigrant is doing a fair bit of migrating, making them... immigrants, in one place or another.

Either way I'm not quite sure there's statistics splitting the "genuine immigrants" and "non-genuine immigrants" but to give you some kind of answer, 20% of the Swedish population were born in foreign countries with maybe half of them fleeing from various wars.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
suit yourself. we're the same as others countries, placing migrants in some controlled accomodation while a process happens. pitching in emotive words just contributes to the low tone.
I appreciate where you are coming from, but the reality of our broken asylum system means that the processing centres effectively function as detention centres. some of these people will be waiting months and months to have their claims processed, living in horrific conditions with no means of leaving. I can see why the term 'detention centre' would seem emotive but it's just the reality of the system that currently exists

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So property confiscation?

What happens when that runs out?
Sunak's places should do the next seven days or so. After that I assume that arch Brexiteer Leaky Sue will have controlled our borders and stopped all the dinghies. She seems so in control.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sounds like both the genuine immigrant and the non-genuine immigrant is doing a fair bit of migrating, making them... immigrants, in one place or another.

Either way I'm not quite sure there's statistics splitting the "genuine immigrants" and "non-genuine immigrants" but to give you some kind of answer, 20% of the Swedish population were born in foreign countries with maybe half of them fleeing from various wars.
I'm assuming you're not thick (although with some very weird opinions at times) so maybe the language is a problem? The question is not about 'genuine immigrants' and 'non-genuine immigrants'. It is about genuine assylum seekers and non-genuine assylun seekers'.
Very, very significant differences.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

….I wonder how many properties is considered too much….2…3…4….then we could of course go to those occupying houses with spare bedrooms…compulsory letting?
Oh and to balance up Sunak …apparently Sir Keir has seven acres of land in Surrey…that could be sold and houses built to house the homeless :whistle:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We'd have a lot more of them (and much appreciated and very welcome too) if it hadn't been for Project Fear telling them they'd all be toast after Brexit.
what the hell are you on about? Have you been drinking?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm assuming you're not thick (although with some very weird opinions at times) so maybe the language is a problem? The question is not about 'genuine immigrants' and 'non-genuine immigrants'. It is about genuine assylum seekers and non-genuine assylun seekers'.
I assume you're not thick and spelling of assylum and assylun is a language problem as you practise your Swedish.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Blimey that was a big edit…what happened to the “you do talk a load of shit” :whistle:
Ha ha. It was, I had a change of heart. I’ll save it for later!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Ok well, makes more sense obviously but I've still never really encountered the question of "genuine" and "non-genuine" asylum seekers here. Sure I've heard the arguments "they're just coming because they want to... live here. They dont really need it, bla bla" but the explicit concept of genuine vs non-genuine asylum seekers is not much of a talking point here. I don't really know what to look for if I was to find statistics separating these "groups".

Sometimes there's differences in common terminology like that, which sometimes makes things a little confusing. Like when I started to hang out on English speaking forums I was at first shocked by the casual use of the words "race" and "races". If you talk about "races" in Sweden rather than saying that there's only one human race - humans - you're instantly going to be labelled as pretty much the reincarnation of Adolf Hitler, while the words obviously don't have the same tension or "automatic negative value" in the US or UK.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes i have a definition , a genuine immigrant gets out of the country that he/she is being persecuted and crosses a free border .

A non-genuine immigrant crosses multiple countries , avoiding borders and heads to France , then instead of settling in France or the 8 or 9 other countries they have traversed , all of which are governed by EU law to help them , decide good old Blighty is the "Cash Cow " .
France already takes in twice as many as Britain. We are way down the list taking just 0.026% of the worlds refugees.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
….I wonder how many properties is considered too much….2…3…4….then we could of course go to those occupying houses with spare bedrooms…compulsory letting?
Oh and to balance up Sunak …apparently Sir Keir has seven acres of land in Surrey…that could be sold and houses built to house the homeless :whistle:

We’d have had that under Corbyn. As people were forced to take in child evacuees during the war, persons now would be forced to take in migrants.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
France already takes in twice as many as Britain. We are way down the list taking just 0.026% of the worlds refugees.

We grant refugee status at a far higher proportion than other European countries.

Attachments

• D98E979D-F3A0-4BAF-B7D4-CA3EA35AA989.jpeg
    D98E979D-F3A0-4BAF-B7D4-CA3EA35AA989.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 10D3F4E7-8F6B-4971-A47E-EAEDC7C7670F.jpeg
    10D3F4E7-8F6B-4971-A47E-EAEDC7C7670F.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 25

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Is that under this definition of a refugee

“a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster”

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Why are they coming to Britain? Why not apply to stay in France, or Italy, or Germany, or Holland, or Belgium? The majority are economic migrants. If they want to come to the UK they should apply through the proper channels.
The majority are definitely NOT economic migrants. Over 75% of asylum applications are approved. There is absolutely no way that a UK Home Office (led by Braverman/Patel) would be approving any but the most genuine of cases. And the majority of asylum-seekers who come to the UK have some sort of family connection. Others come here because they know English. And - by the way - the vast, vast majority of migrants DO stay in other countries. In the grand scheme of things the numbers coming to the UK aren't huge. There are FOUR MILLION refugees in Turkey!!
It's about time we started treating these people as human beings. And that includes dealing with their asylum applications in a timely manner. If we did, we'd find most of them would then be able to work, earn money, and no doubt start to alleviate the massive labour shortages in areas like hospitality and health & social care.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here