Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Immigration detention centres

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No it didn't mean that - but that's what Project Fear told them it meant.

Enough posts against the NSC party line to put this thread into the Bear Pit yet?
You don’t have to post on it if you don’t like the replies.
This problem is not going to go away, and the truth needs to be said.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You don’t have to post on it if you don’t like the replies.
This problem is not going to go away, and the truth needs to be said.
I don't and I didn't. I agree the problem isn't going to go away, and it is a problem. That's the truth, is it not? (even if unacceptable to some).

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Where do we house them?

Hotel accommodation is unsustainable and there is not enough social housing.

Unless we go down the route of confiscating private property (people’s houses) we will need more immigration reception centres.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Good whataboutery! :thumbsup:
You don't know what whataboutery means, I think. But you always use the word when it comes to UK atrocities abroad.

This is the reality - no whataboutery, but strictly related to the topic. Let me break it down for you:

If you sell billions worth of arms to countries like Russia, Saudi Arabia and Qatar, they will use those weapons to arm terrorists like ISIS etc, which is something that results in civil war, which results in homeless and uninhabitable regions.

When you can't live in your country because it has been bombed into pieces, you might have to flee from it.

Some of those refugees then come to UK, because UK weapons destroyed their country.

Is it really completely out of the question that some or all of the profits the UK made from selling weapons to countries like Russia, Qatar and Saudi Arabia are then used to provide housing and food for those people affected by the decision to sell weapons to oppressive or terrorist-funding states?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Where do we house them?

Unless we go down the route of confiscating private property (people’s houses) we will need more immigration reception centres.
Give them the places that all the Eastern European people who used to work in hospitality lived in and set them up with jobs in Weatherspoons, Burger King and The Marriot?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Where do we house them?

There are lots of empty houses not being used. Perhaps Sunak could give up 10 of his.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sorry, that's a load of old bollocks.

"Take back control of our borders" was a Vote Leave mantra. Did they really just mean "rob all the pubs and hotels of their Polish and Latvian staff who are actually prepared to do the job"?

Remember Farage's poster in front of the immigration queue? Turkey joining next?
@GT49er won't be impressed with your facts.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
I'm really not finding any defintion of "genuine immigrant" and what separates it from a "non-genuine immigrant". Do you have a link or something?
Yes i have a definition , a genuine immigrant gets out of the country that he/she is being persecuted and crosses a free border .

A non-genuine immigrant crosses multiple countries , avoiding borders and heads to France , then instead of settling in France or the 8 or 9 other countries they have traversed , all of which are governed by EU law to help them , decide good old Blighty is the "Cash Cow " .

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Why? This grubby and despicable situation should be highlighted and not swept under the carpet.
Because some people seem to love treating other people this way, Braverman is the tip of quite a large iceberg I reckon.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Yes i have a definition , a genuine immigrant gets out of the country that he/she is being persecuted and crosses a free border .

A non-genuine immigrant crosses multiple countries , avoiding borders and heads to France , then instead of settling in France or the 8 or 9 other countries they have traversed , all of which are governed by EU law to help them , decide good old Blighty is the "Cash Cow " .
If they settle in France are they genuine?

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...

and that's what the asylum process is there to arbitrate on. doesn't make it acceptable to keep them in slum conditions while that process is ongoing

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What did it mean?
Stop asking questions to which you know the answers damn fine. We'd have a lot more welcome immigrants still doing a good job in this country if it were not for Project Fear telling them that all immigrants would be unwelcome if the leave vote prevailed.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Stop asking questions to which you know the answers damn fine. We'd have a lot more welcome immigrants still doing a good job in this country if it were not for Project Fear telling them that all immigrants would be unwelcome if the leave vote prevailed.
Don't you know the answer? It was a pretty simple question. What did "take back control of our borders" mean?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
sorry got to disagree on that last point. they're held there indefinitely while their application is crushed under the wheels of bureaucracy. they aren't allowed to integrate into the local community, and they're kept behind fences. they're detainees and they're in a detention centre
suit yourself. we're the same as others countries, placing migrants in some controlled accomodation while a process happens. pitching in emotive words just contributes to the low tone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here