Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

immigrants

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
As for EU fruit growers ..... really ?? The EU imposed sanctions on Russia ( rightly so IMHO ) and therefore Russia retaliated. You really don't watch the news or read current affairs do you ?

If we're taking about fruit growers shouldn't it be currant affairs?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Probably a bit away from the original subject , but what about Ukraine's aggression towards their own people ? The EU haven't imposed any sanctions on Ukraine ?

Ukraine has to sort out it's own problems without interference from the Big Bear.

Jan 30, 2008
How to make yourself look a bit of a prat DR :facepalm:

I'm all for leaving the EU and controlled immigration and have been for over 25 years. I just don't believe in jumping to conclusions about individuals based on their skin colour, their accent or their car registration.
no one's jumping to conclusions , as I said it's happening all over the country not everyones doing it but you'd be a bit dim not to realise it goes on
regards
DR

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Ukraine has to sort out it's own problems without interference from the Big Bear.

Totally agree , but it has made a big mess of it so far , when the coup happened or takeover whichever side of the fence you sit on then the Prime Minister should of spoken to it's own people , whether Pro Russian or Pro European but what does he do , he flies to most European countries to drum up support , he goes to Brussels , he goes to the White House and forgets his own people and in the meantime some people in Ukraine get very resentful .

I have taken a very big interest in the situation from the start as I have been there ten times now , the President I quite like , he is trying his best to make peace and look after Ukraine's interests at the same time , the Prime Minister of Ukraine to me seems very extremist and has never helped the situation one bit and still bombs his own people .

It shouldn't have interference from the US either , the EU I can understand a bit more .

Sorry just got that off my chest . As you were !!!!!!!

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'm all for leaving the EU and controlled immigration and have been for over 25 years. I just don't believe in jumping to conclusions about individuals based on their skin colour, their accent or their car registration.

Despite seemingly having opposing political views to you, I do like that you express them with level headed fairness and a lack of judgement.

This isn't sarcastic by the way, it's nice refreshing to see a different approach rather than the usual 'left wing loon'/'fascist' name calling garbage that tends to take over these threads.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was speaking to a 'friend' of one of my sons who told me that he buys cars from auctions and sells them with MOT for £700 no other price. He will make £100 on some £200 on others. He said the vast majority were bought by Eastern Europeans and then used for mini cab, parcel courier or fast food delivery. He said that I would be surprised how many offered a government cheque to pay for the car. On my original point on this thread a lady who I know works for the housing association called and asked to be let in the main front door to the flat and went to the one that the occupants of the van went into. So for all this they cannot go on a housing list for 6 months etc.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I was speaking to a 'friend' of one of my sons who told me that he buys cars from auctions and sells them with MOT for £700 no other price. He will make £100 on some £200 on others. He said the vast majority were bought by Eastern Europeans and then used for mini cab, parcel courier or fast food delivery. He said that I would be surprised how many offered a government cheque to pay for the car. On my original point on this thread a lady who I know works for the housing association called and asked to be let in the main front door to the flat and went to the one that the occupants of the van went into. So for all this they cannot go on a housing list for 6 months etc.

Are you saying that the Govt. should or shouldn't be providing enterprise loans here ? I'm confused. I'd have thought encouraging the self-employed entrepreneur is exactly what we need in this country to get the economy going. It's more sustainable than giving people £ 2K to 'scrap' a perfectly servicable vehicle. Surely it's win-win for people who want 'a man with a van'. After all, your sons' friend doesn't have a business if there aren't any customers......

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is debatable as to whether these funds should be available for people coming into the country irrespective of being in the EU. I think the government should also only give winter heating allowance to people resident in the UK and it should be means tested not just given ad lib to anybody who reaches a certain age. It is often said that means testing would be too expensive but all people receiving state pension are already means tested for that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It is debatable as to whether these funds should be available for people coming into the country irrespective of being in the EU. I think the government should also only give winter heating allowance to people resident in the UK and it should be means tested not just given ad lib to anybody who reaches a certain age. It is often said that means testing would be too expensive but all people receiving state pension are already means tested for that.

The state pension is not means tested, pension credit is.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The state pension is not means tested, pension credit is.
Your splitting hairs now as people who only receive state pension are automatically put on pension credit. If they do not qualify for that they shouldnt qualify for heating allowance so a form of means testing.

Many years ago my grandmother worked for Mrs Sandell of Sandell Perkions who was very wealthy and didnt need her pension but each week she went to the post office and then gave it to the next pensioner in the queue saying it would do them more good than not drawing it and it staying in the government finances. If she was alive now she would strill get her heating allowance as do millionaires like Paul McCartney why? Is that not wrong and a waste of the countrys money?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Your splitting hairs now as people who only receive state pension are automatically put on pension credit. If they do not qualify for that they shouldnt qualify for heating allowance so a form of means testing.

Many years ago my grandmother worked for Mrs Sandell of Sandell Perkions who was very wealthy and didnt need her pension but each week she went to the post office and then gave it to the next pensioner in the queue saying it would do them more good than not drawing it and it staying in the government finances. If she was alive now she would strill get her heating allowance as do millionaires like Paul McCartney why? Is that not wrong and a waste of the countrys money?

You answered that question yourself. It would cost so much more in administration than it would save. There is a vast difference between state pension, and pension credit, not to say housing benefit, council tax benefit & disability benefits, which quite a lot of pensioners qualify for by having carers.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You answered that question yourself. It would cost so much more in administration than it would save. There is a vast difference between state pension, and pension credit, not to say housing benefit, council tax benefit & disability benefits, which quite a lot of pensioners qualify for by having carers.

Surely these are all on the system so no extra work or cost involved.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why is it not just a case of paying people who receive some form of benefit, as the allowance comes from the DWP, and not pay others by deleting their name from the list.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.

What about free TV licences for over 75's, free bus tickets for over 65's, free NHS treatment for smokers, free prescriptions, free access to education, Legal Aid etc etc etc.......... No-one seems to examine whether these are affordable benefits given the appaling state of the deficit.

The kind of savings such 'cut's you are suggesting won't even begin to scratch the surface of the economic problem we face. By far the biggest Govt. expenditures are a) Defence, b) Education, c) Health. Which one of these three can you manage without?

If you persue your logic to it's bitter end we end up with a Monaco style provision where there is no state involvement.

If you want a doctor to attend your house you'd better be able to pay his bill, both for his time and the drugs he administers. Woe betide you need hospital treatment without health insurance as you'll be stuffed.

Same applies if you want the Govt. to wage war, because the first thing they'll do following any declaration is to tax you to oblivion.

Want to give your Grandchildren a good start in life? Better be able to cough up the tuition fees if you do.

Drive a car? Better be prepared for massive tolls as every road will be a 'turnpike'.

'Means Testing' people prior to them getting benefit assumes they will divulge to the state every source of income and every asset they have. Jimmy Carr / Garry Barlow / Harry Redknapp ring a bell ? There are plenty of ways of stashing your assets offshore to make it impossible for the state to know your REAL state of wealth. As soon as you introduce means testing these schemes, used already to avoid tax, will suddenly become much more popular than you can imagine.

Last edited:

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
People have made the most out of your post, but for me there is nothing wrong with judging these days, especially when we are hardly flush with affordable housing in this country.

As for calais, the french have offered these people asylum but nobody is taking it. This lot at calais are just laughing at the French now. It won't be long before the Gendemerie become overpowered and they manage to board a ferry. Once that lot are through you can expect many more thousands to do the same, and once again that will be many more people who will possibly become a burden on our system. When is it going to end, never.
The one thing you may have missed about them getting on a ferry is the ferry doesn't have to dock and let them off! Just push out a few hundred meters and turn around when the French are ready to check the boat.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Again these shouild all be means tested and given to those who need it. 1 means test would cover everything and every benefit or freebie.

No-one NEEDS a TV licence, it's hardly a life-or-death scenario to get rid of the TV and go and find something more interesting to do with your time. Internet message boards for example? Owning a TV has always been a lifestyle choice, not an essential utility.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here