Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Immersive theatre - brilliant or bolleaux?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
My partner and I went to the latest PunchDrunk show, The Burnt City, last night.

+ves: a lot. Brilliant sets across 100k sq ft; lots to explore, real immersion (an actor engaged with me directly for 5 mins), brilliant dancing, brilliant music, left feeling like I’d had an experience.

-ves: I had not a bloody clue about what the plot was - people running around all the time back and forth made it impossible to understand the story. I’m guessing there was one.

I enjoyed it, but it ain’t like a normal theatre trip.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
A few of us did Secret Cinema - Empire Strikes Back. Absolutely brilliant. Like all things, throw yourself into it, get fully dressed up and play cards with Lando, ask Chewey for help, buy a shed load of booze from the Cantina (parking your pint on a life size crashed speeder on Tatooine) and watch the whole film on a jumbo screen, while some scenes are parallel acted out at the same time - Quality..!
1674307012189.png

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Depends how well they're done. Brighton Festival has featured a fair few of these over the years, many from dreamthinkspeak, who have contrived to put on some brilliant productions -- The Cherry Orchard in the old Coop building on London Road -- alongside the utterly dull and predictable, which is the only way to describe 2022's offering.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Depends how well they're done. Brighton Festival has featured a fair few of these over the years, many from dreamthinkspeak, who have contrived to put on some brilliant productions -- The Cherry Orchard in the old Coop building on London Road -- alongside the utterly dull and predictable, which is the only way to describe 2022's offering.
I saw that production at the old Co-op and still occasionally think about it - not least, how bonkers some bits were! :lolol:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Mrs V dragged me along to see The Cherry Orchard at that old Co-Op, I still have absolutely no idea what it was all about. So as a method of conveying a story/plot it was a complete waste of time. In fact I sped up our journey towards the end as I had had enough of polystyrene blowing about.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
My partner and I went to the latest PunchDrunk show, The Burnt City, last night.

+ves: a lot. Brilliant sets across 100k sq ft; lots to explore, real immersion (an actor engaged with me directly for 5 mins), brilliant dancing, brilliant music, left feeling like I’d had an experience.

-ves: I had not a bloody clue about what the plot was - people running around all the time back and forth made it impossible to understand the story. I’m guessing there was one.

I enjoyed it, but it ain’t like a normal theatre trip.
I'm going tomorrow night.

The story is based on Aeschylus’ Agamemnon and Euripides’ Hecuba. I've been studying in advance. (Well, reading a synopsis)

Quite different to Secret Cinema. Done loads of those, although they're going slightly downhill (and getting more expensive) imo.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
For the record, it was... bolleaux imo. Great potential but too vast, too confusing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A few of us did Secret Cinema - Empire Strikes Back. Absolutely brilliant. Like all things, throw yourself into it, get fully dressed up and play cards with Lando, ask Chewey for help, buy a shed load of booze from the Cantina (parking your pint on a life size crashed speeder on Tatooine) and watch the whole film on a jumbo screen, while some scenes are parallel acted out at the same time - Quality..! View attachment 156035

Has NSC reached peak geek?

No offence meant, that's my favourite film

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here