Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm a bad fan.

Think I'll just leave it at that.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
As an exile I've never been there since my last visit to the Goldstone. When I've been in Hove I have carefully avoided going there. That's because I still find it upsetting and don't want to spoil my memories. I doubt that I will ever go there. However for those living near I can understand that you have to go past sooner or later and in the end why not shop there - it has been a long time.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
So I've managed to avoid the Goldstone retail site for over 18 years, despite having three children, a nephew, and a niece who would have loved me to go to Toys R Us.
But my youngest is pleading with me.

I always said I'd only ever consider going there once Albion had a permanent stadium... So I've managed to even drag that out for over 4 years too.

DB has passed away, WA is ancient... so with a heavy heart I've decided the time has come to leave the past in the past. Sorry if this offends anyone...

Use your visit as an educational history lesson.

I took my partner of 10 years to Nandos (Sorry if that offends people) on Saturday. She has always known the Albion used to play at the now retail park but it occurred to me waiting for a table, did she know the direction that the goals used to face? Turns out she didn't as she guessed incorrectly. I think it would be a common mistake to make for those who never attended the Goldstone standing in the car park to believe matches were played East/West rather than North/South.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
If they (the retailers/landlords) built a proper celebratory memorial to the Goldstone then I might consider it. It's stupid and irrational but i still think it's shameful that 90+ years of history is so easily forgotten. Even the new Nandos won't get me in there.

Nados is winking at you though, isnt she

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There's an impressive memorial board in Hove Park directly opposite that shanty retail park. DK unveiled it a couple of years back.

It's so weird though. Still fully expecting to see the Goldstone floodlights whenever I walk over the Droveway and across the park, like the walk I used to do for years on end from Preston Park. Still feel cheated that they're no longer there.

The memorial board was unveiled the dame day as the first game at the Amex in 2011. It was paid for by the Albion Historians, Supporters' club and Nsc.

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
Was driven past it a year or so back, and looked the other way. One day I will drop into Hove Park just to see what its like these days and have a look at the actual gold stone. Will I ever set foot in the retail park? Not as long as I have got a hole in my arse!!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Is it as disorganised and a shambles as the store in North St?

Of course...you don't pay for Harrods type organisation.

Just takes a bit of searching through the rails and you turn up some gems

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Didn't know TK Max did golf stuff! Or do you just mean clothing Dave?

Golf clothing...white shark shirts, ping shirts and golf trousers too. Ralph Loren clothing too, including shirts, polo shirts, undies etc

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
D
So I've managed to avoid the Goldstone retail site for over 18 years, despite having three children, a nephew, and a niece who would have loved me to go to Toys R Us.
But my youngest is pleading with me.

I always said I'd only ever consider going there once Albion had a permanent stadium... So I've managed to even drag that out for over 4 years too.

DB has passed away, WA is ancient... so with a heavy heart I've decided the time has come to leave the past in the past. Sorry if this offends anyone...

Blimey, move on already

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I've parked in the car park a couple of times whilst the missus did some retail therapy.
Strange though, you can still smell the toilets???

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
When I lived locally I avoided it. Once went to Currys to buy something despite having to pass Comets. Argument with the wife when I refused to visit that furniture store once (is it DFS?) and instead I bought a horrid sofa from Furniture Village just to keep her happy. Now I live away I never pass it by but could I steer the wheel into the car park one day, don't think so. I hold grudges for a long time.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
As said before, from the moment the AMEX opened the Goldstone site becomes shops, with a cracking history that's a massive part of most of us.

Anyone still passionately holding onto that injustice prefers grudges to grounds.

When I discovered Archer owned Focus ( I change the o to a u ) From that day on I never went near or purchased a single screw from them.
The retailers that went to the Goldstone were never implicated in the shenanigans that went on and should not be held to account.
I can though understand reasons for not going there, I for one am one of them, I want to rememberer the good and bad times I and my son had there. Yes there were a lot of bad times but many better ones. I suppose that for me and many others it is our Mecca, and I do not want that spoiled by the presence of shopping outlets.
But if any of you wish to shop there, then by all means do so.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Loving the split views! I've just arrived, and what has made me feel better is seeing Malcolm 'the sponge' Stuart in the car next to mine!!!

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
When I discovered Archer owned Focus ( I change the o to a u ) From that day on I never went near or purchased a single screw from them.
The retailers that went to the Goldstone were never implicated in the shenanigans that went on and should not be held to account.
I can though understand reasons for not going there, I for one am one of them, I want to rememberer the good and bad times I and my son had there. Yes there were a lot of bad times but many better ones. I suppose that for me and many others it is our Mecca, and I do not want that spoiled by the presence of shopping outlets.
But if any of you wish to shop there, then by all means do so.

Fully agree with all of this, particularly Focus. Many wonderful memories and can fully appreciate folk not wanting to go shopping there, as well as those who think that once Falmer opened, the criteria had changed. It is now in the past after all these years, but of course that does not mean one should ever forget.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here