Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] I'm in the wrong job

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
Another one for vets here. I had to take my dog on a Sunday, and was told there would be an extra fee of £50 for opening on Sunday. When I got there the place was full of other owners, all presumably having paid the £50 too.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Not literally but interested to know what industries have made you say that. Had to take the cat to the vet yesterday - very listless and off his food which never happens. And a very upset mum so off I went. Don't get me wrong, they are great. Got him home last night after antibiotics and a blood test which led to thyroid medication and a couple of other jabs. Much more himself now.

Decided that as it would likely be around £200, I would make a judgement call on using insurance which is £99 excess and 20% co payment. Needn't have worried as it was £410!

Every 2 injections were £18. That doesn't include the medicine. Cost of him staying there for 8 hours? £40. £120 gets you a half decent hotel room. Blood test was £150. Doesn't take many of them to pay for the machine. Maybe modern costs for staff mean it is fair but seems a tad steep.

So what other industries do you feel use the same mark up because they can? Beer at big events and service stations taken as read.

Agree Vets costs are a joke. My wife pampers our dog and any excuse like not eating for day or sick and against my advice off to vets. I know dog is having a bad day and will be fine in couple of days. Vets will never say this so every time come away with a few pills and £100 plus bill.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Vets bills are ridiculous; seen £80 charged for a prescription of paracetamol. Brings to mind American healthcare costs and makes me very thankful for the NHS.

Yonks ago when I was still at school an acquaintance decided they wanted to retire at 45 and tried to work out the most surefire way to do this. They worked out by being a cosmetic dentist doing only private work they would be able to earn enough to achieve their aim. Last I heard they had graduated from medical (dentistry?) school and were off to be a dentist. If all was on plan he'd have retired a couple of years ago.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Another vote for dentists.

About 7 years ago I hadn't been to a dentist in about 15 years. Never felt the need to. Told my then girlfriend that fact and she flipped out and insisted I went right away. To keep the peace I registered with a local surgery and went for a check up. All fine except the dentist told me I grind my teeth in my sleep and I needed a night guard. Was charged £280 for basically a gumshield which I could have got in any sports shop for a fiver. Wore it about five times and it was bloody uncomfortable and I would always wake up with it on my pillow in the morning.

Fast forward 5 years and I'm still going to the same practice but only once a year. Turn up for an appointment and my previous dentist has left and been replaced. Have the check up and she tells me my teeth are fine......but I grind them and need a mouth guard. I tell her in no uncertain terms I do not and she starts giving me a load of waffle about trying a different brand and how they have improved in the last five years. I still point blank refuse at which point she tells me I need a filling! 5 minutes ago my teeth were fine! I had the filling but haven't been back.

Last year I chipped a tiny bit of tooth off so just wanted the tooth smooth off. Registered with another practice who gave me a 30 minute check up for the bargain price of £30!! This place had all the toys and he was showing me an xray of my teeth on a giant TV and pointing out everything that was wrong with them....you can see here blah blah blah. I couldn't see a ****ing thing because I'm not a ****ing dentist. Long story short that £30 check up ended up costing me £480!

I'm going back to my theory if there is nothing wrong with them then I don't need to see a dentist.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Let’s cut the crap and call it I’m in the wrong job because I’m NOT A DENTIST.

It’s a horribly exploitative profession - people in pain, sometimes severe, will pay well beyond their means to get some relief. They have only one option and it’s going to cost them the earth.

This situation has been exacerbated in recent times by dentists shovelling patients off NHS lists faster than you can say ‘open wide’…

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Vets (and dentists) have to study and train for about 8 years I think? And the equipment and medicines they use take highly qualified and experiences people ages to develop and test. Is it any wonder they’re expensive?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Another vote for dentists.

About 7 years ago I hadn't been to a dentist in about 15 years. Never felt the need to. Told my then girlfriend that fact and she flipped out and insisted I went right away. To keep the peace I registered with a local surgery and went for a check up. All fine except the dentist told me I grind my teeth in my sleep and I needed a night guard. Was charged £280 for basically a gumshield which I could have got in any sports shop for a fiver. Wore it about five times and it was bloody uncomfortable and I would always wake up with it on my pillow in the morning.

Fast forward 5 years and I'm still going to the same practice but only once a year. Turn up for an appointment and my previous dentist has left and been replaced. Have the check up and she tells me my teeth are fine......but I grind them and need a mouth guard. I tell her in no uncertain terms I do not and she starts giving me a load of waffle about trying a different brand and how they have improved in the last five years. I still point blank refuse at which point she tells me I need a filling! 5 minutes ago my teeth were fine! I had the filling but haven't been back.

Last year I chipped a tiny bit of tooth off so just wanted the tooth smooth off. Registered with another practice who gave me a 30 minute check up for the bargain price of £30!! This place had all the toys and he was showing me an xray of my teeth on a giant TV and pointing out everything that was wrong with them....you can see here blah blah blah. I couldn't see a ****ing thing because I'm not a ****ing dentist. Long story short that £30 check up ended up costing me £480!

I'm going back to my theory if there is nothing wrong with them then I don't need to see a dentist.

I feel my doctor has my best interests at heart but my dentist sees me as a walking debit card.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Hedge fund managers. Muck about with other people's money and if you fail then just shrug and start again the next year but, if your investments payoff, rake in a huge percentage of the profits - much nearer to PL footballer money than your friendly dentists and vets see.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No wonder British teeth are so bad if you all have this attitude to dentists.

Attachments

• 354A5E31-7D45-456C-90FC-7A3CDAEBB2DD.jpeg
    354A5E31-7D45-456C-90FC-7A3CDAEBB2DD.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 212

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My lad had an emergency appointment yesterday at the dentist, for a searing pain in his jaw.

Dentist fitted him in an hour after his call, took a look, identifying an infection caused by wisdom tooth pushing through - wrote him a prescription for antibiotics, and didn’t charge anything.

Seemingly not all bandits. :thumbsup:

Could this have something to do with this organization I have heard about called....what is it? National.....National Health Service!

Sadly it will never catch on.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Vets (and dentists) have to study and train for about 8 years I think? And the equipment and medicines they use take highly qualified and experiences people ages to develop and test. Is it any wonder they’re expensive?

Plus, being antiviectionists, they have a terrible time validating their treatments and drugs because none of them have been tested on animals.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Whilst I do think that a lot of tradesmen are very expensive for their level of expertise and amount of training and qualifications they have received , it’s medicine where the big money is often made .

I accept the level of training & intellect at consultant level in medicine is a completely different level to a tradesmen and I don’t mean that in a disparaging way , it’s simply a doctorate in medicine is far harder to obtain than a plumbing qualification or a brick laying one .

I had to see a cardiologist a few months ago , privately as I didn’t want to wait over 6 months on the NHS .

The initial consultation which included an ultra sound was £250 for what took 15 mins plus a heart MRI which took 30 mins and was £500 plus a follow up consultation another 15 mins which was £200.

My cardiologist was booked solidly all day privately 9-3 so that’s approx £ 800-1000 per hour , very good money .

I don’t begrudge it though because what’s more important than your health , especially when it comes to heart issues and you want to see the best person with a lot of experience and knowledge not a junior lackey ,

I do begrudge a plumber coming round and charging £60 call out charge and still can’t fix the problem !

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
It is for kids though :thumbsup:

In these circumstances :

Under 18, or under 19 and in full-time education

Receiving low income benefits, or you're under 20 and a dependant of someone receiving low income benefits

In a previous life I investigated NHS dentists and later was involved in chasing people who had incorrectly claimed free NHS dental treatment.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Pay peanuts get a monkey…wouldn’t want one of those doing my teeth….obviously lack of NHS dentists drives some people into going private.

No one likes paying …This won’t apply to dentists, but how many times have I heard “how much for cash”….course it doesn’t matter that it’s cheating the system ….by not paying a tax that in part goes to fund the NHS.

Fortunately the ‘private’ one i go to isn’t outrageous..still expensive mind ..but I’d never criticise the service they give ..especially when I’m in the chair ..mouth wide open and she’s got a drill in her hand :moo:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Pay peanuts get a monkey…wouldn’t want one of those doing my teeth….obviously lack of NHS dentists drives some people into going private.

No one likes paying …This won’t apply to dentists, but how many times have I heard “how much for cash”….course it doesn’t matter that it’s cheating the system ….by not paying a tax that in part goes to fund the NHS.

Fortunately the ‘private’ one i go to isn’t outrageous..still expensive mind ..but I’d never criticise the service they give ..especially when I’m in the chair ..mouth wide open and she’s got a drill in her hand :moo:

Quite.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In these circumstances :

Under 18, or under 19 and in full-time education

Receiving low income benefits, or you're under 20 and a dependant of someone receiving low income benefits

In a previous life I investigated NHS dentists and later was involved in chasing people who had incorrectly claimed free NHS dental treatment.

:eek: Did you have the power to remove their fillings?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here