Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] I'm in the wrong job

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think it's the Insurance industry which, in hand with the veterinary surgeries drive the costs up. Everyone insures their pets, the veterinary services go up, the insurance premiums go up and the veterinary costs go way beyond what people would normally be prepared to pay privately.

So this is only partly true.

Certainly not everyone insures their pet. There's a big insurance gap for pets. Secondly, in theory the more pets are insured, the cheaper it is, since there is more diverse risk with each insurer.

Insurance premiums are simply risk factor plus distribution costs, plus a little bit of profit but some risk factor is shared by reinsurers and some profit comes from investment.

Having a diverse risk is key to getting those prices down. If I only insure 2 year old cockapoos then the same thing is likely to happen to them over time and the same claims and claim values occur. However, if I have a book of cats and dogs of all breeds then it's statistically likely that some will never claim at all.

Pet insurance is currently attracting a lot of innovation in this country because of the number of people who got pets in lockdown. The OP mentioned co payment of claims on top of excess but I know there will be an insurer releasing products later this year with no co payments at all. Revolut have just announced they'll be doing Pet Insurance and they have managed to change an awful lot of bad banking practice just using financial technology.

At then end of the day, though, you get what you pay for. If you take the cheapest premium at the top of the price comparison site you'll almost certainly have a yearly policy with tiny claim limits and most stuff not covered. Scroll down and pay just a few extra quid a month and you'll get full coverage on a lifetime policy with limits of around £4k per treatment per year - the average bill is around £750 (which I agree is not cheap but would be covered by a good policy less the excess).

The main reason you want it, though, is liability. If Fido eats a baby human or baby dog or wrecks a house you could be sued for millions. Liability insurance will cover this for you. And, because there are so many more pets now, there are a lot more bad pet owners who think they are doing the right thing.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Can someone tell me what value mortgage brokers give? They usually just seem to come back with the same quotes it takes 10 minutes to Google ?!?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

Certainly not everyone insures their pet. There's a big insurance gap for pets. Secondly, in theory the more pets are insured, the cheaper it is, since there is more diverse risk with each insurer.

Insurance premiums are simply risk factor plus distribution costs, plus a little bit of profit but some risk factor is shared by reinsurers and some profit comes from investment.

Having a diverse risk is key to getting those prices down. If I only insure 2 year old cockapoos then the same thing is likely to happen to them over time and the same claims and claim values occur. However, if I have a book of cats and dogs of all breeds then it's statistically likely that some will never claim at all.

Pet insurance is currently attracting a lot of innovation in this country because of the number of people who got pets in lockdown. The OP mentioned co payment of claims on top of excess but I know there will be an insurer releasing products later this year with no co payments at all. Revolut have just announced they'll be doing Pet Insurance and they have managed to change an awful lot of bad banking practice just using financial technology.

At then end of the day, though, you get what you pay for. If you take the cheapest premium at the top of the price comparison site you'll almost certainly have a yearly policy with tiny claim limits and most stuff not covered. Scroll down and pay just a few extra quid a month and you'll get full coverage on a lifetime policy with limits of around £4k per treatment per year - the average bill is around £750 (which I agree is not cheap but would be covered by a good policy less the excess).

The main reason you want it, though, is liability. If Fido eats a baby human or baby dog or wrecks a house you could be sued for millions. Liability insurance will cover this for you. And, because there are so many more pets now, there are a lot more bad pet owners who think they are doing the right thing.

I sent to payment to get the premium down from £50 odd quid each without it as they are 15. I have always done it knowing it was dead money covering a major bill only which I know is bad practice. Normally bills are around £200 so with excess, I normally decide not to claim to keep premiums down. The kind of sucker they like, I guess, but a sucker with eyes open.

Got a phone call yesterday saying she'd had forgotten antibiotics so another £17 for tablets and scratched arms trying to get them down his gullet. TBF, she works long hours and I don't see a gold plated car (that is up the road at the Bishop with the fake sheikh). Just things like an injection fee of £8 per shot make you wonder. Dispensing fee to take tablets from a big jar to a little jar.

I have another candidate. One of our systems is off to the cloud. The underlying database is the same and I need the same data I get directly from SQL. So I sent them my SQL view to add to the database ( it is actually already there if they migrate it) so they can send the data in a csv every night. The cost? £2500 with £2000 a year going forward. To send an email with data I will then need to extract, using my code. So I nominate any business with the word cloud in it. Given I probably spent 10 hours perfecting that view and got a fraction of the £250 an hour this costs, I really am in the wrong job.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
In these circumstances :

Under 18, or under 19 and in full-time education

Receiving low income benefits, or you're under 20 and a dependant of someone receiving low income benefits

In a previous life I investigated NHS dentists and later was involved in chasing people who had incorrectly claimed free NHS dental treatment.

My late wife did that role as well in Brighton a long time ago.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Tell me you've worked in the insurance industry without telling me you've worked in the insurance industry. :lolol:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
In no particular order....

Dentists
Vets
Plumbers
Builders/roofers
Pet insurance
Lawyers
Financial advisors
Car mechanics

All necessary at some point, but the bills are eye-watering even for those I would recommend and continue to use because they are good at what they do (so am I but I don't get paid those amounts per hour).

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
My late wife did that role as well in Brighton a long time ago.

Interesting, who did she actually work for? I only ask the administration of all dentists in England in Wales was based in Eastbourne and for many years was the towns biggest employer.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
[MENTION=273]bhaexpress[/MENTION] would definitely say recruitment consultants if he hadn’t shuffled off his mortal coils a decade ago. RIP

Amazing it took 81 posts to get to this. NSC has clearly moved on somewhat.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Dentists
Vets
Plumbers
Builders/roofers
Pet insurance
Lawyers
Financial advisors
Car mechanics

All necessary at some point, but the bills are eye-watering even for those I would recommend and continue to use because they are good at what they do (so am I but I don't get paid those amounts per hour).

But if you want to hire professional skills, which most of you list provide, it does cost. I appreciate there’s rip-off merchants in most sectors and by all means complain about this, but if you want a sound plumber or a lawyer it will cost you. You pay peanuts etc.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
But if you want to hire professional skills, which most of you list provide, it does cost. I appreciate there’s rip-off merchants in most sectors and by all means complain about this, but if you want a sound plumber or a lawyer it will cost you. You pay peanuts etc.
I understand that, but £50 for a dental hygienist appointment that took at most ten minutes, and all he give was give me a good scraping.

Those big 4x4s don't come cheap.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Interesting, who did she actually work for? I only ask the administration of all dentists in England in Wales was based in Eastbourne and for many years was the towns biggest employer.

Oh perhaps it was in Eastbourne, makes sense really as she lived in Willingdon. It was well before I knew her and unfortunately I can no longer ask.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Dentists
Vets
Plumbers
Builders/roofers
Pet insurance
Lawyers
Financial advisors
Car mechanics

What do you do for a living?

Many employed plumbers do not earn lots of money, I was recently offered a Mon-Fri job as an employee, the hourly rate was really low for an experienced and trained plumber.
As a self employed plumber with my own business I think I charge fair prices for my work.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Never thought I’d see roofers or plumbers in the same bracket as dentists or lawyers !

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
What do you do for a living?

Many employed plumbers do not earn lots of money, I was recently offered a Mon-Fri job as an employee, the hourly rate was really low for an experienced and trained plumber.
As a self employed plumber with my own business I think I charge fair prices for my work.
I didn't say it wasn't fair - just that it wasn't cheap.

Then again if my heating packs up in mid winter or I get a leak, I won't be quibbling the price (much) as long as someone turns out quick and fixes it.

Also there is probably a difference between what employees are paid and what the company charges per hour.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

My mum worked at the Dental Estimates Board in the early 70s working with paper tape. Still have the nice playing fields which was one of my favourite away grounds for Stoolball. Think the site is NHS owned now.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
My mum worked at the Dental Estimates Board in the early 70s working with paper tape. Still have the nice playing fields which was one of my favourite away grounds for Stoolball. Think the site is NHS owned now.

Ironically the site has now returned to it's original use as a school and is the Gildridge House school. It was a school before in 1948 it became the Dental Estimates Board. Sadly the beautiful playing field has gone to pot as the school don't make any effort to maintain it. I played Saturday league cricket on it for 25 years and it was superb because when owned by the NHS they had an agreement with the nearby Eastbourne college who gave us their groundsman.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Tell me you've worked in the insurance industry without telling me you've worked in the insurance industry. :lolol:

It's worse than that. It's the insuretech industry. And we do Cloud / SaaS.

*hides from [MENTION=21477]Dick Swiveller[/MENTION] *

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here