NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I currently have the choice of:-

Swimming - BBC1
Womans B/Ball - BBC3
The same match - 301
Badminton - 302.

Now if I paid a large wodge of cash to Murdoch, I could be watching a $hit load of BBC sport.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Swimming - BBC1
Womans B/Ball - BBC3
The same match - 301
Badminton - 302.

Now if I paid a large wodge of cash to Murdoch, I could be watching a $hit load of BBC sport.

Or no cash to Murdoch at all, and bought a cheap Freesat box?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I have full channel access, but I couldn't watch what I wanted to earlier.

Pennetta vs Tsvetana Pironkova. :down: My lady lost in straight sets, but that's hardly the point.

I am currently presuming it wasn't on a show court, which is why it wasn't shown. I haven't checked, because if I did and found out it WAS a show court, I would be rather cross.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Are all the BBC Olympic channels available on Freeview/sat? There's about 20 of them on Virgin.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are all the BBC Olympic channels available on Freeview/sat? There's about 20 of them on Virgin.
Not on Freeview.
I can only get 4, and 2 of which are showing the same bloody match.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Swimming - BBC1
Womans B/Ball - BBC3
The same match - 301
Badminton - 302.

Nah it's bollocks. Half of the channels don't have anything on and the others have real micky mouse sports on. Who wants to watch f***ing table tennis or Judo?

I watched a bit of the Handball this afternoon and the coverage was dreadful. At half and time and afterwards they had no comm and just a static shot of the crowd. It's about time we got rid of the protected sporting events law and just gave everything to sky. At least they'd do it justice.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Nah it's bollocks. Half of the channels don't have anything on and the others have real micky mouse sports on. Who wants to watch f***ing table tennis or Judo?

I watched a bit of the Handball this afternoon and the coverage was dreadful. At half and time and afterwards they had no comm and just a static shot of the crowd. It's about time we got rid of the protected sporting events law and just gave everything to sky. At least they'd do it justice.

FFS are you kidding?

They offer maximum choice (almost every live event is televised) and you complain there's no commentary - do you struggle to enjoy football at the Amex?!!!

Personally I'm capable of enjoying some of the sport in its purest form

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But they are free on Freesat... which means you pay nothing to Murdoch.
and also means nothing if you don't have Freesat, but shell out for a BBC license.

Something I happy do as I think the beeb is great.
Just a bit pee'ed off about how poor the service is to 'joe public' for 'The BBC's Games'.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

I think you're missing the point entirely. The channels are just the BBC Interactive options, on seperate channels. There is nothing wrong with the coverage, when there is action you're watching the match and you're watching what you would be, with or without commentary. I've really enjoyed the lack of commentary actually, it's enhancing the tennis for me. I wish they had the option of having no commentary at all, I would deffinitely choose it for the basketball match I am watching now.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
and also means nothing if you don't have Freesat, but shell out for a BBC license.

Something I happy do as I think the beeb is great.
Just a bit pee'ed off about how poor the service is to 'joe public' for 'The BBC's Games'.

Use laptop and hook up to tv - not difficult - all being broadcast in HD via website.

On basis full service is on Freesat but not Freeview, I'd imagine it's more to do with tech restrictions of the medium than the BBC's lack of desire to make available.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Without assistance from Sky the BBC wouldn't have been able to provide 48 free to air dedicated Olympics satellite channels (24 HD , 24 SD). Sky have temporarily closed some of the Box Office channels and moved channels onto other transponders to provide the capacity needed.

kano

Jun 17, 2011
They have made extra channels for all the events and broadcast them where they can. You cant just add 24 extra channels of freeview as there is a limited frequency range and there is no 'room' to broadcast them as freeview channels.

You can get it all on the bbc website if you dont have a suitable method of tuning in to the broadcasts TV channels. Its nothing to do with the bbc.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

so you havent brought the right equipment. bit like me complaining i cant get BBC digital radio channels when i dont have a DAB radio.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
FFS are you kidding?

They offer maximum choice (almost every live event is televised) and you complain there's no commentary - do you struggle to enjoy football at the Amex?!!!

Personally I'm capable of enjoying some of the sport in its purest form

Of course I'm not joking. The BBC are terrible at sport these days whilst Sky are superb. I guess it's a case of you get what you pay for. Just a shame I have no choice but to pay for the BBC.

I'm more than capable of enjoying football at the Amex, although it would be nice if the club put the game on in the bars.

I think you're missing the point entirely. The channels are just the BBC Interactive options, on seperate channels. There is nothing wrong with the coverage, when there is action you're watching the match and you're watching what you would be, with or without commentary. I've really enjoyed the lack of commentary actually, it's enhancing the tennis for me. I wish they had the option of having no commentary at all, I would deffinitely choose it for the basketball match I am watching now.

How am I missing the point? You wouldn't have dead air on any other medium? How much work would it be to get Dave the commentator to say a few things at the break? Eurosport manage it!

If you don't want the sound on I'm sure your telly has a mute button.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
so you havent brought the right equipment. bit like me complaining i cant get BBC digital radio channels when i dont have a DAB radio.
Yeah your not wrong.

Although I'd like to see the trailer that says:-

'.....plus a limited service on Freeview'.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
How am I missing the point? You wouldn't have dead air on any other medium? How much work would it be to get Dave the commentator to say a few things at the break? Eurosport manage it!

If you don't want the sound on I'm sure your telly has a mute button.

Why are you comparing it to Eurosport? When they're broadcasting a sport, of course they have commentary, they only have 2 channels. The BBC service is a completely different thing, they're broadcasting a lot of different things at once, they physically can't have dedicated commentary on everything they're showing, it's not practical. As for the mute button, it would spoil the crowd atmosphere a little bit I fear, but thanks for the suggestion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here