Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ii still love the BBC

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Back on topic, there is a lot of good stuff on the BBC and you certainly won't get Commercial TV doing Arts like the classical concert from Vienna on BBC4 last night. Not to say that lots of other BBC programmes (such the entire BBC1 Saturday Night lineup) is not crap!

However the main reason I love the BBC is because they cover County Cricket brilliantly at a regional level while all the other media have decided to ignore it. Oh and TMS of course, although they could do with a few less Yorkshiremen....

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away
Well said the OP. I would happily pay the licence fee for bbc.com (and they're not alowed to make it too good because of competition rules -ie Murdoch complains) or five live alone. The key is the neutrality and trustworthiness. I don't pay, of course, because I live overseas. But i did for years.

If you compare the price with the times or the sun, you'll see the value. It's just that these days there's a lot for free online. But the future without the bbc would be v grim indeed. Ads everywhere, quality thru the floor. Look at Italy or the US.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tGOt9f3gKk

they are pro europe, their news is all corporate adverts (if you really watch closely intead of passively), and they support all wars the UK enter.

they are propaganda.

have they shown any of this from Egypt the past week?

also, watch the panorama with M.Portillo a year before the london bombings, and pro transhumanism and GMO nonsense they push out on Horizon over recent years.

but, saying this, some of their online stuff is really really good and probably worth a small fee alone.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Don't see why I have to pay the license fee as never listen to the radio or TV.

If you don't want live TV or listen to the radio, even if you own them then you don't have to pay. And it is up to them to prove you are using them not down to you to prove you are not.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well said the OP. I would happily pay the licence fee for bbc.com (and they're not alowed to make it too good because of competition rules -ie Murdoch complains) or five live alone. The key is the neutrality and trustworthiness. I don't pay, of course, because I live overseas. But i did for years.

If you compare the price with the times or the sun, you'll see the value. It's just that these days there's a lot for free online. But the future without the bbc would be v grim indeed. Ads everywhere, quality thru the floor. Look at Italy or the US.

Very well put. The BBC is a hugely successful technically creative and innovative organisation that not only provides great tv for you lot at home but also promotes the UK in an incredibly positive way around the world....more so than the Queen who is often held up as a promoter of the UK. No other nation has a widely known and respected service like it. Loose it at your peril as its worth a lot more than the license fee.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Ii agree. We are bloody great. Plus England has the Albion. And plus the BBC has no adverts.

No adverts, are you joking? The BBC is utterly incapable of segueing between 2 shows (radio or TV) without a minimum of one advert, the radio is the worst I'd say every 10 minutes during the day there's an advert for a radio show, or a TV show, or the website, or something. OK the adverts on TV are only between shows, but they do bang on about things to brainwash us to watch, then the viewing statistics are used to sell their products around the world.

astevens76

Jan 22, 2010
Bristol
No adverts, are you joking? The BBC is utterly incapable of segueing between 2 shows (radio or TV) without a minimum of one advert, the radio is the worst I'd say every 10 minutes during the day there's an advert for a radio show, or a TV show, or the website, or something. OK the adverts on TV are only between shows, but they do bang on about things to brainwash us to watch, then the viewing statistics are used to sell their products around the world.

Ok yeah fair shout, they do do a lot of self advertising. I should've been more specific - I meant more in comparison to the other channels that have adverts every fifteen minutes or so. It's nice to watch something all the way through without interruptions.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Also they are focussing too much on the celebs in the crowd, I couldn't give a s**t if James Cordon got free tickets, just film the bloody tennis.

I'd rather watch James Corden than tennis any day:)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think you only really appreciate the BBC when you live abroad. It really is second to none.

Agree, and foreigners know and love it as well. It does so much good for the UK.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

they are pro europe, their news is all corporate adverts (if you really watch closely intead of passively), and they support all wars the UK enter.

they are propaganda.

also, watch the panorama with M.Portillo a year before the london bombings, and pro transhumanism and GMO nonsense they push out on Horizon over recent years.

but, saying this, some of their online stuff is really really good and probably worth a small fee alone.

what utter garbage.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost

they are propaganda.

You what....?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Pay a fortune for a TV licence and they don't even bother to provide commentary of the Whitehawk v Brighton commentary :angry:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Called promos in the TV world. They aren't advertising by definition since they don't generate revenue.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Called promos in the TV world. They aren't advertising by definition since they don't generate revenue.

Your right of course but surely you accept there is no problem with promoting your own programmes to let people know what is coming up. As for ITV, they were interviewing Bradley Walsh with regard to Law and Order and he was going on about making a 46 minute show. So, on ITV you get almost 1 in 4 minutes is advertising for which we all pay through the price of the products we buy.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
But what about Hereford (slight extreme but you know what I mean)? They could have easily ignored the fans, but what would that have made it?

We live as sports fans in a vicarious existence and I'm glad the Director may occasionally head on over our way.

I agree with the sentiment, but this was after every single point and it was mostly focussed on the celebrity liggers in the crowd.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

they are propaganda.

Nothing wrong with transhumanism buddy. Using technology to improve the human condition is the next logical step. Evolution takes too damn long.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here