Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

if you were Hughton......

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Very different players and not really comparable imo... I do think AKs emotions get the better of him though and it comes through in his play... I'm hoping he can get over that side of his game but with his recent RL events in his life can understand why.

Don't get me wrong - AK is amazing overall and has deserves the utmost respect for his attitude on the pitch and for how he has handled the tragic events in his personal life over the recent past. I think someone else said in another thread that if anything he is trying too hard and I think this descibes it well. You notice it most in the final third where AK will try and ride one or two tackles too many, get past one or two too many players or fail to make the best pass or run decision more regularly than make the right choice.

It's all well and good having someone with the talent and style of AK but the mark of a player that is playing intelligently and to their best is that the result of their involvement is positive and produces something.

Agreed SB and AK are different players but the point is that, over recent games, when SB has had the ball we have seen more positive results than when AK has had the ball. I really am not knocking AK, he is a brilliant player and, in his moment, perhaps the most scintillating player we've had for decades but his obvious desire to win, his passion and his energy needs to be focused on playing in a team and not as a one man army.

I am sure CH knows this more than I ever will and I am sure that we will see the balance shift the right way again soon.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
And at the same time bring back the spirit of togetherness which has carried them through tough times.

I don't doubt that's still there BG.

I just think there are one or two who are not doing what they are told to do. Look at Murphy in the last few games. Although he has a decent left foot he is not the greatest of crosser of the ball with his left but you can see he is moving away from his preferred route which is to cut inside. It's obvious he has been told to not be so predictable and that if the route inside is blocked then he should go on the outside and get crosses in....................Although it hasn't been greatly successful I think he at least follows instruction.

I don't think Knockeart brings anyone into play except Bruno and that's only in the hope that he gets the ball back to go for glory himself. That's not how all football matches are won. Yes he has won matches with bits of brilliance but we have three striker on double figures this season - He needs to trust in their abilities as well as his own if he is going to progress into a great player instead of a very talented glory hunter

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
id ignore anything on NSC

What anything?

What about the heady insights into the various press conferences held by the club. Surely those are to be treasured?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Why don't we give the Norwegian guy a go. He seems to be mentioned every time our u23 play and he scores goals!

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Don't get me wrong - AK is amazing overall and has deserves the utmost respect for his attitude on the pitch and for how he has handled the tragic events in his personal life over the recent past. I think someone else said in another thread that if anything he is trying too hard and I think this descibes it well. You notice it most in the final third where AK will try and ride one or two tackles too many, get past one or two too many players or fail to make the best pass or run decision more regularly than make the right choice.

It's all well and good having someone with the talent and style of AK but the mark of a player that is playing intelligently and to their best is that the result of their involvement is positive and produces something.

He's reminding me alot of Teixeira lately, always trying to beat one too many when a pass is on.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Go on, humour me, a kid on the bench why not?

Oh, you don't win anything with kids......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a squad of seasoned professionals who will simply be doubly determined after today and who've shown over the long term they can beat most teams. I appreciate no-one wants the season to go stale but just can't see why we'd start throwing untested kids into the mix. There's a lot of random stuff on here right now suggesting this player or that player would do better - based only on the fact they've not been playing, and therefore haven't had the chance to show they're out of form/not up to it or whatever. Hughton sees all the players, every single day in training. I'm sure he knows who's worth a run out. He's got it right far more than he's got it wrong.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Can we stop all the premier league ready articles, we're on our way chants and let Chris keep the players feet on the ground. All the other nonsense just gives our opposition that little more motivation.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Ito be honest if I were Hughton I would be very worried. The players look jaded and tired and we have key games on Tuesday at Rotherham and friday against Derby. Our away form is rubbish and Derby are one of the strongest squads in the division. If we lost them both, Huddersfield will most likely overtake us, (although they also have tough games at home to Villa and away to Brentford).

The real problem as I see it is that we don't have sufficient quality of cover in the squad. When Duffy gets injured, or Dunk banned it's clear that the defensive cover is not good enough. When Murray and Hemed don't score we have no good alternative. Stephens and Kayal are both off form or unfit and so there is no one to adequately partner Sidwell. Huddersfield played 9 changes in their successful FA cup squad and still played and competed as a team. We couldn't do that. That is why Hughton will worry and we should all be worried. Personally I thought we were taking a risk in not strengthening adequately in January that we would probably still be ok. I think in the next couple of weeks we will see the truth of that.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We have a squad of seasoned professionals who will simply be doubly determined after today and who've shown over the long term they can beat most teams. I appreciate no-one wants the season to go stale but just can't see why we'd start throwing untested kids into the mix. There's a lot of random stuff on here right now suggesting this player or that player would do better - based only on the fact they've not been playing, and therefore haven't had the chance to show they're out of form/not up to it or whatever. Hughton sees all the players, every single day in training. I'm sure he knows who's worth a run out. He's got it right far more than he's got it wrong.

All fair comments. On the Hughton part I'm sure (and hope) you're right. However there is nothing random in this, Tilley is on fire at the moment and whilst I am being a little unfair on Akpom, to me the area we are lacking in most is the cover for Baldock (or no 10 role as it is called these days). Pure creativity through dribbling the ball centrally, rather than working it wide. Inexperienced or not, we need that type of player (dare I say a Pritchard), and Tilley fits the bill.

With 7 subs, I would always include a younger player, for the experience (we have Tomori at the moment I suppose, but that is more of a 'needs must' selection), as i am sure we'd rather have our own players gaining the experience.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Need kayal back to his best asap and should be played instead of the useless Norwood:)

Norwood when he came on was one of our best players yesterday. Corners, a couple of shots, and started spraying the ball out to the wings.
Despite the miserable result we had a 15-20 minute period when we were all over them.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
4-4-2 works when your wingers are shit hot and your two central midfielders are rock solid. Otherwise..........

And if I was Hughton I would quit. I feel like shit being a fan at the moment, god only knows what it's like for a manager. Mind you I am a doom and gloom merchant and know it.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I think that after the Derby game would be a great time to take the players away to the Canary Islands or somewhere for a few days of warm weather training and then come back refreshed and ready to go again. I just heard on 'Match of the Day' that Leicester are off to Dubai for 4 days and thought that could be exactly what we need right now.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
All fair comments. On the Hughton part I'm sure (and hope) you're right. However there is nothing random in this, Tilley is on fire at the moment and whilst I am being a little unfair on Akpom, to me the area we are lacking in most is the cover for Baldock (or no 10 role as it is called these days). Pure creativity through dribbling the ball centrally, rather than working it wide. Inexperienced or not, we need that type of player (dare I say a Pritchard), and Tilley fits the bill.

With 7 subs, I would always include a younger player, for the experience (we have Tomori at the moment I suppose, but that is more of a 'needs must' selection), as i am sure we'd rather have our own players gaining the experience.

Fair play. You make a good case for Tilley on the bench.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Against reading we were excellent, this took a lot out of the team. Playing the same team against newcastle made sense but they tired and that cost us the game. We needed a couple of changes yesterday, I hope to see a few for Rotherham. I would go hemed for Murray and Norwood for Stephens. I expect Rotherham to sit back so we need to unlock them.
And can we put the we're on our way chant to bed for 4/5 games
After Leeds away I think we can kick in,if we can keep the 6 point lead until then we are doing well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here