Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you could revisit one game from the goldstone era which would it be?

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Fans United - brilliant day.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
1. Fans United. Everything about it was perfection: Hove Park beforehand, the foggy weather, the ridiculous amount of away fans. Oh, and the score.
2. The Liverpool FA Cup game in '84 as above - wasn't that the first EVER live televised game on a Sunday, apart from internationals? So we invented the Sky Super Sunday for them.
3. That promotion game against Bristol Rovers - not least for that big chap tripping over before kick-off and taking the laughter of 19,000 people in good humour.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
87/88 V Bristol Rovers. Bright spring day, packed Goldstone, victory and promotion. Nelson and Bremner, jumpers for goalposts.

Wickham Wanderer

Sep 17, 2012
There are some great games to reflect on with most already mentioned. Another one that sticks out was in 95 against York City when the pitch was invaded to get media focus of how our club was beefing run in to the ground. The goal posts where broken and the crown were really divided on the action some had taken, but I really think the planned work. I would have like to relive this day and contributed more in the protest.

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
Don't know if i would like to go back or not but one of the most memorable matches for me was v Millwall. The one the Millwall fan got in the North Stand. We went two nil down and Mullery sent the players back on the pitch at half time as he reckoned they had not deserved a break. A tactic that worked wonderfully.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
3. That promotion game against Bristol Rovers - not least for that big chap tripping over before kick-off and taking the laughter of 19,000 people in good humour.

I remember that, Devon White I think it was ,and didn't Wurzel play in that game?

Anyway , Millwall ,1st home game back in Div2 1978. 2 - 0 down at half time and looking well beaten, one almighty bollocking later Mullery sent The Albion out early for the 2nd half and a suddenly rejuvenated Albion win 3 - 2. The atmosphere was electric with the f-troop in their surgical masks adding a bit of spice. Despite having been to a few games before THAT was the one that got me hooked!

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
I remember that, Devon White I think it was ,and didn't Wurzel play in that game?

Anyway , Millwall ,1st home game back in Div2 1978. 2 - 0 down at half time and looking well beaten, one almighty bollocking later Mullery sent The Albion out early for the 2nd half and a suddenly rejuvenated Albion win 3 - 2. The atmosphere was electric with the f-troop in their surgical masks adding a bit of spice. Despite having been to a few games before THAT was the one that got me hooked!

Snap

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
The one that I went to - BHA v Liverpool 1984 FA Cup.

The one I missed: Fans United

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
so many great memories,this is a tough ask Rev

alot were night games

palace 2-0
wednesday promotion
pompey 4-0 & 2-1 (two late goals)
Ipswich & Derby League Cup
Wardy hat-trick ffor England U21's
Walsall 7-0
Shrewsbury 2-2 (0-2 down at half time,Binney pen late on)

but to pick ONE game,that I could change slightly would be the Palace 2-2 cup game,but Rachid Harkouk doesn't come off the bench and bag the equaliser
I was at the OP's game but this one was the first time I felt there was an extra edge to a Palace game

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
2 - 0 F.A. Cup against Liverpool Feb '84 chilly but bright Sunday afternoon, game was also televised I believe. Corrigan played a blinder, Ryan and Connor scored very similar goals each within minutes of each othe early in the second half and the Liverpool forward line had " ...couldn't hit a cow's backside with a banjo" sort of afternoon. I remember a Liverpool short corner which went completely wrong with it being passed to fresh air.

Hate to be a pedant (okay I don't really) but I believe that one was at the end of January. 29th to be precise. I was about to get married and it was my wife-to-be's birthday but I went to the game anyway. Had to set some ground rules in case she got any ideas about how our marriage was going to be.

So many memories to think about, the walk from Hove Station, the Programme Seller outside the Church, the walk past the East on the way round to the North, Hove Park, Old Shoreham Road, the HUGE club shop in the West (one in, one out), waiting for the players to arrive in the dodgy Car Park to get autographs. All good fun! Top 15 Games:

1. 7-2 York City 76 – First Game at the Goldstone
2. 1-0 Doncaster 97 – Last game at the Goldstone
3. 2-1 Sunderland 77 – Oh Eric Potts you super sub
4. 3-1 Tottenham 78 – Come on the Tank! (I was in the North that day, not a nice place to be!)
5. 2-1 Blackpool 78 – The crowd, unbelievable, the dream, the disappointment (dodgy match at the Dell)
6. 2-1 Blackburn 79 – The smoke bomb, the dream – realised! Oh yes.
7. 0-4 Arsenal 79 – The FIRST – doc martin boots in Hove Park. 50p Programme (shocking)
8. 0-1 Man City 83 – Our LAST. At least they were relegated too.
9. 7-0 Charlton 83 – First Half was like watching Brazil (of that era, not the team now!)
10. 1-0 Man Utd 82 – We all live in a Wardy wonderland
11. 2-0 Liverpool 84 – Cup game. In the North as usual.
12. 2-1 Brizzle Rvrs 88 – A week before I joined the Army, oh yeah, great game and promotion (loved the NOBO sponsorship) – our last promotion at the Goldstone ever!
13. 1-2 Arsenal 88 – Great atmosphere and went toe-to-toe with the big gun(ners)s. Nels – that is all.
14. 4-1 Man City 83 – Wet, very wet. Always see myself on TV just to the left of the North Stand goal in my blue rain coat.
15. 3-1 Palace 88 – Another Boxing Day win for the good guys. Palace were a very good side and we took them apart.

To stay in accordance with the brief (although slightly carried away), late 70s era for me. We were so on the up, starting really from Taylor's reign. He set the foundations and Mullers built on it. Great times, great team.

Tottenham 78 does it for me. For all the reasons many prior to this have written. Very scary day though!

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Surely the dream was put in reach by that result, it was the game at Newcastle when it was realised.

Remember all the others though and would agree that the Tottenham game was probably the best.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
2 - 0 F.A. Cup against Liverpool Feb '84 chilly but bright Sunday afternoon, game was also televised I believe. Corrigan played a blinder, Ryan and Connor scored very similar goals each within minutes of each othe early in the second half and the Liverpool forward line had " ...couldn't hit a cow's backside with a banjo" sort of afternoon. I remember a Liverpool short corner which went completely wrong with it being passed to fresh air.

This 100% great atmosphere. Was on the East Terrace and seem totally crammed. Think the croud was about 19000.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So many memories to think about, the walk from Hove Station, the Programme Seller outside the Church, the walk past the East on the way round to the North, Hove Park, Old Shoreham Road, the HUGE club shop in the West (one in, one out), waiting for the players to arrive in the dodgy Car Park to get autographs. All good fun! Top 15 Games:

1. 7-2 York City 76 – First Game at the Goldstone
2. 1-0 Doncaster 97 – Last game at the Goldstone
3. 2-1 Sunderland 77 – Oh Eric Potts you super sub
4. 3-1 Tottenham 78 – Come on the Tank! (I was in the North that day, not a nice place to be!)
5. 2-1 Blackpool 78 – The crowd, unbelievable, the dream, the disappointment (dodgy match at the Dell)
7. 0-4 Arsenal 79 – The FIRST – doc martin boots in Hove Park. 50p Programme (shocking)
8. 0-1 Man City 83 – Our LAST. At least they were relegated too.
9. 7-0 Charlton 83 – First Half was like watching Brazil (of that era, not the team now!)
10. 1-0 Man Utd 82 – We all live in a Wardy wonderland
11. 2-0 Liverpool 84 – Cup game. In the North as usual.
12. 2-1 Brizzle Rvrs 88 – A week before I joined the Army, oh yeah, great game and promotion (loved the NOBO sponsorship) – our last promotion at the Goldstone ever!
13. 1-2 Arsenal 88 – Great atmosphere and went toe-to-toe with the big gun(ners)s. Nels – that is all.
14. 4-1 Man City 83 – Wet, very wet. Always see myself on TV just to the left of the North Stand goal in my blue rain coat.
15. 3-1 Palace 88 – Another Boxing Day win for the good guys. Palace were a very good side and we took them apart.

To stay in accordance with the brief (although slightly carried away), late 70s era for me. We were so on the up, starting really from Taylor's reign. He set the foundations and Mullers built on it. Great times, great team.

Tottenham 78 does it for me. For all the reasons many prior to this have written. Very scary day though!

100% agree. Tottenham and the Chelsea game in 1983? We're really scary. Went to all them games above btw

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Millwall play off semi final anyone? Just incredible day.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
So difficult to say.....

Brighton 2 - 0 Palace 1976
Brighton 3 - 0 Palace Boxing Day ?1980
Brighton 2 - 3 Wolves ?1981 - just a great game and memorable for Lawrenson's full pitch dribble.
Brighton 2 - 1 Ipswich - Wilkins free-kick in the last minute

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Sheffield Wednesday game May 1977 to clinch promotion to Div 2 (Championship for the young 'uns).

Bedlam in front of 33,000 ish.

This....The best game i've ever been to as a 10 year old under the lights.

Although West Ham's 2-1 win in 1978 when 'Pop' Robson got them both is up there :cool:

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Portsmouth League Cup August 1969 won 1-0 Alex Dawson scored the only goal in the south end, only game my dad took me to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here