Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If we'd have lost at Hereford...

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
And if Bassam and Caplin and ring fenced The Goldstone like their South East London counterparts did with The Valley we might even be playing in a 35,000 capacity redeveloped Goldstone Ground.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I don't know why you don't believe it. HKFC and I don't tell lies. All you need to do is search.

HKFC does.

I didn't suggest you were lying. I understand that was the Conference's stance at the time. That doesn't mean it couldn't have been worked out, I'm sure it could have been had we been relegated.

A bit like the "It is absolutely impossible for the Albion to ever have a stadium anywhere other than Falmer ever ever ever" stance.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Let's be honest, the season after Hereford we were far worse and were only saved by Doncaster having possibly the worst team in the history of the Football League. So you're right that we'd have sunk low in the Conference and may have even been relegated again! We'd certainly not have been promoted for several years.
This is a good point. That post-Hereford team was shocking, like really really really bad.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
This is a good point. That post-Hereford team was shocking, like really really really bad.
Luckily Doncaster were even worse. IIRC the worst bottom division points tally in football league history, to this day. Their owner literally hired park football players for £50 a week.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
And if Bassam and Caplin and ring fenced The Goldstone like their South East London counterparts did with The Valley we might even be playing in a 35,000 capacity redeveloped Goldstone Ground.
Part of the problem with the Goldstone was it couldn't be redeveloped on the east side because of a covenant, before Archer they did try to get rid of the covenant but were told it wasn't possible so no chance for a 35,000 stadium.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Took Doncaster 5 seasons to get back up, and then they won the League 2 title the first year back. They were in a worse state than we were when they went down.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I’ve always wondered if we would have been ok. I think with the supporters and the ability to campaign etc we would have survived. But I could be wrong so I’m glad it was never put to the test.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Kerry Mayo must break into a cold sweat to this day just thinking about it
A little known fact about Kerry Mayo. In his career, he score three own goals. The Albion didn't lose any of those three matches.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Part of the problem with the Goldstone was it couldn't be redeveloped on the east side because of a covenant, before Archer they did try to get rid of the covenant but were told it wasn't possible so no chance for a 35,000 stadium.
Tony Bloom could have bought all those houses over time!

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Part of the problem with the Goldstone was it couldn't be redeveloped on the east side because of a covenant, before Archer they did try to get rid of the covenant but were told it wasn't possible so no chance for a 35,000 stadium
Look at the amount of building work that’s gone on around the old stadium in the last 15 years?

Granted we would have had to relocate elsewhere for 12 months or so, and moved the pitch slightly but I still think it could have worked.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Took Doncaster 5 seasons to get back up, and then they won the League 2 title the first year back. They were in a worse state than we were when they went down.
Debatable. Ownership wise, they were in a bad way, but at least they got to continue playing their home games in Doncaster so were able to survive those 5 years.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I'm sorry, is this another if auntie had bollocks she'd be my uncle type thread?
I know the JCLs need to be reminded of where we came from, but let's ride the wave of achievement for a couple of seasons and not get stuck thinking of the trough of despair :shrug:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
A lot of fans of clubs relegated to the Conference are optimistic of a speedy return.

I’m sure some of those fans in question support Torquay, Chester, Scunthorpe or Darlington to name just four.
As were Hereford themselves. At their first match in the Conference their fans were wearing t-shirts saying 'On loan to the Vauxhall Conference'. In fact it took them nearly ten years to get back - and they still had their own ground. It's probably stretching the point a bit but one could argue that the spell in the Conference fatally damaged them as they eventually went bust and had to re-form as Hereford FC.

Like others I too think we wouldn't be where we are now. Could we have had the Adams Era, Zamora, etc? And let's not forget that we were still unbelievably shit the following season 97/98, so dropping even further down the pyramid could have been a possibility.

So I do think relegation would have meant the death of that 1901 version of BHA. Other clubs have come back, but those that lost their grounds, such as Bradford (Park Avenue), never* made/make it back to the League, let alone reach the PL - which let's not forget was a huge achievement. A phoenix club playing at a slimmed-down Withdean is probably the best we could be, we'd have fallen too far to get 'here'.

*EDIT: Make that 'rarely'. Accrington Stanley did it. (But again they've never made the PL)

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
A lot of fans of clubs relegated to the Conference are optimistic of a speedy return.

I’m sure some of those fans in question support Torquay, Chester, Scunthorpe or Darlington to name just four.
Luton Town took 5 seasons.They'd been in the top flight not long before.

Reinelt 62

Jul 5, 2003
The Conference made it absolutely clear throughout the 96/97 season that under no circumstances whatsoever would BHAFC be allowed to play in it during the 97/98 season without a "home ground".

In theory the club. such as it was, would have had to have applied to join the next league down, the Dr Martens League, and replaced one of this lot in 1997.

Attachments

• 20240403_153302.jpg
    20240403_153302.jpg
    591.1 KB · Views: 60

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here