Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If we could get into Europe this season

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Would it put the brakes on us selling our gems every close season?

It's getting annoying, how can we stop it, maybe we can't?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Getting into the top 4 would do that, but not getting to one of the lesser European competitions IMO.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Getting into the top 4 would do that, but not getting to one of the lesser European competitions IMO.

I think you are probably right, the two players we sold this season wanted CL football. The Europa League is a bit Carabao Cup for top clubs

I know United fans who just dismissed it as a nothing cup in the days when they got into Europe

larus

I think you are probably right, the two players we sold this season wanted CL football. The Europa League is a bit Carabao Cup for top clubs

I know United fans who just dismissed it as a nothing cup in the days when they got into Europe

There’s another to to look at it though IMO.

If we were to get to the Europa League, then for players who aren’t going to be first team regulars at a CL team may be inclined to stay here, be a regular starter and also experience some European games.

I realise that the top players (Biss, Cucu, Moises) will aspire for CL, but the Europa would be another big step forward.

It would be like comparing a relegation fighting team to a mid-table team - where would you rather be.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

Nope, it'll just make our sales more expensive. I'm not getting annoyed about it. I was excited by Cucurella and Bissouma, now I'm excited by Caicedo and Estupinan and I'm sure that next summer I'll be excited by the next crop.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Wolves and Burnley living on the back of their recent ventures into European football.
No more Saturday games, and a Thursday night in Hajduk Split

Niiice.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
IF we continue progressing, then what I think will happen is that the standard of players we attract to the club (either established names or potential stars) will improve and IF we qualify for the conference,Europa League then those players will start to stay. We can see this happening already with the latest recruit, a Europa League winner, CL Semi finalist choosing Brighton over other clubs. There is no way he would have joined 3 years ago, with us firmly entrenched in the lower part of the table, with relegation a real possibility.

We are never going to compete with the really big clubs, so players are always going to go when the big PL and European clubs come calling, however if there is a realistic chance of European competition players will stay rather than go to other higher but non CL clubs. The higher up the food chain we are, the bigger the attraction to stay will be

I think its easy to say we are just selling our best year on year but actually we arent, we have just been fortunate enough to have three undoubted world class players in a short space of time, before then when was the last player sold the club didnt want to go? Whilst the quality of the squad is undoubtedly improving, I think it unlikely we will see the same volume of these high level sales transfer window after transfer window, but even if we do, it would mean the club has replaced those with similar players .

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
There’s another to to look at it though IMO.

If we were to get to the Europa League, then for players who aren’t going to be first team regulars at a CL team may be inclined to stay here, be a regular starter and also experience some European games.

I realise that the top players (Biss, Cucu, Moises) will aspire for CL, but the Europa would be another big step forward.

It would be like comparing a relegation fighting team to a mid-table team - where would you rather be.

most footballers will answer choose the one who pays more

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

We can't stop it, sadly. Every single player passing through just sees an Albion contract as a stepping stone to a Big Six Big Money gig. So Sanchez goes next. Then Mitoma.

So it goes. We only get to hang on to the so-so players. And flame me all you want, but you'll only be shooting the messenger

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
No more Saturday games, and a Thursday night in Hajduk Split

Niiice.

This would be a MASSIVE downer for me. Yes, I'd love us to get into Europe sometime, but not necessarily at the expense of no Saturday matches.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We can't stop it, sadly. Every single player passing through just sees an Albion contract as a stepping stone to a Big Six Big Money gig. So Sanchez goes next. Then Mitoma.

So it goes. We only get to hang on to the so-so players. And flame me all you want, but you'll only be shooting the messenger

Yes. We will sell players like Bissouma, Cucurella, Dunk and White. Thats part of what our club is about. What most PL clubs are about. Nobody is denying it. Potter, Barber, Bloom have all said such in the last month or so.
But Our squad has some of the best players that have ever played for the club. Ever. They are not "so-so".
And not
"every single player" is "passing through" . Ask Dunk, Webster, Welbeck, Trossard, Gross etc. Ask Graham Potter himself .

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

:lolol:

We’ve probably got a more settled core in our playing squad than we’ve had in years. Shoot the messenger - you’re not even typing stuff that qualifies as a message!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
IF we continue progressing, then what I think will happen is that the standard of players we attract to the club (either established names or potential stars) will improve and IF we qualify for the conference,Europa League then those players will start to stay. We can see this happening already with the latest recruit, a Europa League winner, CL Semi finalist choosing Brighton over other clubs. There is no way he would have joined 3 years ago, with us firmly entrenched in the lower part of the table, with relegation a real possibility.

We are never going to compete with the really big clubs, so players are always going to go when the big PL and European clubs come calling, however if there is a realistic chance of European competition players will stay rather than go to other higher but non CL clubs. The higher up the food chain we are, the bigger the attraction to stay will be

I think its easy to say we are just selling our best year on year but actually we arent, we have just been fortunate enough to have three undoubted world class players in a short space of time, before then when was the last player sold the club didnt want to go? Whilst the quality of the squad is undoubtedly improving, I think it unlikely we will see the same volume of these high level sales transfer window after transfer window, but even if we do, it would mean the club has replaced those with similar players .

The missing element in your piece imho is salary structure. We are low payers in context with the PL. We have a tight reign on salary structure. Top players are attracted by a number of things but money is a key one. We can make all the progress in the world but we’ll still have to find undiscovered gems or bring youth through if our wage cap is far below the rest of the league. Unfortunately that is the brutal truth. I’m not complaining mind, fantastic job to be considered a settled PL club for the moment.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
:lolol:

We’ve probably got a more settled core in our playing squad than we’ve had in years. Shoot the messenger - you’re not even typing stuff that qualifies as a message!

Not sure why you're playing the grinning idiot there. Unless of course you're an ACTUAL idiot. Newly-revitalised recruitment dept (updated TB algorithm?) looking good in the short term. Tho every damn player that makes an EPL impact will be ripe for plucking by that mediocre chancer Ashworth. Same as any BHAFC academy wunderkind -who will doubtless have already been flagged up to that snide ****'s new employer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here