[Football] If Trossard starts against England

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Terry Venables, ex Palace manager and attributed ( wrongly) to be a large reason for our rivalry with them up the road,, went on to manage England in one of our most exciting periods.

His England team had my full support.
Southgate, a lucky, over promoted yes man, with little footballing nous, doesn’t have my full support.

Venables tenure was purely Euro 96, we qualified automatically as hosts so every other game, Euro 96 aside, was technically meaningless. We only won 2 games out of 5 in normal time, and we had home advantage, when it it came to the real test we came up short again.

How is Venables record seen as success (and Bobby Robson's for that matter) yet Southgate's record people pour scorn? Venables had home advantage, the weight of a nation behind, didn't have to qualify and a superior squad, yet only acheived the same?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Southgate was the right man at the right time for the 2018 world cup. An intelligent and likeable man able to work with the young and experienced players bring back a connection between the players and fans.

But as a lot of experts and fans were saying at the time, he wasn't really qualified for the role and there was always a concern he would be found out tactically and I think we're seeing that now. His team selection is really poor (Henderson and Rice in midfield, Dier and Walker in the back three and Trippier ar left wing back?!) and we have no clear plan or tactic at all. That win last night owed to complete luck, a dive from Henderson and the fact that Belgium also have a poor manager who doesn't get the most of of his squad.

He's also repeating the age old England manager mistake of not trusting and picking when it counts, our most talented player. Grealish will be wasted because he will insist on picking other players like Rashford, Sancho, Mount etc ahead of him. He only called him up last time because he was forced to.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Venables tenure was purely Euro 96, we qualified automatically as hosts so every other game, Euro 96 aside, was technically meaningless. We only won 2 games out of 5 in normal time, and we had home advantage, when it it came to the real test we came up short again.

How is Venables record seen as success (and Bobby Robson's for that matter) yet Southgate's record people pour scorn? Venables had home advantage, the weight of a nation behind, didn't have to qualify and a superior squad, yet only acheived the same?

My post was answering [MENTION=29514]SAC[/MENTION] that a lot of NSC posters don’t support England because Southgate played for Palace.
My point was that a lot of us rated TV as a far superior manager( ex Spurs, ex Barcelona) so fully supported England, to Southgate ( ex Boro, and, errr that’s it actually) and therefore, can’t really commit to complete enthusiasm for our national team.

Saying the nation was completely backing Venables England is wrong as well. Have you forgotten the dentist chair/ Hong Kong furore?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
My post was answering [MENTION=29514]SAC[/MENTION] that a lot of NSC posters don’t support England because Southgate played for Palace.
My point was that a lot of us rated TV as a far superior manager( ex Spurs, ex Barcelona) so fully supported England, to Southgate ( ex Boro, and, errr that’s it actually) and therefore, can’t really commit to complete enthusiasm for our national team.

Saying the nation was completely backing Venables England is wrong as well. Have you forgotten the dentist chair/ Hong Kong furore?

TV had the respect of his players. He was never an FA man.

The job is a poisoned chalice, no proper/decent manager would take the job and ever succeed unless it was under their own terms, which the FA would never accept . . . . the likes of Sven etc just did it for the money.

Last edited:

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
Southgate was the right man at the right time for the 2018 world cup. An intelligent and likeable man able to work with the young and experienced players bring back a connection between the players and fans.

But as a lot of experts and fans were saying at the time, he wasn't really qualified for the role and there was always a concern he would be found out tactically and I think we're seeing that now. His team selection is really poor (Henderson and Rice in midfield, Dier and Walker in the back three and Trippier ar left wing back?!) and we have no clear plan or tactic at all. That win last night owed to complete luck, a dive from Henderson and the fact that Belgium also have a poor manager who doesn't get the most of of his squad.

He's also repeating the age old England manager mistake of not trusting and picking when it counts, our most talented player. Grealish will be wasted because he will insist on picking other players like Rashford, Sancho, Mount etc ahead of him. He only called him up last time because he was forced to.

Just for a bit of perspective. We played twice, won twice, against the the best ranked team in the world

in 2006 we couldn't beat Macedonia at home with this team:

Robinson, Gary Neville, Terry, King, Cole, Gerrard, Lampard, Carrick, Downing (Wright-Phillips 70), Rooney (Defoe 74), Crouch.

Subs Not Used: Kirkland, Phil Neville, Carragher, Parker, Bent

Just sayin'

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think Southgate is a bit in love with his own image of a modern coach who picks young players, and so keeps on bringing new names in for the sake of it.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think Southgate is a bit in love with his own image of a modern coach who picks young players, and so keeps on bringing new names in for the sake of it.

He can't lose really . . . . just keep the FA nonces happy and keep taking the money.

As long as he cruises through mickey mouse qualification teams for tournament finals, no ones expecting us to ever win anything.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Southgate was the right man at the right time for the 2018 world cup.

That the favoured nations fell away so feebly meant that he had to do naff all really. I'll never forgive the waistcoated spunktrumpet for bungling the Croatia game. We would have beaten France and celebrated a world cup but for him.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Only on NSC can people dislike their naional team just becuase the manager played for a rival 25 years ago. Probably our most successful manager since Sir Alf.

I dislike him because he's a c***.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but on my LiveScore app it's showing Trossard as starting tonight.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Starting again tonight.

Playing Sunday is now becoming a bit of good news.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Appears to have had a good match tonight. Although some Belgians in Twitter a bit miffed that he plays for a team like Brighton.

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
EkXG5W4X0AAFE7K.jpeg

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Eddie Howe next England manager surely.

No chance. Wasn't Eddie Howes 'strength' taking players from lower leagues and elevating them to Premier League players.

Hence why when he had players like Glenn Murray, Jermaine Defoe it never really worked out, but did for the plenty of youngsters he signed from Scotland / Championship etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports