Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] IF there's a Christmas lockdown - would you comply?

Would you comply with a Christmas 2021 lockdown?

• yes, I'd comply.

Votes: 179 57.2%
  • no, I would not comply.

Votes: 134 42.8%

• Total voters

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Wont be any lockdown over here but I'm still going to follow hospitalisations and then make late decisions based on that, no matter what the government here says. If there is a sharp increase between now and Christmas I'll probably avoid Christmas/New Years.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Ive already lost over £500 in bookings (taxi)when is enough enough. We all want to do the right thing but this thing is here to stay forever ,government happy to pay my furlough again then great otherwise what choice do we have . Eventually you are going to see anarchy on streets like abroad .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Ive already lost over £500 in bookings (taxi)when is enough enough. We all want to do the right thing but this thing is here to stay forever ,government happy to pay my furlough again then great otherwise what choice do we have . Eventually you are going to see anarchy on streets like abroad .

Furlough or any support isn’t coming back, we have no money

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
No I won't.

Family are coming up to see us, which was planned last year, but cancelled by the government and I ended up in Hospital with Covid anyway.

I don't think they will anyway tbh.
The last Lockdown was farcical, I barely noticed any difference.

The governments advice is always so wishy washy, that people feel in their rights to adapt the restrictions to what they want to do anyway
If there is a need for drastic measures, then take drastic measures, Don't piss about with a load of exceptions and caveats all the ****ing time.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
firstly, absolutely none of that has been confirmed by of the research yet and currently it is generally expected that the vaccines will deal with Omicron. Regardless, you cannot keep shutting down the economy every six months and yet simultaneously insit that people need boosters every six months and dangle a return to normality as an incentive to get people jabbed. that just won't work.

and what you've described with regards to your father is simply precautions. not visiting 91 year old people in care homes is quite a long way from what we've generally seen in lockdowns before, with all non-essential stuff closed, large events banned and even limits on how often you can leave your home. I'm all for sensible precautions being taken but a return to the purgatory of lockdown is becoming increasingly hard to justify, imo.

Absolutely this. Restrictions on full capacity crowds at football etc I'd understand, but like I said, going from running as normal bar mask wearing to not being allowed to travel to see your own family etc would be a farce.

But I would not put it past this absolute shower of a government

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Looking at the pressure the poor sods working in the NHS are going through, yes I would comply.

The politicians may lack integrity but I am not going to clap for carers and then make it worse by being a c*ck myself.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
There's a whole range of behaviour that a "lockdown" could encompass. For example, staying mostly at home over Christmas isn't really going to be a problem. But then I don't tend to go to crowded places at the best of times; I've only been a crowded pub once since March 2020.

At the moment I'm still planning on commuting to work some days - and I suspect the risk is actually going to be quite reduced as there are already noticeably fewer people travelling than a few weeks ago. We're going out for one meal on the 21st as well and I will certainly be doing that.

But I don't think there's any choice when it comes to lockdown. If work is ordered to close then I won't go. If the restaurant I'm booked to go to is ordered to close, then I won't go. But if I'm ordered to stay in my house and not visit relatives? No - I will be doing that whatever happens and I'm sure most other people will too. After all, the vast majority of people have had their vaccines now - the whole point of them was to allow normal life to resume.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I can assure you that I would not endanger lives of loved ones in order to cock a snook and make a point.

Can't answer for others mind.

I appreciate your first point.

But I don't understand your second. Are you suggesting that there are people who will endanger lives simply to cock a snook at the government? Yes, there is a minority of the population who will do anything, bestiality, cannibalism, eating their own shit, but they are mad. There is no need for you to tell us you can't answer for them. If you are trying to make some other point it may be helpful to use more than the number of syllables in a typical Das Reich haiku to do so.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Starting to feel a bit the same.

We’re double jabbed, soon to be tripled.

We’ve complied with every lockdown.

Wear masks everywhere.

Have done everything we’ve been asked to do, and are beginning to wonder who or what we’d now be protecting by yet another lockdown, should it happen.

I get the point about not overwhelming the NHS, but - to be honest - that alarm bell has been rung numerous times in the past, and it never really happened.

If people are now just getting mild symptoms, and deaths aren’t surging, then the cynic in me starts to wonder if the only real ‘at risk’ group now is the unvaccinated.

In which case, fvck ‘em.

Apart from the small segment who medically can’t have the vaccine - whom I do care about and wish to continue protecting - those who are choosing not to take it pretty much deserve to face any consequences now. Their choice, so why should others do any more for them now.

Meanwhile life has to start going back to normal. Maybe slowly, but I’m not sure there’s widespread willingness for things to go backwards yet again.

That's pretty close to how I feel.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes and no…….and dependent on the rest of the family
-my elderly widowed mother will come and stay no matter what.
-my son who works in a ‘sports bubble’ and his GF who is a teacher will almost certainly comply with rules
-my daughter is paranoid about Covid as she works with very highly immuno-compromised patients, so we may not see her for many months again

Other than that, lockdown/more rules won’t affect us much anyway

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
I can assure you that I would not endanger lives of loved ones in order to cock a snook and make a point.

Can't answer for others mind.

It’s ok saying what sounds the right thing but reality is very much different. Many many business need this month as it’s the best of the year definitely mine . Jan and feb are the worst . I gave bills to pay and just can’t afford to get any further behind . Next year then the next, then the next and so on ,you want to keep locking down ?country won’t stand for it .

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Given Johnson's reluctance to cancel Christmas last year, I can't see a lockdown occurring this year. It will be the same fudge and a spike in January.
I would comply should there be one

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
whats the end goal here though? COVID isn't going away, we can't keep going back into lockdown every time a new variant appears. that's simply unfeasible.

Well it's obvious isn't it? The objective is containment so that not everyone is ill at the same time and the hospitals can't cope with those who get it badly...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well it's obvious isn't it? The objective is containment so that not everyone is ill at the same time and the hospitals can't cope with those who get it badly...

But Xmas family gatherings should be lowdown on the targets, should more things require cancelling.

Thousands, tens of thousands of folk mingling at football matches, clubbing, restaurants and pubs packed with strangers, all the ‘tough guys’ still refusing (criminally) to wear masks in shops/buses/trains.

Are spreader events and scenarios.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'm treble jabbed, had covid once, likely twice. I'm meeting people treble jabbed at Xmas. If anyone can tell me what else I can do to stop the spread I'm all ears. Inject the covid deniers. Let the rest of us go about our business. They are the villains of this. If you know one, get them to get a vaccine They are the selfish bells prolonging all this (kids are a separate argument).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here