If Sami is here to stay...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Is that the Billy Paynter who was signed 6 weeks before Burke took up the job?

My mistake, still probably better buisness than paying a fee for Monakana who can't get a starting place in Crawley's or Aberdeen's starting 11!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That must be it. Whichever explanation enables us to avoid giving any credit to our recruitment department.

Yes because my whole raison d'etre revolves around paying two lots of too much money to indulge in a form of entertainment where the main protagonists are provided by someone I despise and I do it just so I can have a good old moan, which I love. Not because we're sleepwalking towards a division where our choices would be split between being totally effing screwed and asking our benefactor to dig even further in to his pockets just to stop the club from dying on its arse. I'm not moaning because I dislike Bloom or Burke. I'm moaning because relegation would be a financial omnishambles for this football club given the current commercial activities and business plan.

The recruiting department can have credit for Lingard, Upson, TK, Stockdale (who I maintain will come good), Orlandi, Spanish Dave and Ulloa. Happily. It means that they have to take responsibility for Obika, Lita, Rodriguez, Dobbie, O'Grady Toko and Agustien. Teixeira meanwhile would NOT be here unless Hyypia was manger.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Yes because my whole raison d'etre revolves around paying two lots of too much money to indulge in a form of entertainment where the main protagonists are provided by someone I despise and I do it just so I can have a good old moan, which I love. Not because we're sleepwalking towards a division where our choices would be split between being totally effing screwed and asking our benefactor to dig even further in to his pockets just to stop the club from dying on its arse. I'm not moaning because I dislike Bloom or Burke. I'm moaning because relegation would be a financial omnishambles for this football club given the current commercial activities and business plan.

The recruiting department can have credit for Lingard, Upson, TK, Stockdale (who I maintain will come good), Orlandi, Spanish Dave and Ulloa. Happily. It means that they have to take responsibility for Obika, Lita, Rodriguez, Dobbie, O'Grady Toko and Agustien. Teixeira meanwhile would NOT be here unless Hyypia was manger.

And while we're at it Andrews was shit as well.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

This is the issue I have with your position, GB: the original passage you wrote which I have quoted above included Harley. You then removed him (presumably because you saw me point out elsewhere that he was signed before Burke arrived, and therefore it didn't suit your argument). You also list Rodriguez; this is the Rodriguez that Tony Bloom commented "..one of Oscar's main targets.." (listen for yourself, it is the video on Player from about 6 months ago called "Bloom discusses Oscar resignation", about 10mins 50secs in).

There is absolutely no evidence that Hyypia decided in isolation that he wanted Teixeira; in fact, because we know that he was never responsible for recruitment at Leverkusen, and given the comment about seeing the reports that I quoted before, there is ample reason to believe that Teixeira came up as a result of discussions between Hyypia and Burke. I'm sure that, once he had been identified as a potential target, Hyypia's Liverpool contacts proved decisive in securing the deal, but that is beside the point.

Neither you, nor I, know the exact details about how ANY of our signings come about. But given everything that has been reported about our process, I find it impossible to place the blame squarely at the feet of Burke and his cohorts. EVERY signing that has happened over the last couple of years will almost certainly have had an input from the recruitment department, and WITHOUT FAIL EVERY signing will have been green-lighted by the manager.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'm sorry but I just don't think this is workable for Sami or any other manager from the Championship upwards.

It's not like the 1980s where the accessible pool of talent was that much smaller, largely based around the UK football leagues and old division 2 clubs would rarely have any foreign players.

Today, it's a global market for players and a manager who is hands on with training and developing a squad day to day just does not have the time to be able to assess players across that whole market.

Chopping and changing managers so often, it is also useful to have someone who knows a great deal about the players from youth right up to senior. Isn't that also part of Burke's remit?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This is the issue I have with your position, GB: the original passage you wrote which I have quoted above included Harley. You then removed him (presumably because you saw me point out elsewhere that he was signed before Burke arrived, and therefore it didn't suit your argument). You also list Rodriguez; this is the Rodriguez that Tony Bloom commented "..one of Oscar's main targets.." (listen for yourself, it is the video on Player from about 6 months ago called "Bloom discusses Oscar resignation", about 10mins 50secs in).

There is absolutely no evidence that Hyypia decided in isolation that he wanted Teixeira; in fact, because we know that he was never responsible for recruitment at Leverkusen, and given the comment about seeing the reports that I quoted before, there is ample reason to believe that Teixeira came up as a result of discussions between Hyypia and Burke. I'm sure that, once he had been identified as a potential target, Hyypia's Liverpool contacts proved decisive in securing the deal, but that is beside the point.

Neither you, nor I, know the exact details about how ANY of our signings come about. But given everything that has been reported about our process, I find it impossible to place the blame squarely at the feet of Burke and his cohorts. EVERY signing that has happened over the last couple of years will almost certainly have had an input from the recruitment department, and WITHOUT FAIL EVERY signing will have been green-lighted by the manager.

Didn't we bring some of these in before Sami started but after OG had left ? (Sorry can't be arsed to check specific timing)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
This is the issue I have with your position, GB: the original passage you wrote which I have quoted above included Harley. You then removed him (presumably because you saw me point out elsewhere that he was signed before Burke arrived,

Blimey, that's quite some trawling hobby you've got there. I used the phrase "recruitment department". I didn't mention David Burke by name at all. I removed Harley because he wasn't contemporary to the others and also tidied up some spelling. Was there not a "recruitment department" before David Burke arrived? I must add creating it to his list of achievements.

There is absolutely no evidence that Hyypia decided in isolation that he wanted Teixeira;

But I didn't say that either. I said he wouldn't be here unless Hyypia was manager. That's true.

Neither do I. Read my blog https://brightononlyathome.wordpress.com/ (+14k individual hits and counting) and you'll see where I stand.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

100% agreed, as I've said I don't moan for the sake of it but you seriously have to seriously question our recruitment recently. Of course you have to take the rough with the smooth when signing players but I think it's clear to everyone that our squad has got considerably weaker this season. The playing budget has probably decreased since these financial fair play rules have come into effect recently, but we still must have one of the highest turnovers in the division and sold Ulloa for £8m. We seem to be getting mixed messages from the club, on one hand our Chairman thinks our squad should be 'challenging for the play offs' on the other Hyypia seems to keep implying we need to invest on the squad. Either way the implication is the recruiting team and Burke haven't been doing their job well.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
In principle you're right. A scouting/recruitment team is needed in modern football, but it needs to be a team complimenting the manager. Not doing the choosing FOR them.

When the team you're paying come up with Leroy Lita, John Obika and Chris O'grady as striking options(i'm unwilling to put Baldock in there), it starts to make me doubt whether the personel are correct.

I guess it depends on your budget. How many decent strikers are available on loan or for a 'cheap' fee?

Lita had pedigree, but he's clearly one of those with no drive - a cheap risk?

Obika seems to score for Britain in uncompetitive games - a cheap risk?

O'Grady - a decent sum of goals for a relegated team.

Strikers are ridiculously expensive. Are we just priced out of the market? I'm sure Burke would say 'Sign Austin, he scores'.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
He signed a 6 month loan deal in July 2012 and returned to us in January 2013 having played 16 games out of the 29 they played which is just over half 55% actually.

And you are aware he was out injured for a period of time? Not to mention probably being eased in due to lack of any sort of first team experience?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports