If ryan giggs was english

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
He's only one of the best left wingers of all time! True legend of the game.

Your missing the point.

It would've taken more than the best left winger of all time to have enabled us to win a major trophy!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
He could never have played for England. May as well ask if Pele was English would we have won a major trophy...

Funny that I've got an old England schoolboys V West Germany program at home with a young Ryan Giggs in it playing under the name Ryan Wilson. The team also contains a young Nick Barmby.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah but can he do it on a wet Wednesday night in Bolton?

I have always wondered why Bolton and Stoke do not play ALL their games on Wednesdays.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Funny that I've got an old England schoolboys V West Germany program at home with a young Ryan Giggs in it playing under the name Ryan Wilson. The team also contains a young Nick Barmby.

Yes he played for England schoolboys as he went to an English school. He has no English heritage.

Oct 25, 2003
i believe that the only other country that giggs could've represented was sierra leone where his grandfather was from

as written above, he was born in wales and has no english heritage....he moved to greater manchester when he was fairly young as his dad was a rugby player and signed for swinton (i think), which is why he was going to school in england at the age that he played for england schoolboys

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
No.

A quick scan of this thread tells me that two people went for a definitive 'yes', and one of those is a United fan. That says a lot to me...

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
You must be joking right? Giggs was twice the player McManaman ever was.

I disagree, particularly in the summer of '96 at which point Macca was around his ZENITH.

I'm not slagging off Giggs (though I have always possessed an irrational dislike of him) - I just rate McManaman higher.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
We would have had a better team with Giggs in it but no, we don't win tournaments.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Flair

England-SMcM.jpg

Attachments

• article-1160055-0060415200000258-652_468x313.jpeg
    article-1160055-0060415200000258-652_468x313.jpeg
    25.4 KB · Views: 16

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Yes he played for England schoolboys as he went to an English school. He has no English heritage.

Ryan%20Wilson%20(Giggs)%20Nabisco%20Cup%20High%20Res.jpg

I believe this shirt has three lions on it.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Depends if the strange injury Giggs always seemed to develop just before a Wales international would have occurred before an England international too.

Even then, no.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
I disagree, particularly in the summer of '96 at which point Macca was around his ZENITH.

I'm not slagging off Giggs (though I have always possessed an irrational dislike of him) - I just rate McManaman higher.

Fair play, but i think most people would say giggs was the better player. I always saw McManaman as a bit lightweight.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
No.

A quick scan of this thread tells me that two people went for a definitive 'yes', and one of those is a United fan. That says a lot to me...

The question was 'Do you think England may of won a major trophy in the last 20 years?' -- excluding the grammar, I believe England may have won with Giggs in the squad. There were a couple of very close games where we have gone out on penalties. Had we a player like Giggs in the ranks, England may have avoided a penalty shoot out (you only have to watch the goal assisted by Vieira in the FA Cup semi-final against Arsenal to know what might have happened). Even if not, Giggs is a pretty reliable penalty taker and I believe had he taken one, rather than Southgate for example, England may have progressed further.

So I'm sticking to my answer that England may have won, with Giggs in the squad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports