Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If NSC existed 31 years ago...

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
What would we have been moaning about after Gary Williams curled one past Shilts to win 1-0?

"What was Mullery thinking about today? We got lucky with a fluke strike from a shaky left back who isn't cutting it at this level. I think we need another striker as Wardy needs someone who works hard to play off"

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
What would we have been moaning about after Gary Williams curled one past Shilts to win 1-0?

"What was Mullery thinking about today? We got lucky with a fluke strike from a shaky left back who isn't cutting it at this level. I think we need another striker as Wardy needs someone who works hard to play off"

Brian Clough certainly thought it was a fluke. Or at least he stated in Match Of The Day later that night that any goal scored so late in a game was a fluke. He didn't seem to think this when Trevor Francis scored 2 mins from time in the European Cup Final. Funny that.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

No, because we had Ray Clarke. Judging from the footage, a perfectly good striking partner for Ward.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Palace would finish at the dump end of the table-

Palace just about starting an 11 match win less run vs the mighty Seagulls and all their ""plastic"" support from the Burnley game rapidly evaporating quicker than a space shuttle take off-

perhaps we would have no Palace fans on here-

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Tragic news just heard Sid vicious died last night , gonna go to cinema tonight to cheer myself up heard there's a feel good movie on called the champ starring Ricky Schroeder and Jon voight

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Found his full potential with Spider though.

I'm sure that more moves between Ward and Mellor came to fruition three years ago, but wasn't that two divisions below that in which Ward and Clarke are now paired together?

To over-egg the 1980 perspective:
Obviously, goals don't tell the whole story of the link up play between them. However, it's clear what a positive impact that Ray Clarke has had on Ward's season so far. Before Clarke made his debut in November, Ward had just two League goals to his name. Once he arrived, Ward has bagged another ten League goals and Clarke had waded in with seven so far.

If Clarke is ever sold by Mullery, probably to make way for a big, bustling striker like Bob Latchford, I'm certain Ward will struggle again for goals in the top flight....

But who really knows what the future holds?

Last edited:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I know the league level makes a difference, but the Ward/ Mellor pairing was for me the best there has been at Brighton. Both good apart, together, another level. 36 goal level.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Yes, my memory played tricks. But the point Clough made was ungracious and Francis did score with just about the last kick (was it a header?) of the half.

Yes, Clough was ungracious after the Goldstone defeat. Interesting that he was way more generous after the defeat at the City Ground, saying 'Brighton have succeeded.'

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
Tragic news just heard Sid vicious died last night , gonna go to cinema tonight to cheer myself up heard there's a feel good movie on called the champ starring Ricky Schroeder and Jon voight

Not really worried about Sid Vicious as i am mod. However I need cheering up after having something called a fondue at the Goldstone today. i mean what's that all about. Foreign muck.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
There's a machine in Shades called "Space Invaders", costs 10p a go and there's always a wait to play but I can't see that sort of thing taking off

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
4-0 at home to Arsenal. What an embarrassment!! Bamber needs to get this cheque book out and Mullery is on borrowed time. They all looked like Div 2 players, not one will be able to cut at this level. We will be lucky to get 1 point all season.

At least I got a new pair of DM's round the back of the North Stand.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
They should sack Frankie Howard - the Goldstone pitch looks like a ploughed field.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here