Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If l had a criticism....

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
How about we just keep doing what we've been doing. It seems to work reasonably well.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
It certainly makes a difference when you go into a lead. Had we scored after 10 minutes then sitting back allowing the opposition to attack isn't an issue as much as it is when you score late and try to seal the win by seeing out 20 mins or so.

As for having all eleven players back for set pieces/corners, I'm not a fan. No outlet for a quick counter, more confusion amongst defenders etc....

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
We're far from alone. And to be honest, your comment about corners and free kicks often applies to when we're level with teams too. It's just the way we play.

I think it is very harsh to criticise this team at the moment. It seems like you just want something to complain about. Not saying that is true but it does seem that way to me.
On the contrary! It's an observational comment and to be honest it's a fairly predictable. We take the lead, we make a couple of defense minded substitions we start sitting deeper and we spend the last 10 minutes with our backs against the wall whilst inviting the opposition to punt balls into our box. Just saying if we kept one or two up the pitch during their corners a) it would stop 2 or 3 of the opposition coming forward, b) it gives us an outlet to relieve the pressure on the back 5, and c) it makes the counter attack more effective when you only have to run 50 yards instead of 80...and d) it would help my nerves!!

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Top of the league and eleven points clear of third you wouldn't think there is anything to criticise but one thing that puzzles me is when we take the lead, which we generally do, why do we start to sit deeper and deeper and bring all eleven players back behind the ball for opposition corners and free kicks? That just allows the opposition to push more men forward. We've pretty well got away with it for now but occasionally that's more by luck than judgement! (re Duffy's block from Noon last night).If we kept at least one player up by the half way line, like Wardy used to do, then generally they would have to keep two players back to mark him. It also provides an outlet to relieve the pressure rather than just having the ball punted up field and inviting the next long ball back!! Just saying...!!

Get used to it,if we are promoted it will be one man up and defense,defense,defense not an entertaining display but thats the situation

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
On the contrary! It's an observational comment and to be honest it's a fairly predictable. We take the lead, we make a couple of defense minded substitions we start sitting deeper and we spend the last 10 minutes with our backs against the wall whilst inviting the opposition to punt balls into our box. Just saying if we kept one or two up the pitch during their corners a) it would stop 2 or 3 of the opposition coming forward, b) it gives us an outlet to relieve the pressure on the back 5, and c) it makes the counter attack more effective when you only have to run 50 yards instead of 80...and d) it would help my nerves!!

But my point is we do bring everyone back at corners anyway. It doesn't change our tactics when we go ahead.

We sometimes, like last night, bring on the extra midfielder but not always. Recently Hughton has been less inclined to change to 433 when we go ahead. I think last night was down to the fact that March was not really having a great influence alongside Hemed so why not sure up the midfield.

Re point D, Hughton's not there to help the nerves of fans. He's there to make sure we win games. And this season we've been exceptional. The only game so far this season where we might have tried to see it out and failed was Preston. Even then it was because we tried an attack and there was a poor pass. As long as we are winning, I'm not bothered. That is all that matters at this stage of the season.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Equally great would be Rosenior scoring the winner in front of the Reading fans, after the abuse he got all game at the Madejski (including when stretchered off).

Yes, yes, yes and then Kermogant rupture a hamstring as he frantically tried to catch Rosenoir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's the classic football tactic. Take the lead, invite the away side to start playing some football, invite the pressure knowing you have a solid back 4, excellent goalkeeper and then wallop them on the counter attack with the pace we have. It's just about making sure you don't get completely dominated and do have the out ball when you get the opportunity. If the opportunity doesn't arise then you rely on your solidity and shut up shop.

110% this

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here