Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

if Hughton was sacked.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
There are great managers out there. Just look at Dyche and Howe the last two years. These are intelligent and inspirational guys that get the very best out of their players. There's no way either team would have got near promotion without those guys in charge. It's our only chance of promotion in years to come, we're not going to buy our way to it like Leicester (they spent a lot of money in the years leading up to it) or circumnavigate ftp with a parent club like Watford. It's critical we can unearth the next guy like Bournemouth and Burnley have done. The last two guys are not up to it. Although our squad isn't exactly brilliant I still don't think we're as bad as we've been this season, it's down to the managers. Thats why I would kick Hughton out right away and try and find that inspirational leader this summer

You need to find the right fit.
You mention Burnley and Bournemouth, Eddie Howe has managed both, he did not do very well at Burnley.
Dyche was decent, but not great at Watford, then fantastic at Burnley, straight after Howe had left and gone back to Bournemouth.

I like Hughton, but I think he is not the right fit for us.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You need to find the right fit.
You mention Burnley and Bournemouth, Eddie Howe has managed both, he did not do very well at Burnley.
Dyche was decent, but not great at Watford, then fantastic at Burnley, straight after Howe had left and gone back to Bournemouth.

I like Hughton, but I think he is not the right fit for us.

Good post. Football is not simple but fans always look for simple solutions.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Good post. Football is not simple but fans always look for simple solutions.

its true.

Paul Lambert (who nobody has suggested) did great with Norwich, swashbuckling with young hungry players (as Bournemouth this year).... he goes to Villa and does same as Hughton at Norwich and here.

Stops setting up to win games with attacking intent and simply tries to not concede and nullify the other teams attacking intent.

Sherwood goes into Villa full of positivity, starts to attack and have a go and the difference is obvious.

Its the same obvious difference of approach between positive Nathan Jones and dour Hughton

Jones plays positive football, Hughton Negative football.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
its true.

Paul Lambert (who nobody has suggested) did great with Norwich, swashbuckling with young hungry players (as Bournemouth this year).... he goes to Villa and does same as Hughton at Norwich and here.

Stops setting up to win games with attacking intent and simply tries to not concede and nullify the other teams attacking intent.

Sherwood goes into Villa full of positivity, starts to attack and have a go and the difference is obvious.

Its the same obvious difference of approach between positive Nathan Jones and dour Hughton

True to an extent, but that Ipswich game a couple of months ago was a fantastic display of attacking football. Not sure what's gone wrong since, Baldocks injury didn't help, and Tex now of course, although we have been dire since well before Text was injured. So what happened in that game that was the difference ? Did the players think 'sod' you' we're going to play that way, or is there an attacking instinct in CH that is often suppressed if he doesn't think he has the resources to play that way. Maybe he thought, we have done the job, let's shut up shop for the rest if the season. Hasn't worked out, and as a spectacle, its been awful last few games. I' m on the fence

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Steve Cotterell who has been poor at most jobs has now taken Bristol City back to the Championship. Bill Shankly did nothing great before taking over at Liverpool.

I think one of our best attacking displays was at Ipswich with CMS and Baldock up front but we fell apart when CMS was substituted.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
its true.

Problem is can you see Burnley or Bournemouth being where they are if they'd signed Hyppia or Hughton as manager. I don't think they've got it in them to inspire an average team to great things. Tbh I'd have been happy if they could have inspired us only to a consistent level of average this year. Hyppia was just a complete gamble, hughton much more experienced but in the past had much better players in his teams for this division. Obviously if you have very good players you can make up for shortcomings in the manager.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Steve Cotterell who has been poor at most jobs has now taken Bristol City back to the Championship.

Steve Cotterill has not been poor at most jobs, he took Cheltenham from non league to what is now league 1, he kept Burnley in the championship after consistently having his strikers sold from under him (fit in well here!), he then got Notts County promoted from league 2, left for the poisoned chalice that was Pompey in the midst of their off field debt problems and having to sell everything. Went to Forest who were looking doomed and kept them up comfortably, only to be fired in the summer when the Al-Hawazi family came in and wanted to appoint their own manager and then Bristol city.

I'd say he's been been pretty damn good

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Problem is can you see Burnley or Bournemouth being where they are if they'd signed Hyppia or Hughton as manager. I don't think they've got it in them to inspire an average team to great things. Tbh I'd have been happy if they could have inspired us only to a consistent level of average this year. Hyppia was just a complete gamble, hughton much more experienced but in the past had much better players in his teams for this division. Obviously if you have very good players you can make up for shortcomings in the manager.

You've answered Dave what i think is Blooms main failing in manager selection.

Poyet was a gamble (fair enough) as no previous number 1 track record and he was a success. Oscar less of a gamble, Barcelona academy and just succeeded in last job with Tel Aviv and also a success given his limitiations by the club.

Next Hyyipa who had just failed in spectacular fashion in his last job before being sacked, only to also prove here he is out of his depth in management and tactically inept.

Next Hughton, who lead a premier league squad to the championship title, then did very well in this division with Brum (excellent credentials??)...... but what of his last and most recent appointment, dour non football, trying to simply not get beat and resulting in the sack, comes here and does more of the same.

Blooms two successes have been first time manager and most recent job a success, his two abject ones were both sacked from previous jobs for being abject.

One could argue that Paul Jewell at Wigan, Phil Brown at Hull, Danny Wilson at Barnsley, Iain Dowie at palace, Roy Keane at Sunderland all have the required success of guiding championship clubs to the top table, but all have since failed and none are very desirable based on their more recent failures.....

The lesson is to go for the promising and hungry rookie or the manager off the back of more recent success (and not the name, playing career, or distant experience but most recent)..... to go for someone who has just failed and then suddenly expect them to succeed here is a much bigger gamble and has so far not worked out

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Steve Cotterill has not been poor at most jobs, he took Cheltenham from non league to what is now league 1, he kept Burnley in the championship after consistently having his strikers sold from under him (fit in well here!), he then got Notts County promoted from league 2, left for the poisoned chalice that was Pompey in the midst of their off field debt problems and having to sell everything. Went to Forest who were looking doomed and kept them up comfortably, only to be fired in the summer when the Al-Hawazi family came in and wanted to appoint their own manager and then Bristol city.

I'd say he's been been pretty damn good

As maybe seems a reasonable manager for keeping clubs up or getting promotion from lower leagues but I am glad that we didnt get him as our manager. With him as manager we wouldnt be ' Premiership ready'.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He won't be sacked. If the form and results were to continue into next season, then the question could be legitimately asked again. The performances have been dire beyond belief but Hughton deserves the benefit of reshaping the team for next season. He has the most inept strikeforce since the Gillingham days as options up front. Wheres we had a choice cut of meat for a couple of seasons, (Leo) we now have the options of CMS, Best, and O'Grady - Spam, Spam & Spam. I seriously doubt any manager could do anything with that combination in their current form?

There is a huge rebuilding job needed. Whether it happens or not is of course another subject?

Agreed, it isn't Hughton's fault, he was dealt a terrible hand. The problems are far reaching and go back a long way, most notably to what was almost a fire sale of our best players, Ulloa, Barnes, Bridcutt, Buckley et-al, followed by a disastrous pre-season, when they were replaced by cheaper players, and loan signings, of a much less callibre, and a manger (Hyypia), who really wasn't up to job.

All that matters for now, is staying in this division, and then rebuilding for next season, with Hughton's choice of players.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Agreed, it isn't Hughton's fault, he was dealt a terrible hand. The problems are far reaching and go back a long way, most notably to what was almost a fire sale of our best players, Ulloa, Barnes, Bridcutt, Buckley et-al, followed by a disastrous pre-season, when they were replaced by cheaper players, and loan signings, of a much less callibre, and a manger (Hyypia), who really wasn't up to job.

All that matters for now, is staying in this division, and then rebuilding for next season, with Hughton's choice of players.

This with bells...add some injuries to the above i.e Crofts ,March,Baldock,Stephens at beginning and of course Tex recently who could have made a difference at Wigan ,these were big players for us, along with inept signings early on and a manager change half way through the season and you have got a recipe for disaster .I dont think Jose Mourinho could do a lot with this team ,and apart from CH signing Best on loan his other Kayal is a very good signing and good business by him and the club .
Regarding managers, as much as Bournemouth have done wonders and have a great team Eddie Howe has been very fortunate with players regarding injuries which is rare for a whole season in the Uk ,he is a good manager for the cherries that is without question ...but elsewhere I`m not to sure .CH needs to be given time with his own players .I lost count of the fans who said we need a good English manager to get us out of relegation one with experience of this div, and if he gets us safe he will have done his job and what Bloom set out to do imo .

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Any manager who will play TWO strikers up front

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here