If Barnes starts on Saturday...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Small point of order - it was nothing like 25,000 screaming at him ridiculously on Saturday. I've no idea how many it was, and that's the problem - it doesn't take many for a player's morale to be sapped. As I say, it was awful watching him come off, he looked a bit of a mess and went straight down the tunnel. Sad scenes for someone who has been a hardworking, decent player for us for nearly 3 years now.

Yeah I know, I was making a general point rather than specifically talking about Barnes and Brighton.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Personally, I think a small section and I mean a small section, of our fans are an utter disgrace. And this is not specifically in relation to Barnes. I have about 6 people who sit around me in WSL that spend 90 minutes giving dogs abuse to our own players irrespective of how we're playing with the only break being when we score.

As I said in another post, if Harley if playing, he's target no.1; if Barnes is playing, he's target no. 2; CMS, no.3; Greer, no.4; Kuszczak, no.5 it seems. And essentially its a pecking order. So if Barnes plays but Harley doesn't (which is likely), Barnes gets hammered for 90 minutes irrespective of performance and the rest get let off. If Harley and Barnes aren't playing, CMS gets the abuse etc etc...

This is from guys in their late 50's and 60's. Two of them, Statler and Waldorf as I call them, are the worst though, no joy, just endless criticism. We don't get on because I disagree with their endless berating of our players and they don't agree with my defence of them. Probably because I feel the need to over-defend our players now-and-then to get my point across.

Right, rant over. On to Saturday. Personally I think we'll be back to the team that beat Bolton with Bridge in for Painter...

Completely agree. There is a section of our fan base and I use the word fan loosely that can't wait to jump on a player even seem to delight in it.

From what I saw last night Dobbie was not as good as Barnes in that left sided role, and of course neither of them are left sided midfield players, but both are trying to do a specific job for the team, and for some reason there is a section of fans that cannot see that.

Everyone has an off day, and if a player messes up (like Saturday when Barnes missed the pen) it is obviously not on purpose. I do think Barnes needs a rest from taking penalties, but he certainly shouldn't be slated for stepping up to take it.

I would like to see someone like Bruno take the next one.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
...is there any danger of him being BACKED by our support, and not booed? He was absolute turd on Saturday of course, but was absolutely slaughtered for it. So much so, that he looked like a broken man when he was taken off - I really felt for him.

In fact, to the many many complete mongs who scream dogs abuse at players when they play shit (as opposed to groaning or laughing at the ineptitude) need to realise that when a player is having a shit game, they tend to know about it themselves. They don't need numpties abusing them for it.

Totally agree. There was a kid in front of me who booed when Barnes was named as one of the subs last night! He was the only one around him to be fair, and the people around him gave him the same amazed stare that I did. Barnes offers a great deal, but obviously didn't have the best game on Saturday. But as has been pointed out, so did many others who don't get flamed for it. Last night, Bridcutt gave the ball away a good few times, but was still many people's Man of the Match.

I don't see why people have to have a hate figure player within the team. If anyone can explain this, I'm all ears...

Barnes was also one of the better players at Selhurst last year AND scored a penalty!

That's one thing that WON'T be happening on Saturday... :lol:

Totally agree. There was a kid in front of me who booed when Barnes was named as one of the subs last night! He was the only one around him to be fair, and the people around him gave him the same amazed stare that I did. Barnes offers a great deal, but obviously didn't have the best game on Saturday. But as has been pointed out, so did many others who don't get flamed for it. Last night, Bridcutt gave the ball away a good few times, but was still many people's Man of the Match.

I don't see why people have to have a hate figure player within the team. If anyone can explain this, I'm all ears...

That's one thing that WON'T be happening on Saturday... :lol:

i heard quite a few cheer when he was named as sub???

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
the many many complete mongs who scream dogs abuse at players when they play shit (as opposed to groaning or laughing at the ineptitude)

this in spades. If you can't do that I think you've got a bit of a problem really not the player.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
There is an abosolute mong in the North Stand who fecking has a go at anyone and everyone. There was one last night that was so f'ing comical I thought those around me were going to punch his four eyes in.

Mid way through the 2nd half, Bridcutt, yes that player who happens to be one of the best players at the club was running through the middle with acres of space in front of him with a nice simple pass to put Mr Buckley in for a certain third goal had the temerity (sp?) to accidently kick the all to far in front of him and we lost possession. This utter utter mong then went mad at him calling him all the names under the sun in utter condemnation at his lack of quality. Those around us rounded on him like a pack of Wolves and told him and his illterate son to shut the f*** up.

So unfortunately they are always around us but not to tar us all with the same brush.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Probably not. And you're absolutely right. When I'm having a bad day at work, I know I'm having a bad day at work. And when I've got people moaning at me that I'm having a bad day it work, it really doesn't help. And I only have a maximum of about 4 people moaning at me. Imagine what it's like with 25,000. The only thing I really think it is fair to give your own players proper stick for is a lack of effort, and nobody could accuse Barnes of that.

I would have thought he'll be back for Palace, we need to be a solid unit going there, and he is exactly the kind of player we need. Wouldn't surprise me if he scores and important penalty, again.

I agree. I think Barnes is better than Dobbie at what he is asked to do. Macca much better than Hoskins as well. It might be much better if all the shots/headers that hit the woodwork went in.

Only one player ever, have I have felt like booing: Kitson.

Barnes is frustrating to watch though. PS: I wouldn't play Barnes or Dobbie at the start against Palace. I would play an extra midfielder.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
...is there any danger of him being BACKED by our support, and not booed? He was absolute turd on Saturday of course, but was absolutely slaughtered for it. So much so, that he looked like a broken man when he was taken off - I really felt for him.

In fact, to the many many complete mongs who scream dogs abuse at players when they play shit (as opposed to groaning or laughing at the ineptitude) need to realise that when a player is having a shit game, they tend to know about it themselves. They don't need numpties abusing them for it.
If all of our supporters were as wise as you, we'd get more points. If the manager picks a player, how is us getting on their back going to improve their performance, and help us win? Idiots.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I hope he comes back in. He does a lot defensively for the team that some fans don't seem to realise.
There were a few Boos in North stand when his name was read out last night, which was shocking.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
We're away to the team in second place, and who have probably the most coveted attacking player in the division. And you don't want us to be defensive?

I want to us to play our normal game, we have a solid defence, and we are as attacking as Palace with as good players. Why do we need to change so much because they have Messi...sorry Zaha.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Do you know what? It seems to me that there are some people who should just surrender there season ticket ( there is, as I understand, a waiting list ) 'cos the very last thing any of our players want /need is "dog's " abuse from a smallish minority of our "fans" who ,it seems, just have to have some sort of whipping boy. If you can't see the bigger picture as to what Ashley Barnes does for the team then get yourself a rug weaving kit and stay away for f%cks sake. He has been played out of position for some time now,provides defensive tackling back, has ,I believe scored 44 goals in 100 appearances and is not afraid to step up for a penalty. OK he has missed a few, he knows he shouldn't but no-one is immune to that. Gus knows why he is one of the first on the team sheet every week, we do not. Get behind the team, get of Ash's back and trust in Gus. Of course if those who still doubt Gus's choice in our Ash, maybe take it up with him.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I want to us to play our normal game, we have a solid defence, and we are as attacking as Palace with as good players. Why do we need to change so much because they have Messi...sorry Zaha.

We have to change because if Painter is at LB then Palace will use Zaha as their out ball all match as he will just push it past him and outpace him. I like Painter, he is much maligned for very little reason, but he is always going to struggle against pace and the fall over easily billion pound man has that in abundance.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
i heard quite a few cheer when he was named as sub???

I am honoured to be removed from your ignore list, Rev ???

I, too, heard many fans cheer his name – I was merely highlighting someone that DIDN'T, and asking why some people choose certain players to continuously have a go at.

Several posts since the game last night seem to have highlighted NSC at its best: Demands for Barnes to be dropped after his performance on Saturday seem to have quickly been replaced by calls for the reinstatement of this "shit/League 2 standard/awful/crap/useless/woeful/wasteful/stupid" player. And this comes after we won a game 2-0... Yes, I understand Palace will be a different proposition altogether, but really, what's all that about?

Is it a result of people getting calming down after a slight overreaction, or are fans really never happy?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I trust Gus and his team to manage this situation, and I'm sure Barnes will be fine. Anyway - before everyone gets the violins out - he's in a better place than the likes of Harley (career in limbo) or Spanish Dave (miles from home, barely a kick for the first team).

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

No he didnt!! - lol what utter garb

He was smiling when he came off. I was right there!

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
We have to change because if Painter is at LB then Palace will use Zaha as their out ball all match as he will just push it past him and outpace him. I like Painter, he is much maligned for very little reason, but he is always going to struggle against pace and the fall over easily billion pound man has that in abundance.

So go back to my original point, you might as well as have Calderon in there as opposed to Barnes if we are that worred about him, he will defend better and gets forward like barnes does.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports