If Ashley Barnes leaves how will he be remembered?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
I'm in the camp that never took to him, and unfortunately became hyper-critical of ALL his performances and focussed on all the misses, the bad control, the stupid yellow cards and never focussed on the good stuff he did (he was brilliant on Saturday against Reading by the way)

I won't miss him at all

Aug 23, 2011
Secondly, that business head has to balance what they will lose from the playing side as well as the finance. Would you rather keep a player who provides goals (on course for 10) assists (on course for 7) and all round game play that benefits the team to play a part in getting us to the promised land with the reward of 100+m but miss out on 750k - 1m for a player, or take 1m now and miss out on the goals, assists, defensive work that leads to us finishing 7th or lower?

Also how much more would it cost to sign a player now with the January premium to replace him rather than just keep him until the summer? Or if we get a loan in instead no doubt he'd be on higher wages than Barnes so more cost again reducing the "profit"

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I'm in the camp that never took to him, and unfortunately became hyper-critical of ALL his performances and focussed on all the misses, the bad control, the stupid yellow cards and never focussed on the good stuff he did (he was brilliant on Saturday against Reading by the way)

I won't miss him at all

My thoughts exactly......there just wasn't enough of the good stuff for me.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

I won't miss him at all

That's not a critique - that's an admission of prejudice.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As a star in his own way.

Scored a decent haul of goals, and if we can sell him for a good profit we should be happy.

But in all honesty, I'll remember him most for his immortal quote about winning 3 points in the Cup vs Wrexham :lolol:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I won't miss him at all

See, I have more respect for, and less issues with, people who take that attitude, than those who claim to be "realistic" or "fair" who then dismiss his positive contributions and focus only on his bad ones.

I can accept not taking to a player, and being open about your bias before slating someone puts it in an honest context. Claiming neutrality, then not giving appropriate credit for positive contributions is what annoys me most about the Barnes debates.

Also how much more would it cost to sign a player now with the January premium to replace him rather than just keep him until the summer? Or if we get a loan in instead no doubt he'd be on higher wages than Barnes so more cost again reducing the "profit"

Quite. Those (and my previously mentioned) factors (and probably others we've not thought of) are often overlooked in the discussion about selling any player in January rather than losing them for free in the summer.

Aug 23, 2011
Well let's just say those figures being thrown about are correct. Selling Barnes brings in £1m from Burnley and saves £2.5k per week until his contract expires on June 30th, which is £60,000. So if the transfer fee for another striker plus his wages for the next six months is less than £1,060,000 we will be in profit, plus we won't have to pay out for a striker in the summer.

It might just be one of those cases where the sums show it is the right decision for all parties if he moves on.

True, i'm not saying the numbers won't work, i'm just skeptical that we can get someone equivalent or better for the same or similar amount. Added to the fact that many players don't hit the ground running and take a bedding in period

Winders

Dec 19, 2013
I'll remember him as a hard working forward, who gives 100% every game but he's not going to be good enough for where we want to be.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
One of my favourite Albion players of the last 10 years. 100% effort every time he plays, often with jeers and abuse directed at him until recently.

A player who has improved massively year on year, a sad loss, he will do well wherever he goes. Might even get to be a crowd favourite.

Totally agree. Integral part of the team that one us promotion.

He's a 10-15 goal a season championship player who contributes elsewhere as well, will be really sad if he goes. I only hope the replacements are as good or better and has as many years left in him as Barnes.

I have always wanted to Ulloa and Barnes in a front two, with Ulloa the lead and Barnes the second striker.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
The modern day Robert Codner

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A great servant to the club. An honest pro. A key element in our rise from League 1 obscurity to Championship Play-Off contention. A great value signing. A tripper of referees.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I don't think I have ever seen such an over reaction about losing a very average player. Yes he had good games, but that is what he is suppose to do. As a striker he couldn't finish a sandwich. But yes he did put a shift in, but then that is what I expect of our players.. I can't for the life of me think why Burnley would want him?. One can only assume they are cashing in on Ings, before the transfer window closes. If not, I can't see him even getting a game. I hope that is the case because that means Burnley will start to slide down the table.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
As a star in his own way.

Scored a decent haul of goals, and if we can sell him for a good profit we should be happy.

But in all honesty, I'll remember him most for his immortal quote about winning 3 points in the Cup vs Wrexham :lolol:

Indeed, a decent servant for our club. Spot on with the 3 points cup gaff. That was box office. I wonder whether Burnley will get through to the next round of the cup when we play them in a few weeks time? :lolol:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Very good player at this level, who will prove difficult to replace.

His movement in terms of finding space is first class.
Defensively probably best forward we've had for years. (Murray was also good defensively at set-pieces, but rarely chased back for the team).
Delivery from out wide was very good.
Flexibility I terms of playing out of position.
Scored a number of goals as well.

His finishing wasn't always the best and temperament at times was poor, but some of that is borne out of pure desire to win for our club as well as a bit of the 'red mist'.

The other general criticism was his touch, was has actually improved since Withdean and continues to get better.

Potentially this is a big loss, depending on what he gets replaced with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports