Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Iconic gigs you were at (with decent footage if you post a youtuby)

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Nirvana, Reading Festival 1992

Skid Row, Wembley Stadium 1991 - don't know if it was "iconic" but it was supporting Guns n Roses and was in the news a fair amount at the time as a "collapse of civilisation" kind of story because of the foul language (Skid Row got banned from playing Wembley ever again I believe)

Pink Floyd at Live 8 - the last time they played together:

Then the no footage ones that might only be iconic for me -

Meltdown Festival in London in 2005, Patti Smith, Beth Orton, Sinead O’Connor, Kristin Hersh, Yoko Ono and Tori Amos on stage together singing lullabies and protest songs. Amazing.

Radiohead in a London pub in, I think, 1991 or 1992 - before Pablo Honey, maybe 10 of us there, and an energy that they were a bit different from a lot of the unheard of indie bands we were seeing in those days. A lot used to be made of the time they played Sussex Uni and 2 people and a dog were all that turned up and this was a similar time period to that.

Mid/late 90s I'm sure I saw Sigur Ros play in an old church in London but can't find any mention of it anywhere so maybe it was some other Scandinavian, very similar sounding band. Blew everyone away though whoever they were.

boik

Don't enjoy stadium gigs so I won't be able to impress anyone. I was however at a secret Cure gig at the Marquee which was apparently Simon Gallups audition. Probably the only time anyone has seen members of the Cure covering Gary Glitter!

edit: Just found this on youtube. Isn't the internet wonderful!

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Skid Row, Wembley Stadium 1991 - don't know if it was "iconic" but it was supporting Guns n Roses and was in the news a fair amount at the time as a "collapse of civilisation" kind of story because of the foul language (Skid Row got banned from playing Wembley ever again I believe)

Pink Floyd at Live 8 - the last time they played together:

Then the no footage ones that might only be iconic for me -

Meltdown Festival in London in 2005, Patti Smith, Beth Orton, Sinead O’Connor, Kristin Hersh, Yoko Ono and Tori Amos on stage together singing lullabies and protest songs. Amazing.

Radiohead in a London pub in, I think, 1991 or 1992 - before Pablo Honey, maybe 10 of us there, and an energy that they were a bit different from a lot of the unheard of indie bands we were seeing in those days. A lot used to be made of the time they played Sussex Uni and 2 people and a dog were all that turned up and this was a similar time period to that.

Mid/late 90s I'm sure I saw Sigur Ros play in an old church in London but can't find any mention of it anywhere so maybe it was some other Scandinavian, very similar sounding band. Blew everyone away though whoever they were.
Ia was at that GnR gig. Skid Row kinda passed me by. Nine Inch Nails and GnR were great though.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
[
Iconic gigs
Freddie Mercury Aids Awareness
Live Aid
Queen Knebworth 86
Jam's last gig 82
First Two Tone Tour date 1979
Big 4 Knebworth 2011
Sabbath Reunion Birmingham 97
Sabbaths last gig Birmingham 2017
Guns N Roses Monsters of Rock 88
Metallica 'Where's Lars' gig 2004
Pink Floyd The Wall 1980
Sex Pistols Filthy Lucre
Buzzcocks ' riot gig' 78
Motorhead Port Vale 81
Rolling Stones Brixton Academy 94
The Damned ' Night of a Thousand Vampires ' 2019

Off the top of my head :rock:

A great theatre show, I really enjoyed although one of my fangs stayed stuck for two days…..the film is just being released.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I was at the aforementioned 1991 Guns'N Roses Wembley concert, if I remember correctly some of the live footage for the You Could Be Mine video was taken from the concert, I think it was the 'Use Your Illusion' tour.

I saw Bowie at The Dome in 1973, this video was recorded at The Hammersmith Odeon from the same tour, this was exactly how he opened the concert at The Dome.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Good points.

I remember the day well. I'd been to the previous three events so was familiar with the status of the acts and the numbers which would typically turn up early in the day; there was a feeling of excitement and a huge swell in numbers just before GnR came on. We were about half way back but still got a bit squashed and some were losing their footing, I did not realise how serious it had been down the front until I got home.

I had been going since '81, so knew the ropes. The first we realised it was going to busy early was when the M1 was backed up for miles. I always turn off at junction 23 to avoid the traffic and drive through the villages (still do). That was backed up too. so we dumped the card about 3 miles away and yomped across fields. Previous MORs had averaged 60, 000. There were 120,000 there that day. The combination of Maiden's first MOR and GnR suddenly rising from a Marquee Club band when they were added to the bill, to a gargantuan band everyone had to see on the day was clearly the reason for the bump in attendance.
In hindsight, and in view of their sudden popularity, the organisers should have moved them up the bill from 2nd on the day, to 3rd on the bill before Kiss.
My memory of finding out about the tragic events of that day, was after Maiden had left the stage, they played 'Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life' and an announcement came over the tannoy that 2 lads had fallen at 2.30 that afternoon, they were taken to Derby Infirmary and subsequently had died.
I had never heard that song after a Maiden set before, or maybe I had never bothered to register it. But it was so poignant when being played over that particular message.
Maiden played Donington this year,(as did Megadeth and Kiss) and 'Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life' is now played regularly after they leave the stage.
Being at the same venue and hearing that song again did put those two lads in my thoughts again, even now.

PFJ

Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
[

A great theatre show, I really enjoyed although one of my fangs stayed stuck for two days…..the film is just being released.

I know. :thumbsup:Pre ordered the blu ray and vinyl on Saturday. Hoping to see myself dressed up as a vampire to try and break the 'most vampires in one place' record. I probably wont make it, as my vampire fancy dress was a plastic cape and fangs from Tesco. But there were serious Goth/Vampire types there who had had their teeth dentally altered.
Great gig though. I've seen The Damned pretty much from the beginning, including when they became The Doomed with Lemmy.
That gig was a serious event. They pulled out all the stops with the back drops and Vanian's transformation from Bela Lugosi to Max Schrek.
Off to see the reunion gig this year with Brian James and Rat Scabies back in the fold for two nights only.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Would 'of' posted footage of The Clash at the RAR gig at Victoria Park, Hackney, except most of the Youtube footage seems to feature Jimmy Shitferbrains Pursey gatecrashing 'White Riot'. Strange, that... ???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
[MENTION=16722]PFJ[/MENTION], [MENTION=1334]fork me[/MENTION]

They were fun times. My first was '85 and my last was '88...I had just turned 17 when I went to my first. Other incidents I remember was a firework/rocket being fired at Motorhead, a rather non-PC stage show from WASP and Rick Allan's first proper gig since he lost his arm. I went to uni in '88 and the perfect storm of me being exposed to many more forms of music, rock and metal becoming less popular and the suspension of MoR for a couple of years meant '88 was my last.

As an aside, the mention of Youtube in the title of this thread is a real contrast to the mid to late 80s. Watching music was a combination of buying VHS videos and scouring the TV and Radio times for the odd concert which would be randomly broadcast at some unsociable hour.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Probably the best dance music festival line up ever (though we also saw John Peel and Eddie Izzard). Tribal Gathering in Luton Hoo in 97. Still the best night out I've ever had. The future Mrs GB was also there but we managed to miss each other for the vast majority of what was an incredible evening. Kraftwerk was mega busy and Peel nearly cleared a tent. I can vaguely remember seeing Faithless, Kraftwerk,Jeff Mills, Tony De Vit, Weatherall, Orbital and Daft Punk (who were incredible) as well as getting lost a lot.

Going to search for some youtubies but likely there is no footage unless any of the Universe crew got video cameras out at any point. But check this line up.....

TG.JPG

EDIT - there's a full on DOCUMENTARY.

PFJ

Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
[MENTION=16722]PFJ[/MENTION], [MENTION=1334]fork me[/MENTION]

They were fun times. My first was '85 and my last was '88...I had just turned 17 when I went to my first. Other incidents I remember was a firework/rocket being fired at Motorhead, a rather non-PC stage show from WASP and Rick Allan's first proper gig since he lost his arm. I went to uni in '88 and the perfect storm of me being exposed to many more forms of music, rock and metal becoming less popular and the suspension of MoR for a couple of years meant '88 was my last.

As an aside, the mention of Youtube in the title of this thread is a real contrast to the mid to late 80s. Watching music was a combination of buying VHS videos and scouring the TV and Radio times for the odd concert which would be randomly broadcast at some unsociable hour.

Fun times indeed. I managed to last the course of MoR until it disolved into' Escape From The Studio' 95.
I go to Download now, but I am thinking next year being the 20th anniversary 4 day extravaganza may be my last. I will be 62 after all.:) ....... However, I also go to Bloodstock, a much heavier and smaller festival. Absolutely no plans to give that up.
I will go to that (and Rebellion) until one of us dies. :lolol:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

I was at that one, and at their low on the bill Reading Festival show the previous year. My mate was into all of the Sub-Pop stuff and made me leave the tent and go and see them. I'd only heard Sliver up to that point, but I was impressed enough to also go to this later in the year, which just happens to have been the gig from the Nevermind tour that was recorded for Japanese TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOMOxeXu2hE

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here