Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Iconic gigs you were at (with decent footage if you post a youtuby)

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
This thread has got me thinking about gigs that were anything but iconic. Anyone else go and see The Mission in Brighton in around 1995 or 1996? Can't remember the venue, possibly the Dome. There were so few people there - can't have been more than 30 in whatever big space it was - that they abandoned the planned set and just played requests shouted from the crowd. As I'd been a bit gothy as a teenager but never seen them I'd gone for nostalgia and enjoyed it, but I'd imagine it must have been a bit of a downer for them, a crowd barely even 2-deep in front of most of the stage and the rest empty. Standing outside beforehand some guy who was about 7 foot tall was asking if anyone had a spare ticket and the roadies smoking by the door told him he wouldn't need one and to go and get his mates too because otherwise it'd be empty(!)

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
In the studio for The Jam's debut appearance on TOTP (that's me and bruv bouncing around at various points in the vid :bounce: :bounce:)

Superb ... Weller playing this Rickenbacker by the looks of it (one of my photos from 'About The Young Idea' exhibition at Somerset House in 2015).

P1010451.jpeg

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Genesis reunion gig at Milton Keynes Bowl in 1982. The weather was atrocious, the toilets indescribable, and the sound quality wasn't great.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Genesis reunion gig at Milton Keynes Bowl in 1982. The weather was atrocious, the toilets indescribable, and the sound quality wasn't great.

What a magnificent day that was. I must have been soaked to the skin but don’t remember if I was or not as it wasn’t important.
Talk Talk got everything thrown at them by the crowd but still put on a good show. I don’t remember the Blues Band at all. John Martyn was excellent and we saw him again the following week at the Dome.
To see Gabriel performing with Genesis was something I thought I’d never see and am so pleased that they gave us that one last gig together. The whole crowd seemed to sing along to every song played.
Getting out of the car park seemed to take forever!

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Not sure this video counts as decent footage audio wise, but when I first stumbled across it on YT, was amazed that I could see an event I attended as a 17 year old all over again.
Nirvana were halfway down the bill but the main reason I had gone along. Keen to see Dinosaur Jr. too.
Weather was pretty rubbish and it was all a bit underwhelming until Nirvana came on. This was a month before Nevermind came out and they played all these new amazing songs and blew everyone away. Then Kurt did his drum kit surfing. Great show.
Although to be honest I probably enjoyed the rave in Oxford I went to the next day even more. Great weekend.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Led Zeppelin Knebworth 1979, simply wonderful, apart from 6 hours to get out of car park. When they played Kashmir, you could feel the noise through the ground, an amazing concert and think their last one in this country with John Bonham.

https://youtu.be/hW_WLxseq0o

The Who Charlton 1976, so hot it was uncomfortable, but boy the Who were loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Led Zeppelin Knebworth 1979, simply wonderful, apart from 6 hours to get out of car park. When they played Kashmir, you could feel the noise through the ground, an amazing concert and think their last one in this country with John Bonham.

https://youtu.be/hW_WLxseq0o

The Who Charlton 1976, so hot it was uncomfortable, but boy the Who were loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A relative has always told me he saw the Who and Eric Clapton at a venue in Hassocks

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
A relative has always told me he saw the Who and Eric Clapton at a venue in Hassocks

I’ve often heard that all the greats played the Hassocks Hotel back in the 60s and 70s.

Alternatively, the Half Moon in Plumpton certainly had some great bands play there in that era, too.

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
The Downs Hotel , now housing near the shops in Keymer.
Plumpton was probably the festivals at the racecourse, and one of Led Zeppilin lived near the Half Moon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here