Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icmeler

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Got to do some business in Izmir and then going to use a friend's villa in Icmeler for a week.

Never been to Turkey at all so any NSC insider knowledge on do's and dont's will be appreciated. Hiring a car for the drive down from Izmir so fairly flexible if there is anywhere reasonably nearby to visit.

burstead

Not a Registered User
Jul 24, 2010
Icmeler is nice, quite laid back. If you want some nightlife you can drive into Marmaris in 10 mins.
My favourite place around there is Akyaka a.k.a Gokova, 20-30 min drive from Icmeler, beautiful beach under the pine mountains.

do's and don'ts, can't think of anything, the people are very european in attitude.
oh yeah, if you have a turkish bath, don't forget to hoist your nuts up so they can rinse under there for you.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There's a maHOOsive market there, I know that.
Nice beach as well, in a cove.

I saw Safeway there once.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Went to Turkey in the late 80's, back-packing around that area, stayed in Marmaris, Fethiye, Bodrum and Turunc. Have to say that I loved it there, as pointed out the people were very friendly, food was excellent (freshly baked bread, honey, cheese and olives makes a fantastic breakfast)...went to a beach called Oludeniz, just south of Fethiye, the view of the beach as you come down from the hills is an image that will live with me forever.

Think I am due a return visit to Turkey!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I'm going to Turkey in 3 weeks time. My 5th visit there. Great place.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Oh and since you are up that way go to Ephesus. You will enjoy it.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Anywhere in Turkey is nice, hospitable welcome and when we last visited, the local restaurant owner invited us to visit his parents up in the mountains with my family and his. My first thoughts were yeah, right. but 8am prompt the next morning he was at hotel reception. On arrival in their village we were treated like royalty, shown around the local's homes and showered with gifts and the best food ever. A memory I will certainly take to my grave and a lesson I learnt from the children is that there is no language barrier, playing is playing !!

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
Went to Icmeler for a day last year when stayed in Marmaris. Much more relaxed than Marmaris, but only 10 mins away on bus if you want something more vibrant.

Nice place, everyone very welcoming. You will be hassled to go on boat tours etc, but that's how it is there.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
As already said, give Ephesus a visit. Fantastic ruins. The ruined Library is world famous. Also Kusadasi not to far.

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
Went to Turkey in the late 80's, back-packing around that area, stayed in Marmaris, Fethiye, Bodrum and Turunc. Have to say that I loved it there, as pointed out the people were very friendly, food was excellent (freshly baked bread, honey, cheese and olives makes a fantastic breakfast)...went to a beach called Oludeniz, just south of Fethiye, the view of the beach as you come down from the hills is an image that will live with me forever.

Think I am due a return visit to Turkey!

I went to Olu Deniz last year and it was so beautiful, definitely recommend it!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I can remember the second visit to Marmaris there was a fantastic curry house there, the guy came from Bradford famous for its curries.
worth a visit you can't miss it its huge

Andy of Didim

Didim Seagull
Mar 29, 2010
Altinkum Turkey
Izmir is great i am sure Sully Cant shoot will be in touch when he sees your post shame you wasnt out for the Seagulls over Turkey meet up earlier in the year there is so much to see and visit on the journey down to Icmeler if you do decide to stop over on route i am in Altinkum the home of the temple of Apollo & Theater of Miletus we are about 2 hours away from Izmir PM me if you want any more info or help

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
And here I am Andy! ;) Have pmed. If you need anythign let me know.

Andy of Didim

Didim Seagull
Mar 29, 2010
Altinkum Turkey
I have had a lot out here already this season wearing the stripes with pride and i am sure educating the locals in football below the Premirship

Any Albion fans over this year in Altinkum do look me up

windowlicker

Aug 22, 2009
got back from oludeniz 2 days ago and turkey is one of the best countries ive ever been to. people are really friendly and the scenery is probably some of the best that you could see without going on a long haul flight.

something to watch out for though if hiring a car is the motorcyclists. i drove back to my hotel from dalyan as it was starting to get dark and going round a sharp bend some nutter on a scooter missed me by about 2 foot because he had his headlights switched off, plus he had dark clothing on and no crash helmet.

Andy of Didim

Didim Seagull
Mar 29, 2010
Altinkum Turkey
got back from oludeniz 2 days ago and turkey is one of the best countries ive ever been to. people are really friendly and the scenery is probably some of the best that you could see without going on a long haul flight.

something to watch out for though if hiring a car is the motorcyclists. i drove back to my hotel from dalyan as it was starting to get dark and going round a sharp bend some nutter on a scooter missed me by about 2 foot because he had his headlights switched off, plus he had dark clothing on and no crash helmet.

That sounds about right for over here i am sure you missed the fact that he was on his mobile at the time and smoking a fag in Altinkum when this happens his mate on the back usually steers to avoid a accident

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Icemeler is nice but try Turunc a small village the next bay round. Sea water is much cleaner and probably £1 in a Dolmus

Going to Marmaris for around the 7th time in August.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here