Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ian Chapman vs Bruno

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Possibly more for the JCL’s and the younger fans (although we were all once JCL’s by the very nature of watching the club for the first time)

Ian Russell Chapman born 31/5/70 in Brighton General Hospital.

As a schoolboy selected to go to the FA’s School of Excellence and at 16 in Feb 87 became the first graduate to play in the Football League and the youngest ever Brighton debutant.

281 appearances 14 goals, not forgetting The Saint and Greavsie Own Goal of the Season vs Leeds in 1990 (sorry Chappers😂)

After discovering he’d been released by the Albion in 1996 after hearing it on the Southern FM 11am news ( yes we really did treat staff that badly back then) he had two offers on the table, one from Gillingham and a better one from Crystal Palace.

He opted for the Gills telling me at the Gulls Eye dinner in 1997, “I’m a Woodingdean boy, I’d have to look at myself in the mirror every morning”

So might say misplaced loyalty, but a degree of loyalty to a club whose then regime had treated him like a dog.

So if we are looking for Albion legends on here, maybe look a little bit closer to home?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Good player, good lad and local hero. I don’t think Chappers would be looking for legendary status: too nice a guy for that.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Possibly more for the JCL’s and the younger fans (although we were all once JCL’s by the very nature of watching the club for the first time)

Ian Russell Chapman born 31/5/70 in Brighton General Hospital.

As a schoolboy selected to go to the FA’s School of Excellence and at 16 in Feb 87 became the first graduate to play in the Football League and the youngest ever Brighton debutant.

281 appearances 14 goals, not forgetting The Saint and Greavsie Own Goal of the Season vs Leeds in 1990 (sorry Chappers😂)

After discovering he’d been released by the Albion in 1996 after hearing it on the Southern FM 11am news ( yes we really did treat staff that badly back then) he had two offers on the table, one from Gillingham and a better one from Crystal Palace.

He opted for the Gills telling me at the Gulls Eye dinner in 1997, “I’m a Woodingdean boy, I’d have to look at myself in the mirror every morning”

So might say misplaced loyalty, but a degree of loyalty to a club whose then regime had treated him like a dog.

So if we are looking for Albion legends on here, maybe look a little bit closer to home?

Well as has been said, it depends how we classify the word legend really l guess.

I would also say, that maybe football, and society in general, has changed a great deal in the last quarter of a century, many people had things called morals back then.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
...and exited his managerial job at Burgess Hill Town after an 8-0 hammering at Bognor (again, did the 'decent thing')

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Chappers a terrific left back for us. Wholehearted and committed.

To say Bruno had more subtlety about his game is an understatement!

But on the other hand I’d take Chapmans pile driver equaliser against Bournemouth over any goal Bruno scored for us.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well possibly when it comes to intense football rivalry not a lot. You need to be here to really feel it, and understand it l think.

[MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION]'s comment made perfect sense. I don't think he was inviting people to analyse what he does or doesn't know :shrug:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Oh look – yet another divisive 'choose your side' thread on NSC. Just what the board needs right now!

Last edited:

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Chapman is an Albion legend. I think I saw his debut at Birmingham. However, Bruno was a phenomenal player and is also an Albion legend. I assume, like Potter he was offered an opportunity to not only coach one of the top teams in the world, but also quadruple his salary. To an extent Potter considered the opportunity for his coaching team to all massively increase their incomes and he had that responsibility with his decision to go. Bruno has not left us for Palace and hard as his leaving is (my youngest daughter was most upset by this and not Potter) he will remain an Albion legend in my heart as will Chapman.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Good point OP. It depends what legend means in the context of football. I’m not sure I know. Chapman is a fan. Bruno was an employee so can’t ever really compete on that front. Fantastic player and nice guy though. Maybe the answer is both but in different ways.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Oh look –*yet another divisive 'choose your side' thread on NSC. Just what the board needs right now!

Greg, apologies if you feel that way,it came to me in bed this morning.

The attack on the restaurant in Hove was petty and uncalled for, but for the last few years we've had this narrative that Bruno was an Albion legend, lovely bloke I grant you met him when we sponsored the Palace matchball in 2017 and more recently at the Michael Buble concert, but clearly his behaviour, albeit it partly justified, as he's an employee and his first loyalty is to his family and his bank balance, tells me that he clearly is not an 'Albion Legend'.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Greg, apologies if you feel that way,it came to me in bed this morning.

The attack on the restaurant in Hove was petty and uncalled for, but for the last few years we've had this narrative that Bruno was an Albion legend, lovely bloke I grant you met him when we sponsored the Palace matchball in 2017 and more recently at the Michael Buble concert, but clearly his behaviour, albeit it partly justified, as he's an employee and his first loyalty is to his family and his bank balance, tells me that he clearly is not an 'Albion Legend'.

I largely agree (and I love Bruno), but as time wears on we’re likely to remember him more fondly.

It’s the Once a seagull……. That grates with me.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Murray did quite readily, albeit slightly different circumstances

Partly my point, Glenn left because the Albion/Poyet* wouldn't pay him, allegedly £15,000 a week, but Palace at that time were prepared to.

The modern day footballer is an employee, the same as a train driver, bin man or a nurse.

* Yet Poyet was prepared to pay CMS the same amount!

The have a duty to their families to earn the best living they can.

26 years ago, it was slighlty different in Chappers era,

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
[MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION]'s comment made perfect sense. I don't think he was inviting people to analyse what he does or doesn't know :shrug:

I weasn't "analysing" anything either, merely pointing out that to understand the Brighton/Palarse rivallry, or any other great footballing derbies in this country, Liverpool/Everton, Rangers/Celtic etc. etc. it helps to be here and to actually live the intensity of it. Nothing more than that.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I weasn't "analysing" anything either, merely pointing out that to understand the Brighton/Palarse rivallry, or any other great footballing derbies in this country, Liverpool/Everton, Rangers/Celtic etc. etc. it helps to be here and to actually live the intensity of it. Nothing more than that.

Yeah, and to know whether I understand rivalries or not you have to live the intensity of the rivalries over here. :shrug:

Goes both ways.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here