Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Iain Duncan Smith resigns

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
George Osborne is my constituency MP and spectacularly inept, but they could stick a blue rosette on the dug up corpse of Jimmy Savile here and he'd still get in.

IDS is however my least favourite MP of all time (even worse than that prick George Galloway) for his contempt for the disabled, refusal to take responsibly for his own ineptitude (read the National Audit Office's reports into his Universal Credit cost overruns) and double standards which are eyebrow raising even by his colleagues from all parties usual snout in the trough standards.

His comments about those who used to be found work by Remploy beggar belief. Removing self respect and a sense of purpose for those have the odds stacked against them is without any defence IMO.
if you can afford to live round Knutsford, you must be richer than I thought

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
MPs are easily whipped. I'm more concerned about IDS forcing Tory MPs to vote for cuts that he then pretends to oppose.

It shows they are both useless. I don't normally bother with politics, sometimes I prefer to live in ignorance. They are all in it to keep themselves and their mates in power.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It shows they are both useless. I don't normally bother with politics, sometimes I prefer to live in ignorance. They are all in it to keep themselves and their mates in power.

Something we can all agree on.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
9 more years ... minimum. :whisky:

if you think that the good old British public are going to vote tory after the bloodbath to come you are more deluded than I thought
time again for some to go back to the liberal democrats methinks (or maybe even throw their lot in with nigel)
I for one would except a coalition of Labour and the LD's to start with

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
if you think that the good old British public are going to vote tory after the bloodbath to come you are more deluded than I thought
time again for some to go back to the liberal democrats methinks (or maybe even throw their lot in with nigel)
I for one would except a coalition of Labour and the LD's to start with

The last election had lots of left-wing voters who could not bring themselves to vote for the Liberals due to Clegg and how he led his party. By the next election I would expect that many of these in currently-Conservative seats will return to voting Liberal again: this will affect several seats in our area of the country. In addition, the EU vote will be finished, and those who didn't want to vote for the Liberals as it was a vote in favour of the EU and against a referendum will no longer have that problem.

The big question is how many others will be put off by the idea that voting Liberal will let in a very left-wing Labour party to power. The one thing the current Liberal leader does not have is any reputation for hard bargaining, so he would look a little like Labour did with the SNP at the last election. If Labour can get themselves back on track with a more centrist leader then I think they have a chance of power as the Tory/Liberal vote swing may several seats back into the yellow in the south.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
He's not doing it for the greater good of the disadvantaged. This is the man who closed down Remploy and claimed disabled people are 'not normal'.

This is to do with chasing votes for the 'Out' campaign.

Bit of a one-sided viewpoint no?
Don't forget he is also getting ready to pitch his hat into the ring against Osborne to replace CallMeDave when he finally retires to take full financial advantage of his multiple directorships/book rights/lecture tours. Gotta be seen to be the man and the party of the people innit........... :lolol:

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
It does look increasingly like a Brexit campaign based decision. In The Sun this morning there's two mentions of "Pro-Brexit" in relation to IDS along with one of "Compassionate welfare reformer". Also pointed out that if the vote is a yes for the EU Cameron would sack IDS in the aftermath.
I think you may be right.
Peter Bone on BBC Breakfast TV when asked about IDS's departure immediately started banging on about the "15 billion" going to the EU and that Brexit would provide all the money needed to avoid welfare cuts so no EU would have meant that IDS wouldn't have had to resign.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
The last election had lots of left-wing voters who could not bring themselves to vote for the Liberals due to Clegg and how he led his party. By the next election I would expect that many of these in currently-Conservative seats will return to voting Liberal again: this will affect several seats in our area of the country. In addition, the EU vote will be finished, and those who didn't want to vote for the Liberals as it was a vote in favour of the EU and against a referendum will no longer have that problem.

The big question is how many others will be put off by the idea that voting Liberal will let in a very left-wing Labour party to power. The one thing the current Liberal leader does not have is any reputation for hard bargaining, so he would look a little like Labour did with the SNP at the last election. If Labour can get themselves back on track with a more centrist leader then I think they have a chance of power as the Tory/Liberal vote swing may several seats back into the yellow in the south.

IMHO this might well happen, Corbyn has put them on the right track,and contrary to opinion he is no ones fool he knows that to get power they will need to soften,and as I said before someone will appear out of the pack to lead now he has done the legwork so to speak.......................the thing they need is some time, but with the tories falling apart will they get it?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
IMHO this might well happen, Corbyn has put them on the right track,and contrary to opinion he is no ones fool he knows that to get power they will need to soften,and as I said before someone will appear out of the pack to lead now he has done the legwork so to speak

i think you're being hopelessly optimistic, politicans dont think like that generally and, far left, statist, marxist politicans even less. even if it was his plan, you have to consider if the others around him would go with it, and then the Momentum group and other Corbynits back a centerist candidate. lets see how well they cope with the Trident split this spring. and on top of that, you are assuming that post Brexit the Tory's will fall apart, they've lived with simmering split on europe for 25 years, im sure they can carry on. so many things have to align.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here