Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I wonder what Burke would have done with all this dosh?

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Oh I'd wiped Dobbie from my memory, such a shame you mentioned him...pinch, did that actually happen?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Sure there's a degree of fishing here but irrespective of that, the millions being spent this summer does seem to be at odds with last seasons available 'up front' spending.

Certainly, transfer fee spending is up. It had to be, given the low base Burke created in terms of the (lack of) quality in our squad last season...

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Yeah you're quite right.
Even though Burker was employed by the Albion, for exactly a year prior to Leo's arrival, he had nothing to do with the transfer.

Please don't make out Burker was responsible for everything that was shite.
Yet everything that went well at that time, Stockdale, Walton, Stephens (not my choice) Ince, is all down to someone else.

It rather cheapens your argument.

Of course Burke was involved in the final deal, but Poyet had known about him for a long time before he signed and it was the passport situation that stopped him signing earlier. You will see in this BBC report Poyet new about Ulloa when he was still playing in Argentina. "And the Brighton boss says he has been monitoring Ulloa for some time.
"I know him from Argentina and I follow Spanish football closely so I have been aware of him for a while.
The problem was that he was not available because he didn't have a European passport".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21050648

You can hardly claim he was a Burke find.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Yeah he had to make do with our 3rd biggest signing of all time and 10 other signings that he approved that all contributed to the biggest playing budget in history of club. This year looks a lot better but it's a myth to think Oscar or Sami didn't have big budgets. They did. Bigger than Gus.

Oscar’s budget was committed to Gus's players plus Kemy. Sometimes budgets sound like managers can spend where in reality Oscar had zero. £4m came in from Bridcutt and Barnes, and Stephens was brought in for about £400k as an emergency because of Crofts injury.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Oscar’s budget was committed to Gus's players plus Kemy. Sometimes budgets sound like managers can spend where in reality Oscar had zero. £4m came in from Bridcutt and Barnes, and Stephens was brought in for about £400k as an emergency because of Crofts injury.

Oscar had zero apart from the £2m for Grabban ..except we ended with DaveR, .and Upson, Andrews, and the fortune spent on Kemy not easily dismissed. Etc The budget they have isn't "transfer fees", it's fees + wages. He had a big budget. And he finished 6th. He had a bigger budget than Gus.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Of course Burke was involved in the final deal..

You can hardly claim he was a Burke find.
Well no he has a team of scouts . As does Paul Winstanley.
But he closed the deal. He oversaw some good signings and some bad signings and in the end was sacked. Too many bad ones .
But Why no credit, at all, for the good ones. ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Certainly, transfer fee spending is up. It had to be, given the low base Burke created in terms of the (lack of) quality in our squad last season...
Yes the playing budget is higher than last season.Barber confirmed it at the forum last week.
As it was last season. It was "substantially" higher than 13/14 and 13/14 was about c£1m+ higher than 12/13.

As for quality who knows. We shall see. Kemys or Leos ?
But both expensive.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oscar had zero apart from the £2m for Grabban ..except we ended with DaveR, .and Upson, Andrews, and the fortune spent on Kemy not easily dismissed. Etc The budget they have isn't "transfer fees", it's fees + wages. He had a big budget. And he finished 6th. He had a bigger budget than Gus.
All Oscar would have needed to do was employ one player on a £1 contract to have a bigger budget.

It's clear DB wasn't allowed to bring in £5 - £10m worth of quality in for Oscar and Sami.

The initial outlay was pitiful and that ended up showing on the pitch.

Sami's team wasn't let down by quality players, it was let down by a mounting lack of investment.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
All Oscar would have needed to do was employ one player on a £1 contract to have a bigger budget.

It's clear DB wasn't allowed to bring in £5 - £10m worth of quality in for Oscar and Sami.

The initial outlay was pitiful and that ended up showing on the pitch.

Sami's team wasn't let down by quality players, it was let down by a mounting lack of investment.

How do you define investment ? The playing budget ?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

We didn't get Grabban ???

I know what a budget is, but it doesn't reflect on what a manager can spend when it is already spent. You make it sound as if Oscar was blessed to have what he had.

It's a bit like saying you can have a £200 budget for your food shopping followed by it's already in the kitchen and close to or past the use by date.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How do you define investment ? The playing budget ?
Yes the playing budget.

All of a sudden the club has found multi millions of pounds to bring in some potentially exciting signings.

Sure money has been made in the transfer market, but that's all relative when carrying such a massive on going debt.
Of course money has been saved from the wage bill, but that's been instantly spent again on the replacement players.

Yet the money spent, up front in transfer fees, far exceeds anything been spent before.

Had money been spent on decent signings a year ago, instead of freebies and loanees, we might not have had such a crap season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Was the millions spent on Baldock, stockdale, Holla, COG, Kayal, colunga "pitiful" ?
What's that total spend compared to this Summer, with more rumoured to be on the way?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We didn't get Grabban ???

Of course. But the accounts and public statements of the club show that Funds were made available for Oscar and substantial funds for Sami.. Oscar's squad cost £1m+ more than Gus. His overall spend went up.
Whether they made the most of it. Who knows. Why Do you think they had less to spend or it was "pitiful" ?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Yeah he had to make do with our 3rd biggest signing of all time and 10 other signings that he approved that all contributed to the biggest playing budget in history of club. This year looks a lot better but it's a myth to think Oscar or Sami didn't have big budgets. They did. Bigger than Gus.

He was talking about Hyppia's season, why mention Oscar? Also, I'm sure it's been mentioned about a bazillion times now but you seem to ignore it, but I'm willing to say it again, the cost of football is increasing every season and as a result it's likely that the clubs expenses will rise accordingly. It's not ground breaking, it's not boggling economics, it's not a sign of Bloom going for broke every season, it's just how it goes. I'd imagine every single club still in this division has larger outgoings this year than they did last year, and the year before that. Also worth remembering the club isn't trying to exist on a shoe string playing in a shit hole, the club has progressed, it's evolving into something far larger and all consuming than it's ever been, so guess what...the expenses will increase.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
At least we seem to be getting it right now (tempts fate)...
It certainly feels that way, my mojo is very much on the up.
It's good to see Tony clearly had enough of last seasons BS, along with the rest of us.
Gotta love having a fan as the boss.

Not to mention maybe last seasons receipts stung even more than we thought.

Better mojo = more spending.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hmmm ...... I think I'll head back to the thread about CH being the most boring manager we've ever had.........

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yes the playing budget.

All of a sudden the club has found multi millions of pounds
Had money been spent on decent signings a year ago, instead of freebies and loanees, we might not have had such a crap season.
All of a sudden - nope. We spent heavily last season. Let's hope these players this year deliver. But bloom hasn't suddenly coughed up.
Decent signings - let's hope so. But not necessarily related to free transfers or loans.
They still cost a fortune . And anyway we also bought Baldock, stockdale, colunga, cog and Holla on long permanent contracts/fees for millions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here