Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I wonder if this will have any effect on the purse strings at Reading

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
No the bit , "currently earmarked for redevelopment", as well as the Millennium Madejski Hotel.
But the current owners are looking to sell the stadium, the club and the training ground. ??
Yes this was the main interest in purchasing the club as this massive development was the real reason end of and most reading fans know this.Reading are not a great investment in footballing terms although not many clubs are these days due to players wages.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sounds like a classic case of asset stripping to me. I wonder how much that hotel contributes to the Reading revenue streams?

Why woud ANYONE want to stay in a hotel in Reading? Easy acces to Swindon? FFS :lolol:

Ophir89

Nov 30, 2016
Reading fan in peace.

The Thai owners have never hid the fact that they have actively sought additional investment in Reading football club from day one of their ownership, whilst all the while keeping the football and the club's expensive CAT 1 academy status ticking over.

The Thais had a steep learning curve following their purchase from a Russian billionaire's son who enjoyed playing Fiffa football for real with his fathers fortune and the club's premier league money and then parachute payments and other assists, all of which nearly sent the club into administration.

The first thing the Thais did after stabilising the club financially was to dismiss Nigel Adkins and appoint Steve Clarke who presented himself as the real deal but failed to deliver. He eventually lost his job after showing disloyalty. Then a brief spell reunited the club with Brian McDermott, an appointment advised by then Director of Football Nick Hammond. Both Hammond and McDermott have since left the club with McDermott returning to Arsenal (sacked) and Nick Hammond moving across as Director of Football with West Bromwich Albion.

Bringing things up to date, the Thais have always desired the landscape around the Madejski stadium and now have permission to push their property development plans forward.

http://i4.getreading.co.uk/incoming/article10268448.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/royal.jpg

With their plans pretty much rubber stamped for the redevelopment of "Royal Elm Park" and with the pre season appointment of Jaap Stam as first team manager the value of both football club and training grounds are attractive to two Chinese billionaire investors. It would appear the time is now right to introduce these investors who are reported to be on the verge of agreeing a 75% majority shareholding of Reading FC along with stadium and substantial training grounds at both Hogwood and the newly acquired Bearwood Park. All indicators point to this deal going through and therefore Reading can expect a busy January transfer window with Jaap Stam and his Ajax pal and now Reading FC Director of football Brian Tevreden pulling the stings on transfers in a bid to secure promotion back to the premier league for the third time. The Chinese money will fund squad strengthening and once back in the premier league, I wouldn't be surprised to see the home of RFC relocate to new purpose built stadium to make way for future development around the new Royal Elm Park development. It's been 18 years since we first walked into a brand new Madejski Stadium and I guess it's fair to say the excitement of a shinny new stadium has long gone. But one thing you can all be sure of Reading will always be that tinpot club that keep you lot on your toes and looking over your shoulder. All the best for the second half of the season. Much love OilRoyal, you can find ime on HNA

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This is almost as funny, what a prat :lolol:

https://youtu.be/N35ekaIWJ04

Reminds me of this when we won at Forest.
DSC_1068.JPG

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This is Reading's last season of parachute payments isn't it ? ???

The Thais seem to want to keep the profit making bits and sell the loss making parts ( ie the football club ).

Grim times for Reading if this goes through.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If this Chinese pair were not fit and proper persons last summer when they tried to buy Hull, why are they now? What's changed? If they failed to pass a test that the likes of Cellino and Yeung got through, just how bad can they be?

theroyal

May 11, 2014
I think most Reading fans know they were after the land mainly and they've made no secret of wanting/needing more investment for the club side of things. To be fair to them, the Thais have come in and steadied the ship - we were one player sale (Adam Le Fondre) away from going into administration when they arrived.

If these two are fit and proper (which evidence leads me to believe it could be a bit of a concern) and they have cash and want to invest, then fair enough. I just hope they don't disrupt things on the pitch right now - feels like this has come at a really awkward time.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think most Reading fans know they were after the land mainly and they've made no secret of wanting/needing more investment for the club side of things. To be fair to them, the Thais have come in and steadied the ship - we were one player sale (Adam Le Fondre) away from going into administration when they arrived.

If these two are fit and proper (which evidence leads me to believe it could be a bit of a concern) and they have cash and want to invest, then fair enough. I just hope they don't disrupt things on the pitch right now - feels like this has come at a really awkward time.

Did the land that surrounds the ground belong to the club initially or did they (the Thais) buy it separately?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I like how they all come over giving it large to the Burnley fans, compounding the fact that they have all made massive tits of themselves.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
He must have a really long left arm. It droops right down out of shot before re-appearing on his sisters left shoulder.Wierd or what?

As I said having a sibling is unique in China. He's got to keep her in arms reach before the government says she must "go for extra training" to some camp in the mountains.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Did the land that surrounds the ground belong to the club initially or did they (the Thais) buy it separately?
Considering the whole area was a dump literally 20 odd years ago I'm sure madejski owned it all possibily and maybe green park as well.Not sure but it seems the club do own that land and big big money will be made from this huge development and a new train station will also be built.

Ophir89

Nov 30, 2016

Yes the land surrounding the stadium is owned by the club/Thais. If the Thia owners are to sell they will be selling 75% of their shares in the stadium, the football club and assists (players), the training ground and Bearwood golf course which has planning premission for a new cat 1 training facility. The Thais will retain 25%.share in the football club, retain the surrounding area with planning to complete the Royal Elm Park deleopment and the hotel attached to the ground.

I'm not too sure what all the fuss is about. How many other championship clubs own a hotel and multi acres of land surrounding their stadium. When a club goes up for sale it's the for sale for it's ground, playing staff assist and training ground, which is exactly what is proposed as for sale to the two Chinese billionaires

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here