Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I was wrong

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Sorry but the 2nd Burnley goal was not a good goal.

Watch Keane strike Goldsons face to give himself space and a free header. Had the ref seen it, Keane would've been sent off. Not a fair goal at all.

Oh please. Stop looking for any feasible excuse.

We were poor defending corners all afternoon and burnley looked for all money like they were always going to get their equalizer. defenders and attackers grapple with each other at EVERY corner so nothing new there. The reason we didn't win is because we didn't kill the game off when we had our opportunities. Nothing to do with the ref, Barton, sidwell or any other player/ manager you want to hold responsible.

Chances came and went, then predictably we got nervous/tired and allowed Burnley to pin us back in the last 20.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
then predictably we got nervous/tired and allowed Burnley to pin us back in the last 20.

Burnley started pressing us near the end. We didn't allow them onto us, they decided to play less defensively. That's usual in football when a team is losing. Similar to the Southampton home game back in 2010 when we drew 2-2. (Dean HAmmond)

Easy to point out the errors but the reality is, we were just very unlucky.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Burnley started pressing us near the end. We didn't allow them onto us, they decided to play less defensively. That's usual in football when a team is losing. Similar to the Southampton home game back in 2010 when we drew 2-2. (Dean HAmmond)

Easy to point out the errors but the reality is, we were just very unlucky.

Bad luck had nothing to do with this result. We missed our chances to kill the game off, that's not bad luck

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Bad luck had nothing to do with this result. We missed our chances to kill the game off, that's not bad luck

We were winning right up until the 93rd minute. I agree we should definitely do better at finishing off teams, but I don't think we self imploded like some are trying to make out.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

We were poor defending corners all afternoon and burnley looked for all money like they were always going to get their equalizer. defenders and attackers grapple with each other at EVERY corner so nothing new there. The reason we didn't win is because we didn't kill the game off when we had our opportunities. Nothing to do with the ref, Barton, sidwell or any other player/ manager you want to hold responsible.

Chances came and went, then predictably we got nervous/tired and allowed Burnley to pin us back in the last 20.

I actually though we delt with their other 7 corners really well.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

I think CH made a tactical blunder when he replaced Hemed with Sidwell - aka lets pack the midfield and hold what we have [again].
Full credit to Burnley for switching to route-one and taking our now packed midfield right out of the game.
We failed to stop their route-one = poor tactically.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Having watched the FL show I was wrong as both Burnley goals were perfectly good goals and down to our poor defending. There was only 1 Burnley player stopping Stockdale which is normal practice but there was also a Brighton player there compounding the problem. Calderwood being an ex centre back has got to work on Goldson and Dunk to attack the ball more when a cross comes in from a set piece.

The reason Stockdale is not my player of the season despite many excellent performances is that his biggest shortcoming is not coming for corners

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
How the Burnley player (Vokes?) managed to trap the ball for their first goal was interesting - it seemed to get stuck between his foot and shin. It was either an outrageous piece of skill or dead lucky. I suspect the latter.

Was it not Stephen Ward? Thought he trapped the ball, leaned into Bruno and Gray slammed it in.

It was Ward.

Watch the highlights. Bruno has him in a bear hug. As the flick on comes across Ward traps it because Bruno shoves him in to it. It was a complete fluke. Then Ward sits on Bruno. Could have easily been a penalty if Pawson had seen the hold Bruno had. could easily have been a free kick to us if he'd seen Ward sit on Bruno. But he saw eff all for the entire afternoon.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing

Agree 100%

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
We were winning right up until the 93rd minute. I agree we should definitely do better at finishing off teams, but I don't think we self imploded like some are trying to make out.

Agreed, we didn't self implode.

We gave them a chance by missing our opportunities and they took one, or two if you count the goal that wasn't given.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It was Ward.

Watch the highlights. Bruno has him in a bear hug. As the flick on comes across Ward traps it because Bruno shoves him in to it. It was a complete fluke. Then Ward sits on Bruno. Could have easily been a penalty if Pawson had seen the hold Bruno had. could easily have been a free kick to us if he'd seen Ward sit on Bruno. But he saw eff all for the entire afternoon.

Glad someone else said it, perhaps I feared a roasting. Bruno looked to be yanking at Ward and I've seen them given. I found myself shouting at the screen about Bruno potentially costing us penalties because he seems to do it every time. Much the way in which Dunk doesn't seem to do it quite so much now.

Overall we deserved to win yesterday. It's this sitting back with half an hour to go that I just don't get.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here