Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] “I think he's an Albion fan", Athens/AEK edition

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Good idea.

3 of us on flying out of Stanstead on the Wednesday morning (29th) Ryanair 09.35

Back from Athens into Gatwick on the Friday evening. Leaving Athens at 9.50pm

Staying in Monastiraki (will have to check name of Apartment)

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I started that Ajax thread with good intentions of updating the opening post to group people on same flight/staying in the same hotels, but it quickly became an utter pain in the arse due to many people only giving vague information. I started looking up flight numbers and times, but it just became too time-consuming to do.

But it did seem to kinda work, as people could scan posts to find others who had posted plans that coincided with their own.

So, let's make this that "official" thread for Athens - post your details here and find those you may be travelling with!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Out 08:00 flight Wednesday
Back 13:25 flight Sunday

Gallery Residence 26, Pireaus

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Not getting the train?

Traitor.
I didn't fancy the 72 Hour journey via, Drum Roll please. Brighton to London, London to Brussels, Brussels to Stuttgart, Stuttgart to Zagreb, Zagreb to Belgrade, Belgrade to Skopje, Skopje to Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki to Athens. Also on the Zagreb to Belgrade leg there is this note: This train is still suspended, originally due to Covid-19, now down to Croatian & Serbian incompetence.

So then the alternative route is. London to Paris, Paris to Vienna, Vienna to Bucharest, Bucharest to Sofia, then bus to Thessaloniki, then train to Athens, bit of a headache but I did have a look.

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
Outbound W94467 - 15:40 on Weds
Luton – Athens

Return W74468 - 22:00 on Friday
Athens - Luton

Staying at Evripides Hotel

Last edited:

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Most of my crowd on the boozy 10:50pm Wednesday night Gatwick flight.

I’m on the easyJet Manchester Wednesday 07:50am flight.

Got a place in Monastiraki too.

Heading back via Milan and a weekend of Italian calcio

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I didn't fancy the 72 Hour journey via, Drum Roll please. Brighton to London, London to Brussels, Brussels to Stuttgart, Stuttgart to Zagreb, Zagreb to Belgrade, Belgrade to Skopje, Skopje to Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki to Athens. Also on the Zagreb to Belgrade leg there is this note: This train is still suspended, originally due to Covid-19, now down to Croatian & Serbian incompetence.

So then the alternative route is. London to Paris, Paris to Vienna, Vienna to Bucharest, Bucharest to Sofia, then bus to Thessaloniki, then train to Athens, bit of a headache but I did have a look.
When I went interailing in 2011, the international trains out of Salonika were all cancelled "because of the financial crisis".
I'm starting to think the first and default response to literally any problem in that part of the world is "cancel all trains to/from Greece."
I did train down through France and Italy then ferry across to Patras, then bus to Athens. I imagine it's doable in less than 72hrs if all the connections work*.

*Yes I did do ferry and train to Marseille. No, the connections did not all work.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
29th Nov Manchester to Athens 7.50 am
2nd Dec Athens to Manchester 9.00 am

Staying at Acropolis Select Hotel.

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
Out Wed 15:40 Wizz from Luton
Airbnb
Back Fri 21:50 Wizz to Gatwick
24hr Spoons
Train at some point Saturday morning

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
After spending an absolute fortune on two Euro trips the wife insisted on coming along for this one. Booked a Tui holiday for the week at less than the two previous trips.
Out Sunday 26th at 6:45 am!! Easyjet from Gatwick
Staying at the Browns Acropol 4*
Return Saturday 2nd on the 21:50 to Gatwick
£1100
Having never been to Athens, I intend having a good look around for two days before joining the crowd on Wednesday & Thursday.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
When I went interailing in 2011, the international trains out of Salonika were all cancelled "because of the financial crisis".
I'm starting to think the first and default response to literally any problem in that part of the world is "cancel all trains to/from Greece."
I did train down through France and Italy then ferry across to Patras, then bus to Athens. I imagine it's doable in less than 72hrs if all the connections work*.

*Yes I did do ferry and train to Marseille. No, the connections did not all work.
I had a look at the ferry route as well, but decided against it. Did look very enjoyable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here