Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] I still think we'll get Europe

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
I'm really pissed off by today and how awful it was but I still think we'll get Europe.
I think Villa and Tottenham drawing on Saturday would be the best case scenario and we now need to perform and gets 3 points vs Villa and Southampton but we still have a great chance

Beat Villa and Southampton and Spurs + Villa don't win on Saturday = we qualify basically

Last edited:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
And so do I.

Won v United. Lost today. 3 points from the last 6. Could've been better of course, but it's good enough.

Continue that form and we'll be fine for top 7. I don't see Villa beating Spurs and Liverpool.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We may or may not but I give Everton full credit for the job they did on us tonight, it was not that we played poorly more that they scored in under a minute and played out of their skins. Pickford had an absolute blinder, as expected for an away keeper at the Amex.

Onwards and upwards, at least we have a decent recovery period before the next game, I fear March and Veltman are done for the season though which is a big blow for our hopes of making Europe.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
There's still a chance but for me its a very, very slim chance.

Its fine margins at this stage of the season when the race is so tight. We've left ourselves a lot to do in the final games and only have one 'easy' game on paper.

It's been an incredible season though, hopefully one we'll remember for the highs and not the disappointment of coming so, so close.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Agreed, Villa and Tottenham drawing is the best case scenario.
But Southampton (H) isn't a walkover, a (possibly) relegated team who will go into this South Coast Derby with no pressure.
Plus, Villa (A) is an incredibly difficult game, their fans will be ready for it (especially if Europe is on the line) and we will have to get a good result under massive pressure.

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011

Its fine margins at this stage of the season when the race is so tight. We've left ourselves a lot to do in the final games and only have one 'easy' game on paper.

It's been an incredible season though, hopefully one we'll remember for the highs and not the disappointment of coming so, so close.
How is it thin? IF we beat Southampton and Villa we get at least 7th. That's without taking points from City Arsenal and Newcastle. It's very possible we do that

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
How is it thin? IF we beat Southampton and Villa we get at least 7th. That's without taking points from City Arsenal and Newcastle. It's very possible we do that

It's a big IF though. It's hard to recover from a result like that, a very different result to the Forest defeat.

Even if we return to our best we'll probably be well beaten by Arsenal and Newcastle by which time our confidence will be shot to pieces.

Hope I'm wrong but tonight's result feels season defining.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
We may or may not make Europe but come on - we have much more than a very, very slim chance ffs 🙄

We have tough fixtures but so do villa especially plus we have 2 games more than them and currently 2 points ahead.

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
It's a big IF though. It's hard to recover from a result like that, a very different result to the Forest defeat.

Even if we return to our best we'll probably be well beaten by Arsenal and Newcastle by which time our confidence will be shot to pieces.

If we can go from a 6-0 win and a 1-0 lastmin penalty win to this performance today then I'm sure we'll be able to bounce back. De Zerbi just needs to start dropping players who are out of form (Mitoma) and reward players who look hungry (Enciso)

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023

I think it will be interesting to see how the players react at Arsenal, can they show their fight and determination after a poor result - perhaps getting a good result?

The fans will also be massively important at this point of the season, they will need to support the players as much as possible, once we give up it will influence the team's attitude too.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The best thing to do is just write the match off, looks at the table, and realise that you never expected us to be in this position. Then see the two games in hand, Villa having to play Tottenham and Liverpool, and realise how little has changed except that the outside chance of the Champion's League has gone.

Then everything seems much, much, better.

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing

If we return to our best then I can assure you we won't be well beaten by Newcastle and Arsenal. At our best, we're a very good team. But continue with the bed wetting...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If we return to our best then I can assure you we won't be well beaten by Newcastle and Arsenal. At our best, we're a very good team. But continue with the bed wetting...
Exactly this!

Unfortunately many of our fans still have this inferiority complex, which is of course fully understandable, given our history. But our record against both Arsenal and Newcastle in the Premier League is pretty good and, just as you say, we're a very good team.

The way we bounced back from the Forest game also shows this squad is resilient and full of character. RDZ wouldn't have it any other way.

brighton_dave

Apr 13, 2016
Controversially what impact would Europe have on our league position? We already seems to be struggling with fatigue which will bring on injuries. If we make it I think our league position will be compromised unless we have a decent summer of recruitment.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Controversially what impact would Europe have on our league position? We already seems to be struggling with fatigue which will bring on injuries. If we make it I think our league position will be compromised unless we have a decent summer of recruitment.
That'll be a lovely problem for Tony Bloom and the recruitment team to have to deal with.

But seriously, I think we'll be fine. We've started to line up / bring in players already.

Enough to both stay up comfortably and have a decent crack at Europe would be more than enough for me.

Last season, Leicester made the Conference SF and West Ham made the Europa SF. They finished 8th and 7th respectively.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well your last point is crucial. We'll need a decent Summer of recruitment in order to cope.

From memory, certainly Burnley struggled badly in the League in the season they played in Europe (I think it was only one season?) Seem to remember Fulham struggling a bit too, and West Ham certainly haven't pulled up any trees in the League this season, whilst getting to the SF of this Conference League.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I think it means we now definitely need to beat one of Newcastle, City and Arsenal. I think we’re capable of doing so, but in true Brighton fashion we’ve made it hard for ourselves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here