Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] I played my first football in 3 years this evening...

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Well done mate. I played parks football from 14 until 38 and then started playing with a group of people from work until a knee replacement stopped me in my tracks. I started playing again last summer after five years away, just before my 51st birthday - only in goal. I was immobile and rusty as anything but by God I was so happy to be out there and also involved in that whole team mickey taking that goes with it. Six months later, my mobility is better and the reflexes are back and I cherish every Wednesday night when I'm able to get down and play for 60 minutes.

One thing though - you will ache tomorrow and it will probably be worse on Friday but it is worthwhile!

I know - i’m starting to feel it already... I won’t be able to move in the morning - ha! But i’ll be buzzing nonetheless.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I’m about to resume my career at 34 here in Sydney in the over 35s next season - need to find a team but can’t wait to play 11s again. Have been regularly playing futsal but I miss semi competitive football - what is the general atmosphere like where you play??

I might be able to help you there as i have a mate (Albion Fan) playing in Sydney. If you want I can find out his team and PM you. I met his team last year, while I was up there I went to watch him play and went for a beer after. Decent bunch I found.

Atmosphere is good down here in Geelong, one team are a it agressive and irritating but mostly everyone is aware that we are in it for the social side and need to be fit for work on Monday. The tackle that broke my collar bone was a one off nasty tackle in a Sunday league game. The problem we have is that we've only had 4 teams over the last few years so it has got repetitive. We are starting a Master pub league preseason comp in Feb which will hopefully bring in a few more teams.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I am lucky, or have been in terms of an active job as a Ranger - I walk miles every week (for work) and I swim alongside now getting back into football. Having two young children kind of torpedoes stuff for a while BUT i’ve not felt this good in years - yep i’m aching but i’m chock full of the adrenalin good stuff.

Magic.

Almost as good as sex.

But not Rock and Roll.

Where are you a Ranger? I guess Darkwood isn't actually a real place??

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Some inspirational stuff in here ... thanks chaps. It’s great to read how people have overcome injury etc. To still have a go at the game we all love!

Keep the stories coming.

These are the threads that make nsc ‘happen’ - for me anyway.

Love our unique family, I don’t think other clubs have such a wide array of brilliant people following them. I really don’t.

God, I am high. Oh well.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Some inspirational stuff in here ... thanks chaps. It’s great to read how people have overcome injury etc. To still have a go at the game we all love!

Keep the stories coming.

These are the threads that make nsc ‘happen’ - for me anyway.

Love our unique family, I don’t think other clubs have such a wide array of brilliant people following them. I really don’t.

God, I am high. Oh well.

And tomorrow, or more likely the day after, you will be aching!!!

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Where are you a Ranger? I guess Darkwood isn't actually a real place??

Ha - no I work in deepest Northumberland. Lost in the woods ‘ever searching for the trees. It’s a calling really, i’ll always be a million pounds short of being a millionaire but the things I see each day make me feel like the richest man in the world.

Here is the view from ‘my office...’

View attachment 119171

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Ha - no I work in deepest Northumberland. Lost in the woods ‘ever searching for the trees. It’s a calling really, i’ll always be a million pounds short of being a millionaire but the things I see each day make me feel like the richest man in the world.

View attachment 119171

National Park Authority? I work for the Lake District - RoW legal stuff.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Out of interest Kosh - how old were you when you started posting on NSC ?

I'm reeling from the fact you're 38!

It's a beautiful game.

I started ‘contributing’ in 97/98 so I would have been roughly 15-16 - i did think rather morbidly that my nsc journey might at one point make me the longest or oldest living contributor - if indeed time gives me her grace...

It’s been a long journey, and we’ve travelled it together old friend.

Yes - it’s a wonderful, beautiful game.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I’m actually employed by the water industry - hence the valve tower in the pic, which is genuinely just outside our VC or office.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
@%1;
I started ‘contributing’ in 97/98 so I would have been roughly 15-16 - i did think rather morbidly that my nsc journey might at one point make me the longest or oldest living contributor - if indeed time gives me her grace...

It’s been a long journey, and we’ve travelled it together old friend.

Yes - it’s a wonderful, beautiful game.

Rock on.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
I started playing again at age 42 when a group of Dads from my daughters school started a kick around. Then joined a local league playing Over 35.

I was never much good at football but this was all in Canada where, even though it was mainly expats, the standard was probably quite a bit lower than it is in England.

I kept playing until I was 59........11 a side outdoor in summer and 6 a side indoor in winter.

The oldest age group was over 45 until they started an over 50 group a couple of years before I packed in. There were quite a few folks in their late 50s and early 60s playing. The oldest I played with was a very sturdy 72 !

As everyone has said, the football was brilliant but the locker room and the pub were even more difficult to leave behind than the actual playing.

I have mates who have started playing walking football. They all say that it is good fun and the camaraderie is the same as the real game. So, I'm thinking of giving that a go.

Jordy

Exiled Seagull
Dec 1, 2009
Fair play to you [MENTION=494]Kosh[/MENTION], always felt I stopped playing too early (only just turned 36), and just before xmas my lads team put in a very poor performance so one of the other Dad’s said that ‘Us Dad’s’ would even beat them. The lads fancied the challenge and last training session of the year we was due to have a Lads v Dads match which I was buzzing about as sad as it sounds.

Sadly the clubs charter status or whatever forbid it on health and safety grounds, even though they’re under 16’s and several lads are bigger/stronger than some of the Dad’s. Gutted, worlds gone mad with all the health and safety rubbish!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

View attachment 119171

Nice.

Pretty much where I expected to end up, when I finished my degree in Countryside Management. Almost 30 years of an entirety unrelated career later, I often wonder about a more tranquil, more worthy, line of employment I was ‘meant’ to follow.

Tough, tough industry, where for every ‘decent’ job on mediocre pay, there are 15 unpaid roles, filled by a stream of eager volunteers, keen to do their bit.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I gave up football when I was 38ish. I never thought I'd play again, until a mate arranged a 5-a-side booking at Portslade Community College when I was 40.

We moved to Stanley Deason two years later, but 7.30 on a Sunday night was our time...and it still is, nearly 18 years later. We've had some comings and goings, but there is a core of about ten of us who have been there for the long haul. Often on a Sunday it is the same guys playing who were playing back then.

I love it, and it's a great way to see your mates every week. We are all older and considerably fitter than when we started (I was wretching behind the goalposts after ten minutes of that first game).

We are football.We ain't never gonna give it up.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

View attachment 119171

Is this a common English saying or is it just pure brilliance?

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Good for you, miss that feeling. Had to retire age 25 after rupturing ACL, MCL and tearing cartilage. Played Sunday league and for 2 5 a side teams. Had ligaments grafted and arthroscopies but was never the same.

Mid 30s now and can't run, golf only.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I started playing again at age 42 when a group of Dads from my daughters school started a kick around. Then joined a local league playing Over 35.

I was never much good at football but this was all in Canada where, even though it was mainly expats, the standard was probably quite a bit lower than it is in England.

I kept playing until I was 59........11 a side outdoor in summer and 6 a side indoor in winter.

The oldest age group was over 45 until they started an over 50 group a couple of years before I packed in. There were quite a few folks in their late 50s and early 60s playing. The oldest I played with was a very sturdy 72 !

As everyone has said, the football was brilliant but the locker room and the pub were even more difficult to leave behind than the actual playing.

I have mates who have started playing walking football. They all say that it is good fun and the camaraderie is the same as the real game. So, I'm thinking of giving that a go.

Go for it. Walking football can be quite energetic and competitive - try holding yourself back! I get a buzz from it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here