Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I Pad vs I Pad Mini

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Any views which is best?

I'm not sure this is a question about which is best, but rather how do you intend to use it?

The mini is pretty much the same, only smaller....

Get yourself to the Apple Store in Brighton to try them out, see which one you fancy. In terms of specs. and performance, there is not a lot in it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
IPad mini if you haven't already got an iPhone or iPod Touch, or you're not that bothered about watching videos.

In every other instance, standard iPad.

Although [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] will probably suggest having both, for every eventuality...

Wally Gould

Jul 10, 2011
I'm not sure this is a question about which is best, but rather how do you intend to use it?

The mini is pretty much the same, only smaller....

Get yourself to the Apple Store in Brighton to try them out, see which one you fancy. In terms of specs. and performance, there is not a lot in it.
Thanks, will do.

Wally Gould

Jul 10, 2011
IPad mini if you haven't already got an iPhone or iPod Touch, or you're not that bothered about watching videos.

In every other instance, standard iPad.

Although [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] will probably suggest having both, for every eventuality...

Got an IPhone4s. Looks like it will be a standard I Pad. Thanks.

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
Ipad mini is like ipad 2 but mini version..

Ipad 3 is top of the range, with higher pixel special Retina display/higher graphics then mini ipad and bigger screen!

I know what I'd rather have.....

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
The normal iPad is a top of the range tablet computing device.

The iPad Mini is a lower specced smaller, cheaper version without the nice display. It should cost an awful lot less than it does.

Most tech commentators have been unimpressed with the iPad Mini and the general concensus is that the Nexus 7 is a superior product at a better price point.

If you want a smaller device for one hand use, go with the Nexus 7. If you want a larger device, the new iPad looks very good BUT if you don't need all that power you may be better off going for the older iPad 2. Don't go with an iPad 3 as their performance is hampered by the high res screen which it wasn't powerful enough to properly support.

Or take a look at the new Nexus 10 device which is the same size as the regular iPad but with a better display and a lower price.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I can't tell the difference between a retina display and one that isn't. So iPad Mini for me!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's an impossible choice to make.

photo.JPG

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Unless you consider price and specifications, in which case it's a very easy choice to go with the superior Nexus hardware

I'll give you price, but not specification. Beyond that there are a whole heap of other factors - ecosystem, tablet app support (woeful in Android land - mainly blown up phone stuff - Google are trying to address this, but it's taking a very, very long time), product build, manufacturer support in event of post-purchase issues etc etc.

You stick to your cheap plasticy stuff if it suits you and I'll stick to my over-priced crap as it suits me. I'm out of this thread.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I think my new IPad is a terrific piece of kit. I use mine mainly on the train commute, either for watching TV programs, some net surfing, some book reading. For watching the TV for an hour a day, I wouldn't want to be using an smaller screen, than the IPad. Totally depends what you want to use it for.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
You're right. I'm wading into a fight that wasn't there. Apologies.

So you should apologise. You NEVER hear Apple people chiming up when someone is comparing 2 Android products, never.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think my new IPad is a terrific piece of kit. I use mine mainly on the train commute, either for watching TV programs, some net surfing, some book reading. For watching the TV for an hour a day, I wouldn't want to be using an smaller screen, than the IPad. Totally depends what you want to use it for.

Interesting point. We don't have a TV in the bedroom, so I'll use the iPad with iPlayer and the like in bed on occasion.

I took the iPad mini up last night to catch up on Homeland. Whereas the full sized iPad would rest against my legs nicely giving a great picture, the iPad mini was probably too light - I couldn't feel it was there through the quilt and any sort of movement at all had it moving all over the place. The screen size itself wasn't an issue, I don't think but the form factor just felt a bit lacking.

On the other hand, the mini is perfect for in-bed reading - I don't need the light on as I do with the Kindle, and the full size iPad is a bit unwieldy when you're on your back reading.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here