Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I have seen the greatest ever acting performance I have seen in a film in my life.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Sad in a way, obviously, if this is the greatest acting performance you have ever seen in your life, there's not going to be another one like it along for a while ? so, you may as well stop watching films as there will be nothing along for a while to even remotely rival it, even Transformers 4 ( 5-6-7) .....Uncle, its good, maybe very good but lets try to keep our feet on the ground.

Oh f***ing do one. I have come on here with my opinions but have had the usual baiting and slagging off. Why is it not possible to have a debate without people making me out to be a complete c*nt ? I don't deserve it and I do not understand it.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
All I want is a debate. Disagree with me for sure but the lazy baiting and trying to get a bite is not on. I really really do not understand what I have ever done to deserve such shit from NSC as I just try and do my own thing and have my opinions but I never slag anyone off or do any nasty posts, only in retaliation so what the f*** is going on ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Oh f***ing do one. I have come on here with my opinions but have had the usual baiting and slagging off. Why is it not possible to have a debate without people making me out to be a complete c*nt ? I don't deserve it and I do not understand it.

Er Uncle, I'm not slagging you off....not mentioned the C word either, I'm suggesting there may be even better acting performances in the near future.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Er Uncle, I'm not slagging you off....not mentioned the C word either, I'm suggesting there may be even better acting performances in the near future.

Yes respect

Sad in a way, obviously, if this is the greatest acting performance you have ever seen in your life, there's not going to be another one like it along for a while ? so, you may as well stop watching films as there will be nothing along for a while to even remotely rival it, even Transformers 4 ( 5-6-7)

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

and have you actually seen the film or what I am talking about ? , thought not

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Out of interest [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION], what was the best acting performance you had seen prior to this? I always find it hard to be so black and white about things.

Am off to see Lincoln tomorrow and will report back, but I tend to find I'm watching DDL act rather than watching the person. He tries so hard to embody the character that it become all about DDL and his dedication to the art. I hope this isn't the case here. And your title almost makes my point - how can you have an "acting performance"? If you are noticing how good the acting is surely you're missing the point of acting?

Interesting point this one.

I suppose we don't appreciate some wonderfully understated performances. Whereas Danial Day Lewis who acts his arse off and puts a whole lot of himself into his roles (loved him in Gangs of New York) always gets noticed for his performance. Is this to do with the roles that the actors choose/are given? I am thinking of Johnny Depp in this as well who often plays larger than life and off the wall characters and gains many plaudits.

I am trying to think of some understated performances to contrast with this but can't think of any......I guess they were too understated :)

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think you would have swerved most of the slagging off, had the greatest ever acting performance I have seen in a film in my life not been in Mr Spielberg's latest film.

I can't and won't dispute the statement, as I've not seen the film.
But had you referred to Mr A.N Actor in Joe Blogg's latest epic, people may well have been more interested in the debate.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
In seriousness, I think the best "performance" I have seen in a film is probably Jamie Foxx, in Ray. Purely because of the dedication he put in to getting his voice and mannerisms absolutely perfect. Also because I like that sort of music. See, thing is US, we all have a bias towards certain things. With me, I'm biased to that film because I like that sort of music, your biased to Lincoln because you like Spielberg. Honestly, nobody is being disrespectful, the whole point of this forum is that EVERYBODY HAS THEIR OWN OPINION. You seem to take the view of "If they're disagreeing with me, they're taking the piss out of me". Your a fully grown adult, surely you can see that logic?!?!?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think you would have swerved most of the slagging off, had the greatest ever acting performance I have seen in a film in my life not been in Mr Spielberg's latest film.

I can't and won't dispute the statement, as I've not seen the film.
But had you referred to Mr A.N Actor in Joe Blogg's latest epic, people may well have been more interested in the debate.

Ok. I am clearly wrong. All the awards are for a wank performance by all accounts on NSC and DDL was shit in Lincoln. Bad call on my part.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yes I must be missing the point.

tried to expand on it.

If it makes you feel any better this thread has made me really want to see this film and DDL's performance in it. Probably not a film I would really have bothered with otherwise (not a big Spielberg fan (this probably won't make you feel any better :)))

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
In seriousness, I think the best "performance" I have seen in a film is probably Jamie Foxx, in Ray. Purely because of the dedication he put in to getting his voice and mannerisms absolutely perfect. Also because I like that sort of music. See, thing is US, we all have a bias towards certain things. With me, I'm biased to that film because I like that sort of music, your biased to Lincoln because you like Spielburg. Honestly, nobody is being disrespectful, the whole point of this forum is that EVERYBODY HAS THEIR OWN OPINION. You seem to take the view of "If they're disagreeing with me, they're taking the piss out of me". Your a fully grown adult, surely you can see that logic?!?!?

You have not been here long then ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes respect

Sad in a way, obviously, if this is the greatest acting performance you have ever seen in your life, there's not going to be another one like it along for a while ? so, you may as well stop watching films as there will be nothing along for a while to even remotely rival it, even Transformers 4 ( 5-6-7)
thats called " banter " or also known as "joking " which can come under the umbrella of "humour " which also includes " satire "... Oddly, I manage to get along without using the C word or telling people to "do one " perhaps you should calm down and accept that alternate views to yours are acceptable on a forum thread and as such, do not constitute a "Slagging off ". and no,I have not seen it yet but I will and will see other films too and judge each on its merits

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Honestly, I haven't seen anything here that is slagging you off. Humour, yes, a bit of gentle teasing, yes. Being outright rude? No.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You have not been here long then ?

I have. and you do sometimes get a hard time...........not sure this is one of them though..................although if you carry on with the persecution complex it will be self fulfilling.

You are one of the best and most decent posters on here because of your sensitivity and decency but as well as being your greatest strengths they are also your Achilles heel. You are NSC's very on tragic hero........ I mean this in the nicest possible way.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok. I am clearly wrong. All the awards are for a wank performance by all accounts on NSC and DDL was shit in Lincoln. Bad call on my part.
You're hard work sometimes, then wonder why people's backs are up.

You make a subjective comment - fine.
Your opinions on this subject are prejudice - again fine.
The merest hint of a differing opinion and you come out swinging.

What gives?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
thats called " banter " or also known as "joking " which can come under the umbrella of "humour " which also includes " satire "... Oddly, I manage to get along without using the C word or telling people to "do one " perhaps you should calm down and accept that alternate views to yours are acceptable on a forum thread and as such, do not constitute a "Slagging off ". and no,I have not seen it yet but I will and will see other films too and judge each on its merits

Nice swerve from the obvious making me out to be a complete knob. I can take people disagreeing with me what I am getting so pissed off with is the clear agenda against me by a large swathe of NSC. I could understand it if I were scum and a bad person but I am not, not by a long way.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You're hard work sometimes, then wonder why people's backs are up.

You make a subjective comment - fine.
Your opinions on this subject are prejudice - again fine.
The merest hint of a differing opinion and you come out swinging.

What gives?

It is clear that the performance by any standards was excellent but on here it was shit apparently. So that says to me there is a clear agenda.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here