Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I have just got a third....

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Mcdonalds?

Alot of debt now with no great prospects on the horizan o deary me!

Start at the bottom and work your way up!

urbanjim

Oct 27, 2005
Dublin
Don't worry to be honest. Unless you had specifically lined up a career in said subject, then it shouldn't make a big difference.

I got the same, and I'm flying in my career. Why, only last week I got my third star on my badge!!*

*Not really.

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Just relax, sit back and try to figure out how you are going to pay off all your debts.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
stop pissing about being a lame-ass student and WORK for a living

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If your institution will allow you to resit individual units (although most won't), then grab the opportunity.

We had recruitment agents at Uni recently, and their message was "A Two-two is a no-no", and really stressed that employers are looking for good degrees before giving interviews.

Ultimately it is your ability to do the job that counts, not passing exams, and sometimes streetwise skills are far more important.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
hardly anyone has a job in the field that they studied at uni for, so I wouldnt worry too much

I do :)

SOrry to sound like a **** but HOW do you get a third? You can get a 2:2 by doing NOWT for 3 years.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think, as others have said, you leave the grade off on your CV, and highlight your other strengths and achievements.

For example;

'Joint Third place, in NSC 6-a-side 2007 Golden Boot award' ought to have them FIGHTING over you :thumbsup:

Seriously, maybe there is truth in what El Pres says, and things are a little different now, but in my experience your grade is almost irrelevant, unless it was a very speciallist course and you are intending to follow that particular path.

Certainly in the 16 years since I graduated no-one has once asked what grade I got or asked to see a certificate. Actually, I wuldn't even know where to find the certificate.

Me too, and I got a Desmond.

To be honest in most cases your degree just helps you get your first job; from there, as El Pres says, you can show competency in your job and that is what subsequent employers are much more interested in. It will though mean that you will have to stick around at least a couple of years in your first job, to get the experience necessary to lessen the impact of the degree.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Don't worry mate, I have done pretty well in life (as have many others) without the benefit of a university education...all it takes is belief in yourself and a willingness to work your bollocks off...and that for you starts now, good luck!

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I do :)

SOrry to sound like a **** but HOW do you get a third? You can get a 2:2 by doing NOWT for 3 years.

depends on the course and the university really

i mean i've worked like an utter bastard this year (first year) and got SHITE marks despite throwing the kitchen sink at every piece i've done (and most the pieces have been bitches to do)

compared to the same course at Brighton Uni , which by the sound of it , was a complete and utter doss with less exams and less & easier overall coursework

I have the feeling i might be asking the same question in two years time :(

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
depends on the course and the university really

i mean i've worked like an utter bastard this year (first year) and got SHITE marks despite throwing the kitchen sink at every piece i've done (and most the pieces have been bitches to do)

compared to the same course at Brighton Uni , which by the sound of it , was a complete and utter doss with less exams and less & easier overall coursework

I have the feeling i might be asking the same question in two years time :(

True. It is often down to the university. I managed to get a first, I did work hard but was surprised to be honest as I don't think I worked that hard over the 3 years. That was Pompey uni though, I reckon it would have been significantly more difficult to obtain a first from other institutions.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Apologise for hoovering up public money only to waste it with such spectacular incompetence?

Only joking - the advice about not putting the grade on your CV has got to be right. Don't lie about it but don't be defensive about it either. If somone asks why only a third you say that you had some personal difficulties during the course which - at one stage - led you to consider dropping out. That way you present completing the degree as a triumph in itself.

And - as others have said - once you're in a job it's pretty much a clean slate again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here