Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] I felt powerless - So I started filming’: one-man battle with dangerous drivers.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Then there are the weekend hoardes that think riding 2 or 3 abreast at 10-15mph is a good idea hogging the whole road. The worst.

They're actually doing the right thing. When there's a group of cyclists, they should ride in a pack. This reduces the amount of time that a car needs to overtake the entire pack shorter, and also "encourages" the driver of the vehicle overtaking to do so correctly by giving the cyclists the required room instead of trying to squeeze between the cyclists and oncoming traffic.

Never should a car / truck driver be expecting a group of cyclists to string themselves out in a long line hugging the gutter. It puts everyone in more danger, for longer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They're actually doing the right thing. When there's a group of cyclists, they should ride in a pack. This reduces the amount of time that a car needs to overtake the entire pack shorter, and also "encourages" the driver of the vehicle overtaking to do so correctly by giving the cyclists the required room instead of trying to squeeze between the cyclists and oncoming traffic.

Never should a car / truck driver be expecting a group of cyclists to string themselves out in a long line hugging the gutter. It puts everyone in more danger, for longer.

Which is why it's been passed into law.

Not that car drivers are aware of care.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Imagine being stuck opposite him for a meal. I bet he's about as much fun as a Billy Paynter BHA highlights video on repeat.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I reckon if I drive around London in a car I could catch loads of cyclists cycling through
red lights, cycling on the pavement and cycling down one way streets. Amongst many other
crimes. I agree with what the bloke is doing to an extent, but wish there were more
sensible cyclists around too who obeyed the rules.

I'm a cyclist and I'm not going to give you grief over that post. There are dickheads on bikes. There are also dickheads in cars. It's just the cars are more dangerous given their speed and size.

I wish cycling Mike was at the end of the road. The number of idiots who think they are Lewis Hamilton speeding around beggars belief.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I'm a cyclist and I'm not going to give you grief over that post. There are dickheads on bikes. There are also dickheads in cars. It's just the cars are more dangerous given their speed and size.

I wish cycling Mike was at the end of the road. The number of idiots who think they are Lewis Hamilton speeding around beggars belief.

Fair points Hamilton.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I reckon if I drive around London in a car I could catch loads of cyclists cycling through
red lights, cycling on the pavement and cycling down one way streets. Amongst many other
crimes. I agree with what the bloke is doing to an extent, but wish there were more
sensible cyclists around too who obeyed the rules.

What does that have to do with illegal driving?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Depends how fast they're going.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-56320121

I had a think about [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]'s original post, wondering whether this vendetta amounts to stalking. My conclusion is, no, it's a public service. If I had more time on my hands I might be tempted to do the same (or at least set up a decent dash cam - the number of goons I see doing 35 (it is 20 everywhere in Faversham) with a phone held to their ear as they bounce over the traffic calmers, here, is disturbing).

If we want whataboutery, what about Jimmy Savile and Jeremy Corbyn? Eh? ???

I used to take against this fella and those of his ilk, believing they just perpetuate the 'them and us' divide.

But as quoted above 1,800 deaths a year 27,000 serious (life changing) injuries, and it's blasē to the point of being laughed off - see replies to this thread.

The other day someone was bibbling on about a person having to suffer the shame of their driving convictions being reported - what shame?

There's no shame in driving convictions:-

Speeding
Driving while looking at your phone.
No insurance.
No MOT.

Very little shame in driving

Stoned
and/or
Drunk

While the law would imply killing someone is punishable by only 3 years in prison.

Yet here we are, 800 convictions, 1,800 deaths and but cyclists are the problem.

So I've come round to him, Jeremy Vine et al.
Us car drivers can't be trusted, and the police are unable to deal with the shear weight of offenders, so more power to these hero's of the road.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Cyclists only cycle on the pavement because they don't want to be hit and hurt by a damn two ton chunk of metal. I don't blame them one little bit

We are so far behind the curve on progressive thinking about sustainable transport as a real holistic approach across the board.

All this transformation to electric cars or whatever technology is going to be meaningless if we just swap motor vehicle for motor vehicle on our roads.....'but at least it's an electric powered rush hour gridlock'.
[MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] points out, a percentage of human beings are dickheads, so it matters not that drivers text, jump lights, do stupid things because an equal percentage of cyclists will behave the same - it's the human beings not the vehicles. It's just that getting hit by a push bike is likely to be walking away a bit angry rather than in an ambulance to an ICU.

Comes back to the overarching discussion about infrastructure and what we're going to do in order to give up our addiction and belief that it is a god given right to drive a car everywhere we want and when we want.

Many people require a vehicle as a necessity for their daily lives whether through work, disability or other requirement, but a huge number, especially in cities and towns they are just a convenience, not a necessity. Those where it is a necessity need to be prioritised, their journeys made easier at the expense of those whose journey is only a convenience.

My daughter is 18 in the summer, we talked about getting her a car, but why? We live in Hove, close to buses, trains, we all have bikes, surprising how far a brisk 40min walk gets you. We have 1 car we can share between us. We don't need a car each, it would be convenient of course, if one person has the car, and you need to nip out to the supermarket, but that is what needs to be let go of - that convenience is a necessity, it simply isn't.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I'm not buying this crap that cyclists are generally safer and not really a danger on the roads. I'm a driver, a cyclist and a motorcyclist but predominantly a motorcyclist. Every single day on a short 15 minute commute into Brighton City centre I see numerous cyclists jumping red lights like they are give way signs, not wearing protective clothing or helmets, weaving onto pavements to avoid traffic lights etc. I only have two wheels and could do exactly the same at the same speed but that would be stupid and irresponsible, cyclists seem to think it's OK though. They don't like being challenged on it either, usually met with foul mouthed abuse. Don't even get me started on scooter riders or food delivery mopeds!!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm not buying this crap that cyclists are generally safer and not really a danger on the roads. I'm a driver, a cyclist and a motorcyclist but predominantly a motorcyclist. Every single day on a short 15 minute commute into Brighton City centre I see numerous cyclists jumping red lights like they are give way signs, not wearing protective clothing or helmets, weaving onto pavements to avoid traffic lights etc. I only have two wheels and could do exactly the same at the same speed but that would be stupid and irresponsible, cyclists seem to think it's OK though. They don't like being challenged on it either, usually met with foul mouthed abuse. Don't even get me started on scooter riders or food delivery mopeds!!

As said above, they'll be a percentage of dickheads on or in every vehicle you see. I'm walking the dog regularly and I see a car jump the OSR / Hangleton Road lights at pretty much every rotation of the lights. And equally I will see the same number of motorists texting or on their phones. This happens all day every day. The only reason cyclists should have protective gear and helmets IS because of how unsafe the roads are, go into Europe and cities have no cycle helmets, no issues with red lights etc. less congestion in their towns and cities because they sorted their infrastructure out and their attitudes to transport. I doubt you see the motorists disobeying the rules and putting lives at risk because you're too busy being annoyed at the cyclists.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
So it took four posts for the "but cyclists are bad too!" to happen.

Personally given the choice I'd be hit by a bike than a car.

Personally, given the choice I'd rather be hit by neither.

I don't drive and I don't cycle. I use the pavements and when I want to cross the road, I understand that vehicles have right of way so I use a crossing. When I am using the pavements I don't expect to have dodge cyclists who are breaking the law as equally as idiot speeding / drunken motorists.

And your inference that it is better to get hit by a cyclist didn't hold true for this poor woman

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-45497026

Cycles can kill too.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Personally given the choice I'd be hit by a bike than a car.

I’d choose the……….Not to be hit at all ….option…..if you do a poll.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
We have 3 strikers (4 if you include Ferguson as a first teamer), you may as well start reading more interesting stuff like this rather than spending all January waiting for no-one to arrive. If anything the OP is providing a public service

I was taking the micky out of those that feel the need to doom-monger on every transfer related thread by doing the same on something completely non-football related. A not particularly funny thing to do I know, but I did it anyway, because it amused me for a second. However if you have taken me seriously here then I worry others may have done so also and that I have therefore become a member of the Voices of No New Striker Angst. I guess that is my own fault and I must accept it but can someone please tell me how I can resign my membership?

Also boo to cyclists and motorists who do it dangerously and boo to those that point to either of them to somehow justify their own dangerous actions.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I was taking the micky out of those that feel the need to doom-monger on every transfer related thread by doing the same on something completely non-football related. A not particularly funny thing to do I know, but I did it anyway, because it amused me for a second. However if you have taken me seriously here then I worry others may have done so also and that I have therefore become a member of the Voices of No New Striker Angst. I guess that is my own fault and I must accept it but can someone please tell me how I can resign my membership?

Also boo to cyclists and motorists who do it dangerously and boo to those that point to either of them to somehow justify their own dangerous actions.

I'll be honest, I have no idea what to take seriously anymore! :lolol: Consider my serious reply to a non-serious post revoked

SAC

May 21, 2014
Personally, given the choice I'd rather be hit by neither.

I don't drive and I don't cycle. I use the pavements and when I want to cross the road, I understand that vehicles have right of way so I use a crossing. When I am using the pavements I don't expect to have dodge cyclists who are breaking the law as equally as idiot speeding / drunken motorists.

And your inference that it is better to get hit by a cyclist didn't hold true for this poor woman

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-45497026

Cycles can kill too.

Very true, they can. However it is rare, 0.5% of pedestrian deaths (an average of 3 per year) are by cyclists. Over 300 pedestrians a year are killed by cars.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Very true, they can. However it is rare, 0.5% of pedestrian deaths (an average of 3 per year) are by cyclists. Over 300 pedestrians a year are killed by cars.

So far this thread has reference to 2 deaths caused by cyclists but nobody has mentioned:-

THE 1,800 DEATHS CAUSED BY CAR DRIVERS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here